The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 02-23-2010, 09:18 PM   #16
MilitantSquatter

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

NoviceBBQ - Q-Talk is a place to share on topic info so please be prepared to get solid answers to questions (from very experienced and those with less), and often at the same time personal opinion,experience from the same responders.

Q-Talk is not Burger King.. you can't always have it your way !!!.

Please keep this on-topic ... that is about vinegar...

Thanks from: --->
Unread 02-23-2010, 09:24 PM   #17
thirdeye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 2

Vinegar is kind of a wake-up for your taste buds, because it enhances other spices/seasonings. It's really weird, but most of us know we like it, but can't say why. I do believe that it has a tenderizing effect, but it has more of a subliminal flavor effect. I like the Eastern North Carolina vinegar based mops, partially because of the slight tartness of the vinegar with the spicy saltiness they deliver, but mostly because of the end result of the meat in general.

Many soups (especially the beef dumpling German ones) use vinegar at the end. Vegetables like collards and spinach benefit from a few drops of vinegar.

We all have some at home.... but when was the last advertisement for it you saw or read? Worcestershire sauce is the same way....

KCBS - CBJ
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
thirdeye is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 02-23-2010, 09:25 PM   #18
zydecopaws
Babbling Farker

For some reason, something my grandmother said keeps coming back to me here: You can catch more flies with honey than you can with vinegar. Attacking a long-time, well-respected member of the forum doesn't strike me as a way to make others want to help you out.

And since I don't wish to be accused of post-pumping, hijacking, or other unsavory behavior, I'll answer your question. I use vinegar when I want the flavor. Like on the pulled pork I cooked yesterday. I don't use it when I don't want the flavor, like on the chicken I cooked the day before, and the fish on Friday. Some things it goes with, others it doesn't.

Now I'm headed over to the penalty box where I can post without fear of being accused of "running up my post count".

MOINK Ball Wizard and ALF Award Recipient

Webers up the wazoo, a bunch o' Pyromids, Bubba Ho-Keg, and the CrockaQue
zydecopaws is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-23-2010, 09:28 PM   #19
Odin the Dog
Full Fledged Farker

My suggestions:
Pork- Apple juice and cider vinegar, sprayed
Beef-no, unless you want to spray with some red wine, my choice is a nice chianti
Poultry-Apple juice sprayed
Mops just tend to get wasted and mess up your cooker. Plus that little mop thingy is kinda the ghey.

/post-pump
Odin the Dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-23-2010, 09:30 PM   #20
CAustin919

Downloads:
Uploads:

There are several powerful enzymes found in different fruit and veggies, like Pineapple that can work quickly to break down the amino acids/collagen in meat products thus producing a more tender cut of meat. Some people believe that acid... vinegar, citrus, buttermilk... may have a similar effect.

Tenderizing and taste, I would think would be among the most popular reasons to use vinegar.

Hope that helps a little.

Thanks from:--->
Unread 02-23-2010, 09:34 PM   #21
NoviceBBQmovinUp
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoviceBBQmovinUp View Post
ok seriously, i am sorry for saying "Everyone" obviously not everyone does it

never mind... to those of you who just post to make your count higer, HAVE FUN!

HeSmellsLikeSmoke and Ron L ...thanks for answering my simple question

how am i being the bad guy...

1st- I said im sorry for using "everyone" and i edited it because i know everyone does not use a mop so i corrected my mistake
2nd- i am a member of forums and some people post just to make their count higher its frustrating and i was telling those ppl to have fun i got my answer and i would not be reading any longer. (I would not have come back here if it was not for one of the members sending me an inappropriate PM)
3rd-i thanked HeSmellsLikeSmoke and Ron L for answering the question i had because they answered it. i dont see how this is bad.
NoviceBBQmovinUp is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-23-2010, 09:36 PM   #22
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I consider vinegar to be a staple of a good kitchen, as a souring agent and acidifier, it is without equal. It is also the base for all of my sauces and marinades, I keep several in my kitchen at all times. It also functions well as a marinade and tenderizer for meat when used prior to cooking or in wet processes. I do not believe it has an effect on meat at temperature (as stated before) but it does add a nice flavor if mixed into pulled pork or used as a sauce component.

By the way, Stretch's Chicken is a Cape Cod variation on an Italian classic of a braised chicken in red wine vinegar dish. So I am not totally gonna discount the use of vinegar in braising.

Whip It Off, Chambers!

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-23-2010, 09:37 PM   #23
BBQ Grail

I will sometimes add a little white vinegar to my apple juice when I heat up my pulled pork. The vinegar seems to add a little extra bite that is complimented by many bbq sauces.

The best way to reach me is with email: larry@thebbqgrail.com
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-23-2010, 09:41 PM   #24
Odin the Dog
Full Fledged Farker

I like to use a little splash of AC vinegar on my baked beans.
It's a trick I learned from my ex-wife's Grandpappy.
He died from pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis.
(NOO-muh-noh-UL-truh-MY-kruh-SKOP-ik-SIL-i-koh-vol-KAY-no-KOH-nee-O-sis)

Unread 02-23-2010, 09:43 PM   #25
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoviceBBQmovinUp View Post
how am i being the bad guy...

1st- I said im sorry for using "everyone" and i edited it because i know everyone does not use a mop so i corrected my mistake
2nd- i am a member of forums and some people post just to make their count higher its frustrating and i was telling those ppl to have fun i got my answer and i would not be reading any longer. (I would not have come back here if it was not for one of the members sending me an inappropriate PM)
3rd-i thanked HeSmellsLikeSmoke and Ron L for answering the question i had because they answered it. i dont see how this is bad.

PM sent...

This will conclude any off-topic posts unrelated to vinegar

We now resume to your regularly scheduled programming

Unread 02-23-2010, 09:49 PM   #26
BRBBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Sometimes I mop and some times I don't. I'm not into the vinegar taste as much as people east of KC, brother-in-law loved it when I put it on ribs. Maybe I should try some again.
BRBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-23-2010, 10:00 PM   #27
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Novice I PM'ed ya. Anyways to me I think of vinegar as a flavor enhancer kinda like salt. In moderation that is. My dad used to put vinegar on corned beef and now I can't eat it without doing it myself. Im not sure if it's enhancing it or it's just habit now. But I know I like it.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-23-2010, 10:18 PM   #28
Odin the Dog
Full Fledged Farker

It took me about 15 mins to edit this post. So I'm sorry if the paddles were deployed for talking about general mopping science.

Vinegar. Do you like vinegar? put it on your meat if you like it. Some people don't like the taste of vinegar.

Some people can't stand Cilanthro. Due to some genetic (mal)function, approx. 50% of the populace perceives the taste of Cilanthro to be like nasty caustic soap. Just a hint of Cilanthro will put these people off a bowl of great Guacamole faster than a dick in the bowl of grits.

The same thing is true with people that eat asparagus. There is a certain genetic (dis)order that transforms the wee-wee (still in Q-talk?) into a foul cess-puddle of wrank, nose wrinkling goodness. Yes I have that gene, yes I enjoy it (my own).

So, long story short -if you like vinegar, put it on your food.

?have you checked the ingredients of your significant other's douche bag?

Unread 02-23-2010, 11:15 PM   #29
jas25120
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Vinegar in BBQ Sauce

I watched Desert Dweller do a cook for about 50 people. He was making some bbq sauce, and asked for apple cider vinegar to "cut the acidity of the tomato paste" (correct me if I am wrong Bo). We didn't have any apple cider at the time, but had some blackberry vinegar. Tried that, and ended up with some of the best bbq sauce I've ever had, and the vinegar absolutely cut the acidity of the sauce.
jas25120 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-23-2010, 11:47 PM   #30
bigabyte

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 1

You're problem with vinegar (I'm guessing) is that you are not enjoying the taste. Get some good vinegar. Most vinegar, especially the white stuff you get at the store, tastes like pure crap. If your store has a health food section, or if you have a Whole Foods or something like that in your area, go look for a kind of apple cider vinegar labeled as organic, and is either cloudy or has some stuff settled on the bottom of the bottle. You'll be glad you did.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the BBQ Brethren Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club member
bigabyte is online now   Reply With Quote