The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 02-16-2010, 06:47 PM   #16
Diver
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Thanks all! I have a long business trip coming up so I took off today and worked in one last smoke. My wife is convinced I miss the smokers more than her and the kids when I'm away. I'm pretty sure she's wrong.

2 UDS / 1 XL UDS / Chargriller Duo / 2 Weber Kettles / Masterbuilt / Home-made whole hog cooker
Diver is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-16-2010, 06:55 PM   #17
Jay Bird
is one Smokin' Farker

That's a testament for hot & fast. Looks mighty fine.
I remember the log but forget the pictures.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-16-2010, 06:56 PM   #18
MattG
is One Chatty Farker

Hot and Fast is the way to go.

Check us out on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pots-BBQ/107610505962113
MattG is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-16-2010, 07:07 PM   #19
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 1

Looks like you nailed it! Very nice!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the BBQ Brethren Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club member
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-16-2010, 07:14 PM   #20
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

If 275 degrees is considered "hot and fast", I guess I'm in that camp. That just seems to work great, foiling in the 160-170 range.

However, don't a lot of folks, including Myron Mixon, consider 350 degrees the "hot and fast" target temp? I've only tried it once that hot, and it was ok, but I think I'll stick to 275 unless someone can convince me that 350 is better. After all, that's roasting, then braising, and actually, I wouldn't be surprised if you could smoke a brisket at 275 and never foil with decent results... if it was a really good piece of beef and your pit cooked even and had good moisture.

Dave
UDS, wsm, wots, char-griller
Dave Russell is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-16-2010, 07:38 PM   #21
ZILLA
is Blowin Smoke!

That looks great!! So how hot and how fast?
ZILLA is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-16-2010, 07:52 PM   #22
dudz
Full Fledged Farker

Those slices look good...did you use an electric knife ?

Unread 02-16-2010, 08:01 PM   #23
thillin
somebody shut me the fark up.

nice...
Mini BGE-adopted 1/31/08 CL Score
Traeger 075-adopted 12/3/11 CL Score
Weber 1 touch CL Score
Weber Spirit 500 CL Score
Weber Smokey Joe Silver CL Score
BLUE & RED Thermapens
Klose 20x42-SOLD

Paddlin Pigs BBQ
Ty
thillin is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-16-2010, 08:06 PM   #24
kirk fortin
Knows what a fatty is.

Yeah thats a smokin brisket man....Wish i could taste that one
kirk fortin is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-16-2010, 08:07 PM   #25
Diver
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Russell View Post
If 275 degrees is considered "hot and fast", I guess I'm in that camp. That just seems to work great, foiling in the 160-170 range.

However, don't a lot of folks, including Myron Mixon, consider 350 degrees the "hot and fast" target temp? I've only tried it once that hot, and it was ok, but I think I'll stick to 275 unless someone can convince me that 350 is better. After all, that's roasting, then braising, and actually, I wouldn't be surprised if you could smoke a brisket at 275 and never foil with decent results... if it was a really good piece of beef and your pit cooked even and had good moisture.

Dave
Not sure what the technical definition is but it was hot and fast for me.

"That looks great!! So how hot and how fast?"

The center grate temp was pretty steady at 275 with a spike at @300. 6 hrs from beginning to slices including a 1 hr rest.

"Those slices look good...did you use an electric knife ?"

The wife will love that one. It was my first chance to use the electric knife she got me for Christmas on a Brisket.

2 UDS / 1 XL UDS / Chargriller Duo / 2 Weber Kettles / Masterbuilt / Home-made whole hog cooker

Unread 02-16-2010, 10:17 PM   #26
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

I just realized how quick your 14.5 trimmed packer cooked! Five hours, at 275? Wow!

Every brisket I've ever cooked was more stubborn than that....that's FOR SURE. I started cooking briskets a little faster this way with DR. BBQ's method: In Ray Lampe's Shortcut Brisket recipe for a itty bitty 5-6 lb. flat, he says to cook at 275 for 3-4 hours until 160, then wrap in foil and start checking an hour later. That's a minimum of a four hour cook, for a piece of meat well less than half the weight and thickness you cooked! I've never cooked a flat that small, so I don't know if his time is right, but I just mention it for reference. He uses the same times for his Jalapeno brisket recipe, and I've never noticed any mistakes in the book before. Maybe someone will chime in, though.

Anyway, did you leave your probe in the flat while it was wrapped in foil on the cooker? I've done that, had it read 200 degrees and still be tough...can't go by temps while in the foil....but I guess it must've been tender enough. It looked pretty good.

Just curious as to the speed of the cook...I guess it could've been the magic of the UDS. I've been amazed at how fast I've gotten stuff done cooking directly above the coals, but then again, that's been when I flipped the meat ever so often.

Anyway, I think 275 is a fine temp to shoot for! I guess I'll start checking temps sooner.

Dave
Dave Russell is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-16-2010, 11:03 PM   #27
texman02
Full Fledged Farker

That is farkin outstanding!

Unread 02-16-2010, 11:21 PM   #28
SMOKINBONES
Found some matches.

Good lookin brisket!!! Nice
SMOKINBONES is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-17-2010, 05:27 AM   #29
Diver
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Russell View Post
I just realized how quick your 14.5 trimmed packer cooked! Five hours, at 275? Wow!

Every brisket I've ever cooked was more stubborn than that....that's FOR SURE. I started cooking briskets a little faster this way with DR. BBQ's method: In Ray Lampe's Shortcut Brisket recipe for a itty bitty 5-6 lb. flat, he says to cook at 275 for 3-4 hours until 160, then wrap in foil and start checking an hour later. That's a minimum of a four hour cook, for a piece of meat well less than half the weight and thickness you cooked! I've never cooked a flat that small, so I don't know if his time is right, but I just mention it for reference. He uses the same times for his Jalapeno brisket recipe, and I've never noticed any mistakes in the book before. Maybe someone will chime in, though.

Anyway, did you leave your probe in the flat while it was wrapped in foil on the cooker? I've done that, had it read 200 degrees and still be tough...can't go by temps while in the foil....but I guess it must've been tender enough. It looked pretty good.

Just curious as to the speed of the cook...I guess it could've been the magic of the UDS. I've been amazed at how fast I've gotten stuff done cooking directly above the coals, but then again, that's been when I flipped the meat ever so often.

Anyway, I think 275 is a fine temp to shoot for! I guess I'll start checking temps sooner.

Dave
I didn't really know what to expect since I had not cooked this way before.(intentionally) I typically do not use a temp probe for the meat. I used an instant read this time because I wanted to document what was happening. It was at 165 at the 3 hr mark which surprised me but I went with it and foiled. At the 5 hr mark, it was 200 and the probe went in like buttah so I pulled and rested. Again, I was surprised. The UDS definitely cooks faster than my offset. On a low and slow cook, the UDS trims 2-3 hours from what my offset takes with same meat and similar temps. I can't speak to the physics of it, I just try to adjust the techniques based on the smoker used. I do not flip briskets on the UDS nor do I mop. I put it on fat side down and leave it alone.

Unread 02-17-2010, 05:54 AM   #30
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Beautifil brisket!!!!!!!

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote