The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 02-15-2010, 09:06 AM   #1
rw02kr43
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default How to preserve ribs

I want to bring in some ribs to my coworkers. But I would be making the ribs the day before. What would be the best way to save them for the next day and still have the flavor and them still taste good?

Jason
rw02kr43 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-15-2010, 09:10 AM   #2
monty3777
is One Chatty Farker

If you are talking the next day - jut put them in a gallon ziplock and store in the fridge.

Unread 02-15-2010, 09:10 AM   #3
River City Smokehouse
is One Chatty Farker

I have always thought that ribs taste better the next day. Let them cool to room temp. Plastic wrap and foil wrap, then into fridge.
Traeger Texas BBQ 075
UDS "Cool Hand Luke"
3 Weber Kettles and a Yellow Thermapen
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge #8425
River City Smokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-15-2010, 09:13 AM   #4
aquablue22
Babbling Farker

When cooled I wrap them in plastic wrap tightly and then again in foil, at that point I freeze them, but you could stick them in the frig until you want to take them to work. I think ribs that have "aged" this way are somewhat better as the flavor has had a chance to really settle in.............. just sayin'
2 - 18.5 Weber Kettle
2 - Super FAST, Super ACCURATE Green Thermapen1 splashproof)

"A good friend will come and bail you out of jail, your best friend will be sitting right beside you on the bench saying "What a Ride!" WooHoo
aquablue22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-16-2010, 06:49 AM   #5
oldpro
Knows what a fatty is.

Do any of you vaccuum seal ribs and then freeze them? What is your favorite way to reheat them?
oldpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-16-2010, 06:57 AM   #6
Smokin'Ron
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpro View Post
Do any of you vaccuum seal ribs and then freeze them? What is your favorite way to reheat them?
If I'm keeping them for a while, I Vacuum my ribs throw them in the fridge until the next morning and then toss them in the freezer. As stated, I think the fridge time allows the flavors to get all the way through.

I just wrap and toss in the fridge if I'm planning to eat them in a day or so.

Reheating: I normally thaw a day in the fridge and wrap tight in foil with just a small amount of Apple Juice and toss em' in a 300 degree oven for about 30-45 minutes until warmed through.

1- Cheap Charcoal grill (gone to the graveyard)
Smokin'Ron is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-16-2010, 07:41 AM   #7
augie
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpro View Post
I do this fairly often. You can put the whole sealed and frozen package in simmering water to reheat them, but I prefer to let them thaw completely in the fridge in the vac-pac then reheat them on the grill. If I'm saucing or glazing I'll do that towards the end of the reheating.

WSM
Weber 22.5" Kettle (2X)
augie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-16-2010, 08:14 AM   #8
Peteg
Full Fledged Farker

I vaccuum pack and freeze. For reheating, I thaw them out in the sink for 30 minutes, microwave just enough to warm them through, and then put them in the oven for about 10 minutes to set the bark. The quality is nearly on par with hot off the grill. For brisket, I leave it in the vaccuum pack and let it simmer in a stock pot.
22" Weber
Peteg is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-16-2010, 08:36 AM   #9
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 4

I've always thought that ribs tasted better the next day too...
I've kinda wondered if doing something like this in competition would work?

Cook the evening after meat inspection and then wrap in plastic & foil and ice em' down in the cooler. Next day put them on the grill to heat bck up & serve to judges... Sounds wrong, but as long as they aren't dry or overcooked it might work... ?

We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this. ~Butz

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
KnucklHed BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote