ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 02-17-2010, 06:58 AM   #31
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver View Post
I didn't really know what to expect since I had not cooked this way before.(intentionally) I typically do not use a temp probe for the meat. I used an instant read this time because I wanted to document what was happening. It was at 165 at the 3 hr mark which surprised me but I went with it and foiled. At the 5 hr mark, it was 200 and the probe went in like buttah so I pulled and rested. Again, I was surprised. The UDS definitely cooks faster than my offset. On a low and slow cook, the UDS trims 2-3 hours from what my offset takes with same meat and similar temps. I can't speak to the physics of it, I just try to adjust the techniques based on the smoker used. I do not flip briskets on the UDS nor do I mop. I put it on fat side down and leave it alone.
Yeah, I wish I understood why cooking direct gets it done so much quicker. I guess it's a matter of moving the coolness from the meat out of the pit more efficiently. I've just always flipped the meat per the BDS website instructions (unless using a diffuser), but I'll have to try leaving it alone. Actually, I have left chicken unturned, but I've found that ribs needed to be turned or the bone side would get pretty dark. I never turn them if I have a diffuser in place and, cook sub 225 in the UDS for results. jThat's just been MY experience, and maybe it's a fluke.

I'm still amazed at how fast you got that brisket done! I guess it goes to show the inconsistancy in meat.

Regards,
Dave
UDS, wsm, wots, char-griller
Dave Russell is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-17-2010, 07:25 AM   #32
mfdfyrecaptain
Knows what a fatty is.

Dang it man!! Just woke up and about to make some breakfast and what do I see? One bad mamah jamah brisket ! Looks real good ! Now if I can just cook one in an hour for breakfast I will be good :)

Unread 02-17-2010, 07:52 AM   #33
kickassbbq
is One Chatty Farker

I'll bet you don't take 13-15 hours to get really great Brisket any more!!!!

PARTY!!!!!

Unread 02-17-2010, 08:12 AM   #34
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Great job Muff! Look at the muscle fibers or rather the space between them... the absence of fat and collagen shows us that is tender as all get out PLUS sliceable.

Now you could do the while thing fat down and then flip it when you were thinking about wrapping it and just panning it. This softens the flat bottom a bit while preserving the top bark. But its no big deal.

On the temp thing and the confusion about hot and fast. There is somewhat a new kind of vernacular about hot and gast. You had very hot like about 450 grilling with a certain amount of time set in a cooler spot to cook. The opposite of this would be the less precise temps below grilling. Measurement devices for determining temp? Hands, sounds, noises so it was quite general.. no one was bbqing at a precise given temp.

This is why we have come to the new surprise that temp flare up like going to 300 or whatever do not completely murder your meat.

Then you had the term low and slow come up... which more precisely used to cover temps under the gilling temps.

However, in recent years, as the internet spread its web.. more people would see one guy cooking at 250, then assume, i will go lower, then the next guy lower than his, until you get a bunch of guys trying to struggle with making good cue at 215.

Here then we have a newer def of hot and fast which differs from the older one. Considering what the popular consensus was a year or two ago, above 250 now would be considered hot and fast. In addition, 250 degrees now with out UDS, Kettles and Oven (offsets) was COMPLETELY different than 250 in an open pit as only one side was getting the heat.

Like I said.... Great job on the vittles!

Quote:
I have been on a good roll with briskets and had low & slow down on the UDS. I've been hesitant to try a hot and fast cook but I let my drum temps get out of whack superbowl weekend and salvaged a really good product so I decided to try it for real.

Started with a 14.5 lb full packer and I trimmed more fat than I normally do since it was going to be a faster cook:

My "in the drum" pics are on my phone. I used plowboys bovine bold and ran the UDS at 275 center grate temp. At the 3 hour mark, the IT was 165. I foiled with a little broth. After 2 hours, the IT was at 200 so I pulled to rest. Rested 1 hr and this was the result:

I am very pleased. My "usual" process takes 13-15 hours. The bark is softer from foiling but I am very pleased with the flavor, appearance and tenderness. I actually remembered my new year's resolution and kept a log of the entire cook with hourly updates. Hopefully, I will be able to do this again.

Unread 02-17-2010, 08:15 AM   #35
ChiefOsceola
On the road to being a farker

Looks good enough to eat! Myron would be proud of the hot and fast cook.

Newbie question. Which part of the below cut would become the burnt ends? I hear y'all talking about them and I've seen pics after they're cooked but still unclear where they come from.

Quote:

Unread 02-17-2010, 08:27 AM   #36
Smokey Al Gold
is Blowin Smoke!

That looks awesome! Why spend 15hrs when you can do it like that! Good job!

Creator of:
"The Great Chicken Sammich Debacle of 2010"
Smokey Al Gold is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-17-2010, 08:43 AM   #37
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefOsceola View Post
Looks good enough to eat! Myron would be proud of the hot and fast cook.

Newbie question. Which part of the below cut would become the burnt ends? I hear y'all talking about them and I've seen pics after they're cooked but still unclear where they come from.
The burnt ends would be made by seperating the point from the flat and putting it back on the cooker. Referring to your pic, the narrow end on the right is the point, and the wider, flatter end on the left is the other end of the flat. They overlap.
Dave Russell is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 02-17-2010, 08:51 AM   #38
jeffjenkins1
Babbling Farker

That looks awesome!

Jeff
18" Weber OTS
Primo Oval XL
NB American Gourmet offset smoker
UDS
Big Chief Smoker
Turkey Fryer
jeffjenkins1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-17-2010, 09:06 AM   #39
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Awesome job, nice to see another hot and fast convert!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefOsceola View Post
Which part of the below cut would become the burnt ends? I hear y'all talking about them and I've seen pics after they're cooked but still unclear where they come from.
This pic may make it a little clearer. The flat is on the left and the point is on the right. There is a layer of fat between them, so it's not too difficult to separate them. Many people slice the flat, then cube the point for burnt ends (or faux burnt ends, but that's another story).

For links to all my BBQ Brethren recipe posts, click http://markandteri.com/recipes.htm
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 02-17-2010, 09:23 AM   #40
ChiefOsceola

Thanks to Saiko & Dave. So basically, the point is slightly overlapped by the flat (on a slant). Thanks fellas. I'm in pork butt country down here and my brisket knowledge was weak. Gotta try me one.

Sorry bout hijacking your thread Diver.

Unread 02-17-2010, 09:36 AM   #41
sitnfat
is one Smokin' Farker

good looking brisket I do mine hot and fast as well around 300 to 350.. IT usually hit 165 around the 3 hr mark I foil and flip then i go by feel on when the meat is done which has been around 6 hrs. Did you inject at all???
sitnfat is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-17-2010, 12:04 PM   #42
Diver
Full Fledged Farker

Chief/ no worries. That was a good question. I'm in pork country too. I cooked my first brisket about a year and a half ago and it has become my favorite thing to cook. Even got a 7th place call in Rocky Mount NC last yr. :)

no injection. I didn't want too many variables for the test. That will be my first try when I get back home.

2 UDS / 1 XL UDS / Chargriller Duo / 2 Weber Kettles / Masterbuilt / Home-made whole hog cooker
Diver is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-17-2010, 01:19 PM   #43
chambersuac
somebody shut me the fark up.

Looks great from here

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-17-2010, 01:24 PM   #44
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

I just keep going back to the pics and looking at the COLOR of that smoke ring. A real beauty.
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-17-2010, 01:45 PM   #45
Nomanerz

I tried the hot and fast method last weekend...I cooked at 300 and once the brisket hit 165, I pulled and wrapped it...at 200 in the foil, I pulled the brisket and let it rest for about an hour...when I cut into the flat, it was still pretty tough. Is it me or the beef? What can I/should I do to ensure a more tender brisket on a consistent basis?
Haulmark Competition Trailer
American Barbecue Systems Pit Boss
OTP, OTG
Nomanerz is offline   Reply With Quote