The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.


Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.


Reply
Thread Tools
Unread 03-04-2010, 02:36 PM   #91
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

 
Join Date: 01-26-10
Location: Virginia
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
I've taken the class, and know Johnny somewhat. Yes he made some of what he does available via the show. Frankly I'm not pleased about watching folks here, and elsewhere try to duplicate what he does simply because they can. I'm sure he knew what he was doing when he taught people his method and gave them his ingredients. At the same time, he's still cooking, as are many of the folks that took his class. Just because something can be done, doesn't make it right. A lot of folks call him The Old Man out of respect, that he's earned, and I'm one of them.

Cooks will gossip about what somebody else may be doing like nobodies business, but it's done privately and with respect most of the time. There's a difference between that process and what I see going on here and on other forums.

Everything I posted about Johnny Trigg's cooking is PUBLIC KNOWLEDGE. It has been declared loudly for all to hear on radio programs and for all the see and hear on a TV program. Did you read the first post in this thread? Probably not. If you did, you didn't take the time to understand what is plainly written.

If you don't like the thread, that's fine and good. However, taking swipes at me and other people who are having fun with the thread is not.
__________________
[COLOR=royalblue]Jambo Pit - UDS - Lang 60 (Sold)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]18.5" & 22.5" Weber Kettles - Smokey Joe and Mini-WSM - [/COLOR][COLOR=royalblue]Bubba Keg - [/COLOR][COLOR=royalblue]#2 La Caja China[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Chargriller Outlaw[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Impeccably Accurate BLACK & RED Thermapens[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]KCBS CBJ[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Operation BBQ Relief Founding Member[/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue]I am Obsessive Compulsive about BBQ. Google it.[/COLOR]
Boshizzle is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from: --->
Unread 03-04-2010, 05:15 PM   #92
Scottie
Babbling Farker
 
Scottie's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-03-06
Location: Chi-Town
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

So now you are taking swipes at Jorge?

I'll leave it at that. But you might want to notice the term "Moderator" under his name....
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-04-2010, 05:33 PM   #93
btcg
Babbling Farker
 
Join Date: 02-28-10
Location: North Potomac, MD
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
So now you are taking swipes at Jorge?

I'll leave it at that. But you might want to notice the term "Moderator" under his name....
Taking swipes?

You two basically called Joe a thief. I think his response was constrained.

I too, revere Johnny Trigg. What he did for Paul demonstrated what a good man he truly is.

But I'd wager, if you suggested to Johnny that someone who watched that segment and took notes was "shigging"... he'd laugh.

I can almost hear Myron's response:

"Of course he took some damn notes. Shows he's smart."
btcg is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-04-2010, 06:50 PM   #94
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

 
Join Date: 01-26-10
Location: Virginia
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

The top of the thread states that this thread is nothing more than a glimpse into how Trigg cooks BBQ. It's not substitute for his class and it certainly isn't exhaustive in content. It's just a glimpse. Most people that I know hold Trigg in high regard just as I do. If anything, this thread is a tribute to him and his contribution to BBQ.

Everything in this thread was made available to us freely through the good will and generosity of Johnny Trigg. If someone can improve their ribs from the tips that Trigg has shared, It think that's a great thing. If someone decides that honey and Tiger sauce is too sweet and won't use Parkay, that's OK too. This isn't an evangelism thread to convert anyone to sweet ribs or using margarine and foil.

As it says in at the top of the thread, it's just a glimpse into how a champion cook makes award winning BBQ.

So, can we all just agree on that?
__________________
[COLOR=royalblue]Jambo Pit - UDS - Lang 60 (Sold)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]18.5" & 22.5" Weber Kettles - Smokey Joe and Mini-WSM - [/COLOR][COLOR=royalblue]Bubba Keg - [/COLOR][COLOR=royalblue]#2 La Caja China[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Chargriller Outlaw[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Impeccably Accurate BLACK & RED Thermapens[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]KCBS CBJ[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Operation BBQ Relief Founding Member[/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue]I am Obsessive Compulsive about BBQ. Google it.[/COLOR]
Boshizzle is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-04-2010, 06:59 PM   #95
MilitantSquatter
Moderator
 
MilitantSquatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-17-05
Location: Mooresville, NC
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Bohizzle - For what it's worth at this point, I'm undertstanding your perspective to a degree.

Some will have opposing views for varying reasons (ex. paid for the class, friend of instructor or some who don't think it's right to spread info that may not have been intended to be spread) and that's understandable and OK too.

You're posts have not broken any rules (here) and you are not divulging anything more than anyone else could have gathered if they wanted to. You've chosen to do your homework based on publically available info. In some ways similar to an opposing NFL football team that studies hours of game film of their competition every week trying to get an edge. The only real difference is you're sharing what you've uncovered with others that didn't.

You also noted in the last sentence of your original post " What Trigg didn’t share was his skill. If you try this and don’t have the same results Trigg has had, don’t be surprised."

Long and short of it, is that there's no right or wrong here.. only opinion.
__________________
Lonestar 24" Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox & Performer Platinum
Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Med. Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL & (2) Med. BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles

Last edited by MilitantSquatter; 03-04-2010 at 09:32 PM..
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-04-2010, 07:08 PM   #96
Rick's Tropical Delight
** Permanent Timeout **
 
Join Date: 04-25-07
Location: Farmersville, Ohio
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

do those ribs taste like pork? i'm just sayin
Rick's Tropical Delight is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-04-2010, 09:17 PM   #97
cruzmisl
Got Wood.
 
Join Date: 01-29-10
Location: Grosse Pointe, Mi
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

You can show all the "technique" you want, I tried them with tips from this and other threads and they tasted like sh!t. Wasted a good rack of ribs. Oh well it was worth the effort but if people think you can beat Trigg by following some snaps of BBQ pitmasters you're crazy. Just my 2 cents.
cruzmisl is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-04-2010, 09:21 PM   #98
Cocophone
Is lookin for wood to cook with.
 
Join Date: 07-30-09
Location: Corvallis, OR
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick's Tropical Delight View Post
do those ribs taste like pork? i'm just sayin
Only if the pig ate Parkay for the last 6 months of their life!
Cocophone is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-04-2010, 09:25 PM   #99
Speed
Found some matches.
 
Join Date: 02-11-10
Location: Whitney, Texas
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
Here is an update - word is that Johnny Trigg uses this rub for his ribs. This is the mystery rub, perhaps?



He uses Head Country on his briskets.
This is what I use on my ribs, very good rub. I had to add 1tsp cayenne though just to give it a little more pop.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-04-2010, 11:53 PM   #100
417bullelk
Full Fledged Farker
 
417bullelk's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-24-04
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
Before Paul was trained by Trigg, this is what he said he was told Trigg uses to glaze his ribs-

OK....this is clearly a staged shot. Labels aligned perfectly with Paul framed just right to fill in the rest of the frame.
__________________
Dustin
Gilbert, AZ
Modded Bandera..Proud owner of a Spicewine fire basket!!
Weber WSM...Finally!!
Weber Performer
Weber 18.5" Kettle and a 22.5" Kettle
Weber Smokey Joe Platinum w/One Touch Mod.
Weber Smokey Joe Silver, A Charbroil Gasser, A Little Red Campfire.
417bullelk is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-05-2010, 07:21 AM   #101
Harmening
On the road to being a farker
 
Harmening's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-11-07
Location: West Okoboji, IA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
So now you are taking swipes at Jorge?

I'll leave it at that. But you might want to notice the term "Moderator" under his name....
You're really reachin' here.

Boshizzle, thanks for this thread. It has been a good read.
Harmening is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 03-05-2010, 08:39 AM   #102
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.
 
Jorge's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-23-04
Location: DFW, San AntonioTx
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
So now you are taking swipes at Jorge?

I'll leave it at that. But you might want to notice the term "Moderator" under his name....
Quote:
Originally Posted by btcg View Post
Taking swipes?

You two basically called Joe a thief. I think his response was constrained.

I too, revere Johnny Trigg. What he did for Paul demonstrated what a good man he truly is.

But I'd wager, if you suggested to Johnny that someone who watched that segment and took notes was "shigging"... he'd laugh.

I can almost hear Myron's response:

"Of course he took some damn notes. Shows he's smart."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
The top of the thread states that this thread is nothing more than a glimpse into how Trigg cooks BBQ. It's not substitute for his class and it certainly isn't exhaustive in content. It's just a glimpse. Most people that I know hold Trigg in high regard just as I do. If anything, this thread is a tribute to him and his contribution to BBQ.

Everything in this thread was made available to us freely through the good will and generosity of Johnny Trigg. If someone can improve their ribs from the tips that Trigg has shared, It think that's a great thing. If someone decides that honey and Tiger sauce is too sweet and won't use Parkay, that's OK too. This isn't an evangelism thread to convert anyone to sweet ribs or using margarine and foil.

As it says in at the top of the thread, it's just a glimpse into how a champion cook makes award winning BBQ.

So, can we all just agree on that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post
Bohizzle - For what it's worth at this point, I'm undertstanding your perspective to a degree.

Some will have opposing views for varying reasons (ex. paid for the class, friend of instructor or some who don't think it's right to spread info that may not have been intended to be spread) and that's understandable and OK too.

You're posts have not broken any rules (here) and you are not divulging anything more than anyone else could have gathered if they wanted to. You've chosen to do your homework based on publically available info. In some ways similar to an opposing NFL football team that studies hours of game film of their competition every week trying to get an edge. The only real difference is you're sharing what you've uncovered with others that didn't.

You also noted in the last sentence of your original post " What Trigg didnít share was his skill. If you try this and donít have the same results Trigg has had, donít be surprised."

Long and short of it, is that there's no right or wrong here.. only opinion.
OK. Mr. Shizzle and myself exchanged PMs yesterday. I think we are pretty clear on where each other stands. Unless I'm mistaken, we are good.

Now if anybody else would like to weigh in on that issue, you can feel free to shoot me a PM. I'm a big boy, I can take it.

The final issue.....Yes, I am a moderator. I'm also a member, and the same rules apply to everyone here. If I'm not performing a moderator function, feel free to challenge me all day long. I don't get any special pass.
__________________
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. --Frank Zappa

BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY!!!

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is online now   Reply With Quote


Thanks from: --->
Unread 03-05-2010, 09:03 AM   #103
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

 
Join Date: 01-26-10
Location: Virginia
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
OK. Mr. Shizzle and myself exchanged PMs yesterday. I think we are pretty clear on where each other stands. Unless I'm mistaken, we are good.

Now if anybody else would like to weigh in on that issue, you can feel free to shoot me a PM. I'm a big boy, I can take it.

The final issue.....Yes, I am a moderator. I'm also a member, and the same rules apply to everyone here. If I'm not performing a moderator function, feel free to challenge me all day long. I don't get any special pass.
Mr. Shizzle is good.

BTW - The mods on this board are among the best on the Internet. I mod two boards myself (non-BBQ realted) and know that it's a tough job sometimes and takes a lot of time. I believe that Moderators have every right to participate in discussions just as any other member. The great thing about this discussion is Jorge didn't use his moderator status to squelch or end the spirited discussion. There is a time for mods to step in and I think the mods here do a great job of finding the balance. If you think they don't, you haven't spent much time on many other boards.
__________________
[COLOR=royalblue]Jambo Pit - UDS - Lang 60 (Sold)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]18.5" & 22.5" Weber Kettles - Smokey Joe and Mini-WSM - [/COLOR][COLOR=royalblue]Bubba Keg - [/COLOR][COLOR=royalblue]#2 La Caja China[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Chargriller Outlaw[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Impeccably Accurate BLACK & RED Thermapens[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]KCBS CBJ[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Operation BBQ Relief Founding Member[/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue]I am Obsessive Compulsive about BBQ. Google it.[/COLOR]
Boshizzle is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from: --->
Unread 03-05-2010, 09:10 AM   #104
btcg
Babbling Farker
 
Join Date: 02-28-10
Location: North Potomac, MD
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
OK. Mr. Shizzle and myself exchanged PMs yesterday. I think we are pretty clear on where each other stands. Unless I'm mistaken, we are good.

Now if anybody else would like to weigh in on that issue, you can feel free to shoot me a PM. I'm a big boy, I can take it.

The final issue.....Yes, I am a moderator. I'm also a member, and the same rules apply to everyone here. If I'm not performing a moderator function, feel free to challenge me all day long. I don't get any special pass.
Jorge,

No biggie. One thing that impressed me about the brothern is the passion we all share about BBQ... and that's a good thing. That shows me that you care, and people who care sometimes go a little overboard, even mods. I don't really know you (I'm pretty new here), but anyone who quotes Frank Zappa is cool in my book, and I'd leave you with these final words of wisdom:

"Watch out where the huskies go, don't you eat that yellow snow!"



As to the devices/techniques gleaned by watching the show, a few things come to mind:

When you watch Trigg lay down all that honey, brown sugar, and Parkay, it's important to remember other comments from the shows:

Judges like "sweet," so the use of these ingredients may just be an attempt to match a local flavor profile. And, as Myron has said, many of these judges of BBQ aren't really judges at all: they're a bunch of people who attended a lecture and were given a card that says judge. They're there to eat. That's probably why Johnny doesn't care to eat the type of BBQ he cooks for competition. So, the real lesson is this: trigg showed a little of what he did for "that" competition, not the real secrets he uses for himself.
btcg is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from: --->
Unread 03-05-2010, 09:25 AM   #105
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

 
Join Date: 01-26-10
Location: Virginia
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick's Tropical Delight View Post
do those ribs taste like pork? i'm just sayin

As a matter of fact, they do.
__________________
[COLOR=royalblue]Jambo Pit - UDS - Lang 60 (Sold)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]18.5" & 22.5" Weber Kettles - Smokey Joe and Mini-WSM - [/COLOR][COLOR=royalblue]Bubba Keg - [/COLOR][COLOR=royalblue]#2 La Caja China[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Chargriller Outlaw[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Impeccably Accurate BLACK & RED Thermapens[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]KCBS CBJ[/COLOR]
[COLOR=royalblue]Operation BBQ Relief Founding Member[/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue]I am Obsessive Compulsive about BBQ. Google it.[/COLOR]
Boshizzle is offline   Reply With Quote


Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Trigg Finish" attempt results in black tar... where did I go wrong? Ground Pounder Q-talk 22 03-29-2011 09:44 PM
BBQ Pitmasters Ep. #5 Sept. 16, "Turducken" BBQ Bandit Q-talk 201 09-18-2010 04:12 PM
BBQ Pitmasters Season 2 a "Go" jmarkus Q-talk 194 05-26-2010 08:50 PM
BBQ Pitmasters - now "On Demand" BBQ Bandit Q-talk 15 01-22-2010 08:15 PM

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Loading



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.
no new posts