MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-14-2012, 02:33 PM   #1
bacchus99
Full Fledged Farker

Default What to do 18.5 or 22.5 WSM

I know there has been a million threads on this but my situation is a little unique. I know most folks will recommend the 22.5 but i have 80 bucks in gift cards to a retailer that only carries the 18.5 :(.

With that said the money isn't a huge factor but I love a deal so getting an 18.5 for $220 or so sounds nice.

I'm thinking the max i would ever need to cook would be 8 racks of ribs, 30lb of butts, or a full packer brisket or 2(maybe once a year). Most of the time i'd be cooking for just the wife and I or no more than about 8 people.

What would you do? Thanks!
bacchus99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2012, 02:36 PM   #2
touchdowntodd
Full Fledged Farker

then id get the 18 for sure .. i have an 18 and it seems able to hold more than ill ever need to put on it!

strategically placed i think you can fit all that on a 18 (unsure about the ribs, but possible depending on how you do it i think)

Old 07-14-2012, 02:42 PM   #3
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have an 18.5, and I don't think I could handle eight racks of ribs, at least not without some mods. The butts and brisket would work.

I do have a could of OTGs, though, for overflow.

With the gift card, and my tight finances, I would go with the 18.5 for $220. But, if money is no object, buy whatever you really want.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2012, 02:43 PM   #4
HoosierTrooper
Full Fledged Farker

I have both and you should be able to easily do those amounts on the 18.5.
HoosierTrooper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2012, 02:44 PM   #5
ksu1971
On the road to being a farker

Sounds like the 18" is the way to go. As it was mentioned with some creative placement you can get more on there then you think. I know some guys purchase a folding rack made for the BGE that sits nicely on the top rack for more room when needed. I am loving my WSM already and I am only on my first cook.
[/COLOR][/B]Maverick ET-732
ksu1971 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2012, 03:02 PM   #6
yakdung
is One Chatty Farker

Sounds like the 18 to me. Now go buy it and get smokin...
yakdung is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2012, 03:14 PM   #7
Smoking Westy
is one Smokin' Farker

Will a full packer fit on an 18?

I was recently in this predicament and settled on the 22.5". Peace of mind of having the extra capacity finally made the decision,that and my wife looked at them side by side and say the 18 was tiny compared the 22.5". Sold...give me the big one!

I can get 4 ribs on each grill with my 22.5". If you wanted to do 8 on the 18 I would think you'd need to use rib racks or some other mod.

Old 07-14-2012, 03:17 PM   #8
Big slick
is one Smokin' Farker

Go bigger. It's always better to have the extra room. I find that I hate starting my smoker up for 1 butt so I usually smoke stuff for friends as well. It's nice having the extra room.

Old 07-14-2012, 03:30 PM   #9
bacchus99
Full Fledged Farker

I'm assuming the door on the 18.5 is too small to get beans into to catch drippings like some folks do on the 22.5?

I failed to mention i do have a 22.5 weber kettle as well that i have learned how to smoke on.
bacchus99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2012, 03:35 PM   #10
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

Get the 22.5. The day will come when you got...............Fark! I should have gotten the big one. Then you will buy the big one and have two. I suppose either way you can't lose.
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2012, 03:47 PM   #11
LTG
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Billy Bob

Gift cards or not, I would still get the 22.5". More flexibility, especially for ribs and packer briskets.

Old 07-14-2012, 03:52 PM   #12
caseydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacchus99 View Post
I'm assuming the door on the 18.5 is too small to get beans into to catch drippings like some folks do on the 22.5?

I failed to mention i do have a 22.5 weber kettle as well that i have learned how to smoke on.
The doors on either one should not help you when it comes to adding beans. It is bellow the cooking grates. I'm not sure what "some folks" are doing.

CD

Old 07-14-2012, 03:52 PM   #13
volfan411
On the road to being a farker

I just got a 18.5 to cook for a family of 4 and think I have plenty of room. I think with a rib rack on each shelf you should be able to do 8 racks of ribs. I used mine for the first time yesterday and loved it the temp control is amazing.

Old 07-14-2012, 03:56 PM   #14
caseydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTG View Post
Gift cards or not, I would still get the 22.5". More flexibility, especially for ribs and packer briskets.
I guess I have a different philosophy. To me, buying a bigger smoker for the three times a year you need it is like driving a super-duty pickup everyday because you tow a boat to the lake three times a year -- and I know people who do that.

I tend to buy what I'll use most of the time, and find a way to do what I need to do if I have to on rare occasions.

We are looking at 220 bucks vs. 400 bucks, and more charcoal wasted cooking most of his cooks -- and he has a 22.5 kettle if he needs it. That's something to consider.

CD

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-14-2012, 05:22 PM   #15
PatAttack

^^^As much as I hate to admit it, I agree with CD.
PatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote