The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 02-21-2010, 08:06 AM   #16
dudz
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Older pork\pig has a stronger flavor to it..most pigs are killed young and are more tender and milder flavor older hogs have a more strong porky flavor ....its the same with cows young cows that are veal...they have a milder flavor and are more tender, but a large cow has a more beef taste that we all know. Its all about the age of the animal.

Unread 02-21-2010, 08:43 AM   #17
seattlepitboss
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
I had some pork at a restaurant the other day that was just really bad. It had this strong "porky" flavor. I have noticed that flavor several times in pork but this was the worst.

What causes it? Is it the pork? It is the age of the pork? Is it the cooking method? How can it be avoided?
Meat that at some point wasn't handled correctly. Still safe to eat, it no longer tastes like fresh top quality pork.
seattlepitboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-21-2010, 09:05 AM   #18
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts

I don't know what causes it, but I can spot it. The darker pieces have a more porky flavor. If you want it more mild, go for the lighter pieces. My wife will always pick the package of chops that are darkest -- she likes this flavor.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-21-2010, 09:18 AM   #19
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 1

I also notice this in the darker pieces of meat, and I believe packaging plays a part in this as suggested earlier. I have noticed that the twin-packs I get from Sams tend to cook up with more of this dark meat and more of this flavor than the butts I get at a butcher I like going to. I prefer the butts from the butcher for this reason, but still get the twin packs from Sams when the price gets really low and I buy a case of them to stock up.

Wild boar tastes gamey, but I doubt a restaurant was serving boar without advertising it to make it sound all "exotic" and charge extra for it.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the BBQ Brethren Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club member
bigabyte is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-21-2010, 09:30 AM   #20
Boshizzle

Thanks, guys. I like the flavor of pork, I just don't like that strong, fatty, flavor (what ever it is) and the best part is the burping of it. You can enjoy the meal over and over again for several hours. lol

Fresh pork flavor like that from well cooked shoulder or broiled pork loin is good stuff. But, every once in a while you run into that "porky fatty" (is that a better description?) flavor that just sucks.

I did buy some ribs from Wegmans a while back that had it and I decided not to buy Wegman ribs again because of it. Maybe I will look for the lighter color meat from Wegmans and give that a try.
[COLOR=royalblue]18.5" & 22.5" Weber Kettles - Smokey Joe and Mini-WSM - [/COLOR][COLOR=royalblue]Bubba Keg - [/COLOR][COLOR=royalblue]#2 La Caja China[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Chargriller Outlaw[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Impeccably Accurate BLACK & RED Thermapens[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]KCBS CBJ[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Operation BBQ Relief Founding Member[/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue]I am Obsessive Compulsive about BBQ. Google it.[/COLOR]
Boshizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-21-2010, 09:33 AM   #21
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat Burner View Post
just farkin with you bro! All in fun with the brethren. Good question but it was just wide open for a right hook.
Lol, I know. After I hit the "post" button I had one of those moments kind of like the one you just at the point that you let go of your car door and realize that your keys are still in the ignition and will be locked in as soon as the door slams. But, this time it was the thought, somebody is going to have fun with post.
[COLOR=royalblue]18.5" & 22.5" Weber Kettles - Smokey Joe and Mini-WSM - [/COLOR][COLOR=royalblue]Bubba Keg - [/COLOR][COLOR=royalblue]#2 La Caja China[/COLOR]

Unread 02-21-2010, 10:40 AM   #22
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
I also notice this in the darker pieces of meat, and I believe packaging plays a part in this as suggested earlier. I have noticed that the twin-packs I get from Sams tend to cook up with more of this dark meat and more of this flavor than the butts I get at a butcher I like going to. I prefer the butts from the butcher for this reason, but still get the twin packs from Sams when the price gets really low and I buy a case of them to stock up.

Wild boar tastes gamey, but I doubt a restaurant was serving boar without advertising it to make it sound all "exotic" and charge extra for it.
I think it's a beast-by-beast thing happening. The large packs of thick-sliced boneless chops they have at Costco usually are all quite light, but there are some that are significantly darker. These are all packed on the same day. Every once in a while there is a pack that is mixed, I suspect having parts from two different beasts.

I have no idea what these beasts eat, but if they are given a mixed bag of items to eat, this could simply be a reflection of what that particular animal liked to eat out off their own dinner plate. Certainly that meat is a big function of what that animal is eating. The jamon in Spain labels the diet of the particular pigs and the difference is significant.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-21-2010, 10:45 AM   #23
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
I think it's a beast-by-beast thing happening. The large packs of thick-sliced boneless chops they have at Costco usually are all quite light, but there are some that are significantly darker. These are all packed on the same day. Every once in a while there is a pack that is mixed, I suspect having parts from two different beasts.

I have no idea what these beasts eat, but if they are given a mixed bag of items to eat, this could simply be a reflection of what that particular animal liked to eat out off their own dinner plate. Certainly that meat is a big function of what that animal is eating. The jamon in Spain labels the diet of the particular pigs and the difference is significant.

That's a good point. My father raised hogs all the time. He only fed them grain and, on occasion, corn. The meat was always good tasting. I noticed that the meat we would eat from some other folks that we knew who raised hogs would sometimes have that "porky, fatty, strong" flavor and usually the the hogs it came from were fed what we called "slop." Slop was table scraps and whatever else they could find to feed the hogs with.

Unread 02-21-2010, 10:53 AM   #24
bigtex52
Got Wood.

I think as pork gets past it's prime, the fat tends to go a little rancid. I believe that might be what you are tasting. I do suppose, however, that what the pig was eating has some influence on what it tastes like, and we know that what hog farmers feed their stock can span an awfully wide spectrum.
NB Hondo Offset
2 WSM
Weber One Touch Silver
Large SS Virco Gasser
bigtex52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-21-2010, 10:56 AM   #25
dudz
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
Thanks, guys. I like the flavor of pork, I just don't like that strong, fatty, flavor (what ever it is) and the best part is the burping of it. You can enjoy the meal over and over again for several hours. lol

Fresh pork flavor like that from well cooked shoulder or broiled pork loin is good stuff. But, every once in a while you run into that "porky fatty" (is that a better description?) flavor that just sucks.

I did buy some ribs from Wegmans a while back that had it and I decided not to buy Wegman ribs again because of it. Maybe I will look for the lighter color meat from Wegmans and give that a try.
I like using megmans ribs...but it depends where you get them from you can get them fresh from the butcher or in cryovac ... Ive never had a problem with them