The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 02-12-2010, 08:32 AM   #1
B3
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default Has my ribeye gone bad?

I've got a pack of four ribeyes in the fridge that I was planning on cooking up tonight. Last night, I pulled them out to check on them and found two light brown spots that look a lot like bruises. Fortunately, both spots were only on one of the steaks and the other three steaks looked ok. The sell by date is today, and they've been in the fridge since I got them. Am I dealing with meat that's spoiling? If so, can I just trim off the bad portion and cook the rest like normal?

Or, is it fine to go ahead and cook the way it is without trimming? It's not like it had a rainbow going on.
B3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-12-2010, 08:36 AM   #2
aquablue22
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0

Meat turns brown from exposure to air, what does your nose tell you? If the sell by date is today I would think you'd be OK, depending on what your nose tells you!
2 - 18.5 Weber Kettle
2 - Super FAST, Super ACCURATE Green Thermapen1 splashproof)

"A good friend will come and bail you out of jail, your best friend will be sitting right beside you on the bench saying "What a Ride!" WooHoo
aquablue22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 02-12-2010, 08:38 AM   #3
Three porks
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue22 View Post
Meat turns brown from exposure to air, what does your nose tell you? If the sell by date is today I would think you'd be OK, depending on what your nose tells you!
Agreed! Grill those babies up if there's no "off" smell. If you'd like, rinse it off with water and pat dry....it should be OK. If you still feel uncomfortable, cook them past medium.......although that should be illegal
Three porks is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-12-2010, 08:41 AM   #4
smoke-n-my-i's
is One Chatty Farker

Hard to tell without looking. Quick, just freeze, ship and I will let you know how they are....

Just kidding... Like already said, let your nose tell you, air will change the color of the meat. I have cooked beef that has turned almost all tan before, and it was fine. It just doesn't look good before you cook them. If they feel fine, smell fine, they should be fine.

But like I always say, if in doubt, throw them out....
2 UGLY drum smokers
Weber 22 1/2" & 18 1/2" Kettle
Super fast RED Thermapen
Screaming fast ORANGE Thermapen
KCBS Certified Table Captain
KCBS Certified Judge
smoke-n-my-i's is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-12-2010, 08:42 AM   #5
B3
On the road to being a farker

I will give it a sniff test once I crack the package. I'll also rinse and pat dry. I was leaning towards cooking them as is, and I'll probably reserve the spotted piece for myself, just in case. Thanks for the reassurance.
B3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-12-2010, 09:21 AM   #6
Arlin_MacRae

Agree with the rest of da boys. Also, it seems to get a little slippery before it gets nasty. Smell and rinse.

NB El Dorado Offset, Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Black Thermapen, red backlit Thermapen
Certified KCBS BBQ Judge
Missin' KC...
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-12-2010, 09:52 AM   #7
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts

What everyone above just said. Looks are not everything and also that "sell by" date doesn't mean a whole lot. If those steaks are kept cold they can last a long time. If they got warm or were left out, then they'll go bad quickly. The only way I know to tell is by smell. I've cooked up steaks that were all over brown and they were just fine.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-12-2010, 10:56 AM   #8
Brauma
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I never cook steaks red. I like to leave them in the fridge till they start to turn. An old man once told me that steaks taste their best just before they spoil. The trick is knowing how long you can leave them in the fridge.

"Life's too short to drink cheap beer or eat crotchpot BBQ"

NB Bandera - refurbished; Two Big Green Eggs: Poncho - Large, and Lefty - Small; Weber Kettles; 6' fire pit; Super fast Blue Thermapen
Brauma is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-12-2010, 11:03 AM   #9
qman
Babbling Farker

B3
Definitely good advice from some of the meateaters among the Brethren. I concur. You should just relax and cook them steaks. They will be fine. As mentioned, give them a sniff test if you want, but a little browning on the cut surface of beef is no big deal. Just oxidation from exposure to the air.

Unread 02-12-2010, 12:21 PM   #10
BigdogEMT
Knows what a fatty is.

I'm with everybody else on this one! Your nose, knows!

Have you ever seen a dry aged steak before? Most people would never eat one if the saw it before the grill gets to it! But there is few things better in this world than a well dry aged steak! A place here had 24 day aged steaks when it opened up, man were they good! Melt in your mouth!

Terry

Unread 02-12-2010, 03:05 PM   #11
chambersuac
somebody shut me the fark up.

cook 'em...eat 'em...wait 24 hours and post. If we have no post then, we'll know that they were not good.

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-12-2010, 04:03 PM   #12
SirPorkaLot
Babbling Farker

Uploads: 1

As mentioned above the nose is the answer, but it is also true that good beef is best aged a bit, and is best cooked right before it spoils.

In my case I had major sinus issues as a kid and my nose doesn't work as good as I would like, so I go by color and texture as well.

Don't pay that much attention to dates, it has been well documented that some unscrupulous stores change dates as long as it "looks" good.

Is it slimy? (not good) Is it brownish red? (good) or brownish green? (not good)
How do you plan on cooking it? Above 140 will kill most bacteria, but makes for a medium steak.

Let us know how it turns out

Back to back winner of the BBQ Brethren Throwdown with a pig leg and something funky
CBBQA & KCBS member: Sir Porkalot BBQ Team
NC & NorCal (Yes I stay confused)
BLUE Thermapen
Visit my website: http://www.sirporkalot.com
SirPorkaLot is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-12-2010, 04:09 PM   #13
Car Wash Mike
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B3 View Post
I've got a pack of four ribeyes in the fridge that I was planning on cooking up tonight. Last night, I pulled them out to check on them and found two light brown spots that look a lot like bruises. Fortunately, both spots were only on one of the steaks and the other three steaks looked ok. The sell by date is today, and they've been in the fridge since I got them. Am I dealing with meat that's spoiling? If so, can I just trim off the bad portion and cook the rest like normal?

Or, is it fine to go ahead and cook the way it is without trimming? It's not like it had a rainbow going on.
Actually you can let them get a little browner and they will be better. Don't trim a thing. I spent 20 years in the grocery business, just to give you an idea of my credentials. As the son of the owners, I have ate a lot of brown steaks.
Car Wash Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-12-2010, 05:06 PM   #14
Smokin'Ron
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car Wash Mike View Post
Actually you can let them get a little browner and they will be better. Don't trim a thing. I spent 20 years in the grocery business, just to give you an idea of my credentials. As the son of the owners, I have ate a lot of brown steaks.
True, as long as they are getting brown between 33-35 degrees F ...

The brown is more than likely do to it being the last steak cut and sitting on top of the stack collecting the ambient air longer than the other steaks before packaging. No biggie.

As stated, always trust the smell before cooking, and many forget this, after cooking. You know what you cooker produces in fragrances, if it doesn't smell right after, something's wrong.

1- Cheap Charcoal grill (gone to the graveyard)
Smokin'Ron is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-12-2010, 05:17 PM   #15
Smokinrubcom
Full Fledged Farker

the brown spots could be from where the meat cutter grabbed the steak after cutting.