New Vertical Smoker...with pics

Brew Crew

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Well I went and picked up that smoker that Arlene started the thread "Anyone recognize this smoker" or something like that. Well the smoker is just plain AWESOME. :icon_cool This guy is a welder that builds these from time to time and it is a well made smoker. I had several buddies come over this weekend and check it out. They all thought it cost about $1,200. Can't beat his price. :!: His price does vary depending on how much scrap he has to go into each build. If anyone is on the bubble for a very well built vertical smoker, look no further. I was able to hold 225 very easy and the outside temp was about 40 for most of the cook. His attention to detail was great, the fact it is a smoker, grill, and fryer all in one is just plain perfect. He also includes three tools for shoveling, cleaning, and picking at the fire. Everything you could possibly need including a bowl and lid for the fryer.

I guess I used too much lighter fluid with my charcoal to get my sticks going. The taste was off. My wife didn't like it, she is used to my other cooker that was well seasoned. Maybe it was the Pam I sprayed in to help season it, or maybe it was the various types of wood I had to use because I ran out of hickory. I was only able to season it once for 5 or so hours before my first cook for the Super Bowl since I picked up the smoker Saturday afternoon. I'm getting a torch so for now on, lighter fluid will never touch my smoker again.

Anyway enough rambling...I am just so glad I found this site...without this site I would not have gotten this wicked smoker. Look forward to learning so much from all you guys that are apart of this great site.

Attachments

• smoker front.jpg
    smoker front.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 471
  • smoker fryer side.jpg
    smoker fryer side.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 463
  • smoker pit side.jpg
    smoker pit side.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 461
Nice looking smoker... congratulations!!

That sure is a beauty, something to enjoy everytime you fire it up.

Nice smoker and AWESOME golf cart!!!!!

Randy, looks like you got it going on there in the pics. Glad you enjoy it. It was a pleasure talking with you when you came to pick it up over the weekend. I smoked one time with mixed wood and lighter fluid to start the fire, lets say the dog ate pretty good that evening. I will be building another one like it or similar to it pretty soon. Thanks for the good words !!

Nice smoker. One suggestion would be to get a oven gasket and line the inside edge of the door to cut back on the heat loss around the door.

Here are a few I have Randy may want to take more or closer pics if he wants. I will post some pics of other models I have made in the past soon.

Attachments

• 100_2763.jpg
    100_2763.jpg
    366.9 KB · Views: 126
  • 100_2764.jpg
    100_2764.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 125
  • 100_2765.jpg
    100_2765.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 125
  • 100_2766.jpg
    100_2766.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 125
I would run down to wallyworld and pick up a yard of felt and using just elmers glue place a strip around the door, if the smoke still leaks add another layer of felt. Your cost to do this will be less than $5.

Kinda figure the elmers glue would melt off ? Like Randy said I just build a few per yr when things get slow. If I start building them to sell everyday my cost and price goes up. Most of this steel is fall off from bigger jobs. If I build one with "all" the bells and whistles such as gaskets, more temp gauges,insulated etc... the time and price gets big quick. Most all of the smokers are a little different from each other also. Glad I was turned onto this thread lot of good info on here !!!!

I am going to try and seal the door this weekend. Durwyn thanks for posting those pics, and I too enjoyed our visit. Glad to see you on here also. At least I can put a face to one person on this site now. I'm going to try and find some seasoned pecan wood and to see how that tastes...seems to be a pretty highly used wood for smoking. I picked up a weed burner today and will try to smoke again this weekend.

Back