The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:09 AM   #1
BRBBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Default prepping competion meat

I read some where that you can prep your meats before a comp, like trim fat ect. I don't see this in the KCBS rules. Is this a gray area in rule 7) If I could clean, wash and trim all meats at home, then I would do this since the comp is only 3 miles from my house. I know you can't inject or season meats, just curious on prepping it.
BRBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2010, 04:34 AM   #2
jrbbbqer
Got Wood.

I was thinking the same since the out of towners have rv's to prep it in. I don't know what they would say when they inspect your meat like if you brought spares already cut st. louis style.i would try to ask or call them ahead of time about this though.
jrbbbqer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2010, 05:38 AM   #3
Peteg
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRBBQ View Post
I read some where that you can prep your meats before a comp, like trim fat ect. I don't see this in the KCBS rules. Is this a gray area in rule 7) If I could clean, wash and trim all meats at home, then I would do this since the comp is only 3 miles from my house. I know you can't inject or season meats, just curious on prepping it.
It's perfectly fine to trim ahead of time. Just don't season or inject with anything. It's not a bad idea to keep the price sticker from the original package. I typically trim all meat Thursday night and then vacuum pack the stickers inside the new package.

https://www.facebook.com/IronsideSmokers/

Smoke Syndicate
BBQ team
Insulated vertical smoker
34" x 72" Custom Build "Slag"
Peteg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2010, 06:02 AM   #4
chibi
Full Fledged Farker

I like to trim at home also. not rushed and comfort of home. Yes it can be trimmed.and I keep the org. sticker but have never had a problem.

Vertical insulated charcoal dropping clone.
Homemade offset.
Traeger LilTex for winter cheating.
<><

Remember when you get in the
storms of life that's when you have to learn to dance in the rain.
chibi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2010, 06:21 AM   #5
Finney
is one Smokin' Farker

I do everything but chicken at home.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:23 AM   #6
BBQ_Mayor
is One Chatty Farker

I've done this a few times and had no problems. You can trim the meats but you can't inject or season until it has been inspected.
WSM, Whole Hog Lousianna pellet Smoker
IPT pellet Smoker and Gateway Drum
CBJ #4643
BBQ_Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2010, 06:30 AM   #7
tonto1117
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peteg View Post
It's perfectly fine to trim ahead of time. Just don't season or inject with anything. It's not a bad idea to keep the price sticker from the original package. I typically trim all meat Thursday night and then vacuum pack the stickers inside the new package.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ_Mayor View Post
I've done this a few times and had no problems. You can trim the meats but you can't inject or season until it has been inspected.
What they said. Good idea like Peteg said to save sticker from the original packages.

Geer Pit by Jambo
FEC-100
WSM
WEBER GENISES GAS GRILL

CBJ

Bacon & eggs - Hens are involved but pigs are commited.
tonto1117 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2010, 07:03 AM   #8
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

prep all you want before a comp, as said b4..dont inject, brine, rub, season , etc...

as far as the labels...I dont save them because I really dont get them. I buy my meat by the case and the only thing I could do is show the kill date, which wont help because I may keep it frozen for a month or so..

Sal
Smokin' Gnome BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2010, 07:49 AM   #9
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

My first couple of comps I did all of the trimming there. What a pain. Next I started trimming my chicken at home, then added the ribs, and finally the brisket. I really makes life a LOT easier when you just have to pull out a cryo-sucked package of chicken rather than having to trim it... I've actually gotten quite used to getting a nap in on Friday afternoon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finney View Post
I do everything but chicken at home.
Interesting.... I start with my chicken because it's the biggest PIA. The only thing I don't trim is my pork butt because it's like what, a 5 minute job?

In fact, I'm looking at starting my trimming early this year because we are doing so many comps. I've never had a problem freezing the meat so my plan is to trim out enough for the first 5 or 6 comps and then just keep up with it as we go along...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' Gnome BBQ View Post
prep all you want before a comp, as said b4..don't inject, brine, rub, season , etc...

as far as the labels...I dint save them because I really don't get them. I buy my meat by the case and the only thing I could do is show the kill date, which wont help because I may keep it frozen for a month or so..

Sal
I couldn't agree more since I buy at RD by the case there are no labels on the individual packages and since I freeze all of it, the kill date means nothing. the one thing I do is have the guys weigh out and label each package of pork because of the weight rule...
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2010, 08:05 AM   #10
Mike - CSBBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

[QUOTE=Divemaster;1187553]My first couple of comps I did all of the trimming there. What a pain. Next I started trimming my chicken at home, then added the ribs, and finally the brisket. I really makes life a LOT easier when you just have to pull out a cryo-sucked package of chicken rather than having to trim it... I've actually gotten quite used to getting a nap in on Friday afternoon...

Interesting.... I start with my chicken because it's the biggest PIA. job?

Amen!

CHIX, SWINE & BOVINE Bbq.
Because Bad BBQ is Downright Criminal

[COLOR=#000080]csbbbq.com[/COLOR]
KCBS & MABA member - CBJ #21870
Jambo (Geer) Pit
Lang 84 Deluxe w/roof system
Lang 60 w/warmer
Mike - CSBBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2010, 08:11 AM   #11
Peteg
Full Fledged Farker

I'm with Dive on the pork. Only thing you've gotta watch out for is getting a bad pack of pork. If you're bringing 4-6 shoulders, not really a big deal.. But if your only bringing 2, you might want to open it ahead of time and at least make sure it smells good.

https://www.facebook.com/IronsideSmokers/

Smoke Syndicate
BBQ team
Insulated vertical smoker
34" x 72" Custom Build "Slag"
Peteg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2010, 09:35 AM   #12
Alexa RnQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

We went from trimming everything at home, to being so busy that the ONLY time we had to trim was at the contest, and are trying to work our way back to pretrimming.

We've only had one ill-informed meat inspector try to tell us that pre-trimming was not allowed, and since then we've kept a printout of the KCBS rules in our kit.

Rhythm 'n QUE
Alexa RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2010, 09:44 AM   #13
BRBBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Thats what I was thinking, trim every thing at home, wash it up and take it to the comp, seems like it'd be easier and less things to do. Thanks for info.
BRBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2010, 09:47 AM   #14
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivaHerself View Post
We went from trimming everything at home, to being so busy that the ONLY time we had to trim was at the contest, and are trying to work our way back to pretrimming.

We've only had one ill-informed meat inspector try to tell us that pre-trimming was not allowed, and since then we've kept a printout of the KCBS rules in our kit.

I always have a copy of the rules, not just for me but also new teams that havent done any research at all.
Smokin' Gnome BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2010, 11:24 AM   #15
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivaHerself View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' Gnome BBQ View Post
[/COLOR]

I always have a copy of the rules, not just for me but also new teams that havent done any research at all.
I not only carry the rules, but also a copy of all of the Rep. Advisories. Believe it or not, two Reps and I have had to review them a couple of times....
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote