ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > For the Board

Notices

For the Board *On Topic Only* Strictly moderated. NO BAD KARMA! This forum is for questions and discussions you would like reviewed by members of the KCBS(or other BBQ orgs) Board of Directors. A clean and direct place where they do not have to wade thru day to day chatter.

Unread 02-18-2010, 01:41 PM   #16
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merl View Post
KCBS has come close. We had a major organizer of multiple contest change the prize money. KCBS instructed the Reps not to go and notified the organizer. The organizer backed down.

A few other times, it did not come that close, but KCBS has had to protect the cooks.

Other times, KCBS has required financial assurances, when the issue of protecting the cooks as to the "cash prize money" payout has been an issue, as a requirement of sanctioning.

Merl
Thanks for being willing to get on here and discuss, Merl.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2010, 05:05 PM   #17
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

Token support of cooks. So running off a promoter that will cost us approximately $32,000 in revenue to KCBS (in Ron Cates' words) and a major association with NASCAR is protecting the cooks? Now and immediately (as in this coming April when Lulu takes place) or for the long haul and doing what's best for the organization?

Disclaimer: I have also never cooked a Cates production, nor do I necessarily plan to do so, nor have I ever spoken to or met Ron Cates in person.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2010, 05:10 PM   #18
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

Where is the BS button?

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Unread 02-18-2010, 06:09 PM   #19
arlieque
Full Fledged Farker

Does anyone really know how much money KCBS makes off a contest? You might be surpried to know that there is nothing left after costs. KCBS makes its money off the 12,000 membership!

Organizing BBQ Contests Coast to Coast

www.arliequeevents.com
www.bestolehickorypitsdiscounts.com
arlieque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2010, 06:18 PM   #20
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

Arlie, that was part of my point.... it is in KCBS best interest to be visable and have these (like your events) high profile events. You get members by being out there.

I'd love to see the number of members the tour trailer drives. Mike and Chris do an amazing job, and there are mobs of folks everytime I am out at an event it is at. What percentage of those folks become members after those demos?

All the judging classes have to be huge for KCBS also...

Of course the other thing is that most members are not comp cooks LOL
Unread 02-18-2010, 06:49 PM   #21
Smoke'n Ice
is one Smokin' Farker

On another forum, someone mentioned that there are over 250 contests listed on KCBS with 45 of them with a payout number. Using the numbers projected out, the payout to cooks will be in the neighborhood of 2.4 million dollars. If we factor in the Cates contests (4 or 5) then the payout goes to 2.9 million dollars.

I fail to understand why cooks would favor 4 or 5 contests over more than 250 contests and payouts to more than 4 or 5 cooks.
Smoke'n Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2010, 07:27 PM   #22
PimpSmoke
is one Smokin' Farker

Jeff,

I like you in person man. Even though I have never een at a comp with you, the times we spent talking at Greg's during the bash and the crap we tossed back and forth thereafter, but I gotta say.

This whole Cates fiasco and your comments have me searching for a BS button as well.

KCBS is an organization. They sanction contests. The whole idea of a sanction is to have a governing body to makes things work out (rules and such). If what Merl is saying is true, and I'm sure it is, then the BOD truly is looking out for the cooks.

The only thing I can think of is some kind of bull**** faction or alliance thing going on between teams and organizers. Where I come from they call it a "sweetheart deal".

Everybody wants to scream about money talks, well it goes both ways.Tell me why this is not correct. Tell me how this Does NOT protect teams and their investments in entry fees?

Please.
I heard the rip when you sat down.

Last edited by PimpSmoke; 02-18-2010 at 07:45 PM..
PimpSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Unread 02-18-2010, 07:49 PM   #23
monty3777
is One Chatty Farker

delete

Last edited by monty3777; 02-18-2010 at 09:05 PM..
monty3777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2010, 12:52 PM   #24
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Sounds to me that someone has sour grapes!

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2010, 08:18 PM   #25
arlieque
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoDeDo View Post
Arlie, that was part of my point.... it is in KCBS best interest to be visable and have these (like your events) high profile events. You get members by being out there.

I'd love to see the number of members the tour trailer drives. Mike and Chris do an amazing job, and there are mobs of folks everytime I am out at an event it is at. What percentage of those folks become members after those demos?

All the judging classes have to be huge for KCBS also...

Of course the other thing is that most members are not comp cooks LOL
Andy some people just listen and like to stir the pot, they dont really know the numbers. I dont know about the trailer but it is all about sponsorship that makes it work! As for sanctioning fees, the larger contest costs more to run with all the cards, PC and shipping etc. Membership makes the 400K, Bullsheet doesnt even pay for itself in ad fees. Organizers like me that have 12,000 in there database dont really have to run ads, we run them if we have to give print to sponsors. Just like I am putting together a new contest that will allow LP snokers again, I will send out emails and with in a few days all the teams will know what is going on. Hope to see you soon, Arlie Bragg

Organizing BBQ Contests Coast to Coast

www.arliequeevents.com
www.bestolehickorypitsdiscounts.com
arlieque is offline   Reply With Quote