MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:58 PM   #31
EatRBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudz View Post
^^^ I did mine by weight just because of the different weights and densities of each charcoal...let me know how it goes.
The geek in me keeps telling me to go by weight.
The pyro in me tells me I can fit 14# of briquettes in my UDS charcoal basket rig and I'm thinking 14# of lump will fill two charcoal baskets making one cook problematic.

I know the lump vs. briquettes is often a very heated debate. I'll try to keep my test consistent and objective; record times, temps, and draw conclusions after. My instinct is telling me the Stubb's and even the Kingsford blue bag will burn alot longer than the same volume of any lump, but I'm open minded because of the control and efficiency of a decent UDS.

Whatever the results, I'm hoping to find a happy medium between quality (food taste in later tests), price, ash production, and burn time for long cooks on my UDS rigs.

I'm certain I won't end any debates, but at least my driveway lab tests will be educational and entertaining.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:06 PM   #32
FretBender
Full Fledged Farker

A great Charcoal resource is:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm

He also has a few test specifically targeting burntime and ash production on a few type of lump charcoals. I found this site very useful and informative.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:23 AM   #33
bingo1912
Take a breath!

To be fair you will have to do the test by weight and not by volume if you are going to weigh the ash. Thanks for the time it's going to take. ;)

Tags
charcoal