ಚಿಕನ್
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 02-14-2010, 05:02 PM   #1
Brew Crew
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Need help...numbness and foul taste

Got my new smoker last weekend and the first cook produced numbness and bad taste. Thought I used to much lighter fluid.

Today cooked again and not as bad, but still my wife complained of numbness and my kids won't even eat it. I used a torch or weed burner to get the fire going...I did not use any lighter fluid this time and made sure to use seasoned pecan wood.

What gives? I have never, ever had this problem before. My kids would beg for me to cook on the old smoker. Could it be that I used some hickory that was only a month old on the seasoning and first cook? I used nothing but season pecan this time and still the same results, just not as bad. This thing is brand new, I just don't get it!

I just put a lot wood on her to get hot and try to burn off anything I messed up with. I need some help guys. Do I need to pressure wash this thing on the inside, or wash it with some detergent?

Unread 02-14-2010, 05:04 PM   #2
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

I think we need to know more about the smoker.

The best way to reach me is with email: larry@thebbqgrail.com
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-14-2010, 05:05 PM   #3
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 4

Exactly what type of pit is it? u say vertical smoker in your sig, does that mean a bullet type water smoker, or vertical offset?

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-14-2010, 05:07 PM   #4
Harbormaster

Almost sounds to me like you smoked with some walnut.
That has been known to cause numbness.
My Toys: 10 WSMs (B, C, DH, DA, EZ, DZ, EO, DU, DR, EE/DU mutt); Brinkman Cimmaron; Chuckwagon Cooker; 5 22.5" Bar-B-Q-Kettles; 1 18.5" Bar-B-Q-Kettle; 3 WGAs (EZ, DE, N); 2 SJPs ( DR, DR); 2 Smokey Joes (A, K); Genesis Silver C (DU).
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-14-2010, 05:13 PM   #5
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 4

If you used a soft wood like pine or cedar during the initial seasoning, u may need a sand blaster to revive it. If it was just green hickory, this may fix it. Barring other factors, and off taste can bew from that green wood on the initial buren.. is there a tar or resin on the steel?

If u think its the seasoning of the pit, and assuming its a stickburnign offset..heres what I would do, and yes, seasoning a pit with green wood is a bad idea. Your better off just using charcoal if you have nothing else.

wipe it down good inside.... heat it up and hit it with a hose when the steel is hot, this will give it a steam cleaning.. wipe it down best u can getting as much crud off u can.

get a gallon of cheap vegetable oil and rag down the inside of the pit.. dont be stingy.. puddles are ok..( jsut dont let it build up to much at the bottom and catch fire). Build a good size fire.. DRY WOOD or charcoal only.. and using the dampers, alternate between heavy smoke and high heat(300+). Do that for 3-4 hours. During the seasoing process, u can spray it down with pam occasionally whiles its seasoning...

thios will reasons the pit..

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-14-2010, 05:24 PM   #6
PimpSmoke
is one Smokin' Farker

Your problem could also be cooking with too much fuel and your intake damper closed too much.

If your getting a clean burn you should see light, bluish smoke. If the smoke is dense and white, your airflow is lacking. Lower the amount of wood and give it some airflow.

Oversmoking meat can give you a numb tongue and lips and also a bitter tasting final product. your essentially coating the meat with soot.
I heard the rip when you sat down.
PimpSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 02-14-2010, 05:44 PM   #7
1_T_Scot
is Blowin Smoke!

After the the seasoning etc.... I with PIMP smoke try smoking with less wood. I have used just charcoal with good results (just not Really smoky).

Supporting Disabled Veterans. Link Removed. Diveheart .org

Large Big Green Egg - Fathers Day 2009
1_T_Scot is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-14-2010, 06:04 PM   #8
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PimpSmoke View Post
Your problem could also be cooking with too much fuel and your intake damper closed too much.

If your getting a clean burn you should see light, bluish smoke. If the smoke is dense and white, your airflow is lacking. Lower the amount of wood and give it some airflow.

Oversmoking meat can give you a numb tongue and lips and also a bitter tasting final product. your essentially coating the meat with soot.

I agree!

If it's not a seasoning problem as Phil mentioned, maybe you're just not getting a clean enough burn out of it... how's the smoke smell?

I like my smoke soft enough that I can take a fairly deep breath of it and not choke like you're huffing campfire smoke.

Did you use the same brand of charcoal as before? cheap store brands and *cough* kingsford *cough* can create some funny flavors when choked off too much...

I noticed that on a UDS you need to give the thing a good 1/2 or more before the smoke goes from nasty yellow to clean blue... maybe let it burn longer before putting the meaty treats on.

We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this. ~Butz

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
KnucklHed BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-14-2010, 06:06 PM   #9
Brew Crew
Knows what a fatty is.

Here is a pic of the smoker and a picture I don't think you can tell what it is, but is build up on the door already. I have er hot and may hose it down now on the inside. Is this really a good idea?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smoker front.jpg (47.1 KB, 249 views)
File Type: jpg build up.jpg (95.5 KB, 245 views)

Unread 02-14-2010, 06:13 PM   #10
PimpSmoke
is one Smokin' Farker

Thats alot of smoke man, unless your seasoning that pit, I would open up the airflow a little more.

Unread 02-14-2010, 06:15 PM   #11
PimpSmoke
is one Smokin' Farker

As far as cleaning, if your unsure about hitting it with water when hot, I have a technique I like to use;

1 Car wash.
1 Trailer
5 Dollars worth of quarters
all water.

Works for me.

Unread 02-14-2010, 06:21 PM   #12
LMAJ

I'm with Pimp on this one - sounds like too much smoke -
Ease up on the fuel and get a clean fire going -
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1 18.5 new to me WSM
Super Fast BLUE and RED Thermapen
1 - The Great Outdoors Smoker Sea Bug cooker
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al

Unread 02-14-2010, 06:25 PM   #13
cbagby64
Full Fledged Farker

That Brew Crew golf cart is awesome.

Unread 02-14-2010, 06:33 PM   #14
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 1

^^^ What they said ^^^^
Was that your very first burn on the smoking session? An unseasoned smoke?

That could be a bad combination... the collective residues from the assembly/shipping shop is far from desireable. A hot seasoning burn before any meats are introduced to a new smoker is a better initiation.
A virginal burn with green hickory and white smoke... sounds nasty.

Only Myron Mixon endorses lighter fluid... stick with the weedburner.

Former smokers;
Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-14-2010, 06:41 PM   #15
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I always run my exhaust all the way open, it only gets closed when I want to put the fire out.

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote