The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > For the Board

Notices

For the Board *On Topic Only* Strictly moderated. NO BAD KARMA! This forum is for questions and discussions you would like reviewed by members of the KCBS(or other BBQ orgs) Board of Directors. A clean and direct place where they do not have to wade thru day to day chatter.

Unread 02-09-2010, 11:50 AM   #46
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomEmery View Post
Hummm Whats to say the 5th person should be on the BoD?
The first looser does not make you a natural to be on the BoD
It is silly to set it up and get stuck with someone who did not
have the talents and abilities
Using that logic, Thom, who's to say those who WON are naturals or have the talents and abilities? Yep, I said it.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2010, 11:58 AM   #47
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

WOW - all this over barbecue contests. Chit if I put this much work into my business I would be rich!

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2010, 12:40 PM   #48
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC View Post
Using that logic, Thom, who's to say those who WON are naturals or have the talents and abilities? Yep, I said it.
Bingo - most not for profit organizations with a non paid BOD have people that maybe lack some of the qualities needed to be successful. that's why it's a focus in the questions for the nominees. Then it's up to the members to vote for the most qualified and not their friends.

lWhile we're at it most organizations eave all the details to the paid staff and the BOD meets 4 or 6 times a year to set policy. No way they get involved in 90% of the stuff we see in normal minutes. Just read the dec minutes and there's so little that hte BOD should actually be voting on. Contests being sanctioned should be done by an admin. Sorry I kind of hikacked your point.
Thanks from:--->
Unread 02-09-2010, 12:50 PM   #49
crd26a
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford View Post
Just read the dec minutes and there's so little that hte BOD should actually be voting on. Contests being sanctioned should be done by an admin. Sorry I kind of hikacked your point.
I'd argue an admin, but believe it should be someone else.

For the KCBS to expand they need to reorganize the structure of the organization. They should capitalize on some of the regional BBQ Associations and let them handle local issues - sanctioning, issues with the reps / contests in the area, etc. Then let each local association vote for 1 member to the board and allow 2-3 board seats be globally elected. Ideally it would be something like this:

KCBS Board - 11 Spots, 3 elected nationally

Regional boards based upon size

MO/KAN - 2 spots to Board due to size / concentration of membership
Upper Midwest (Iowa, MN, WI, IL, MI, NE)
Southeast
Northeast
Southwest
Pacific Northwest
(Allow for a floating member between Upper Midwest - PNW or another region)

This would allow regions to focus upon issues that impact them locally, then send an elected representative(s) to focus on national issues.

This would allow the KCBS BoD to focus on what matters - National / Internationally growth and Strategic Development, Major Conduct Issues, Marketing, and Global Rule issues. Without an evolution in the fundamental structure of the business, the continued focus on personal interests and back door deals will continue. The BoD really needs to get to focusing on fundamental strategic developments.
Unread 02-09-2010, 05:18 PM   #50
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

I'm ready to go back to being a dumb cook. It's really what I do best anyway. :)
Unread 02-09-2010, 05:30 PM   #51
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC View Post
Well we do vote for a reason
and the voters say they are qualified
But it does not seem to matter
jeez
I am getting sick of this KCBS crap
It never ends....
Right or wrong the sport is ripe for a
new organization

Team BBQ Thom.com
Kyle Emery Head Cook
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2010, 05:33 PM   #52
G$
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoDeDo View Post
I'm ready to go back to being a dumb cook. It's really what I do best anyway. :)
Me too Andy. Heck I am half way there already!
G$ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2010, 09:11 AM   #53
White Dog BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford View Post
Bingo - most not for profit organizations with a non paid BOD have people that maybe lack some of the qualities needed to be successful. that's why it's a focus in the questions for the nominees. Then it's up to the members to vote for the most qualified and not their friends.

lWhile we're at it most organizations eave all the details to the paid staff and the BOD meets 4 or 6 times a year to set policy. No way they get involved in 90% of the stuff we see in normal minutes. Just read the dec minutes and there's so little that hte BOD should actually be voting on. Contests being sanctioned should be done by an admin. Sorry I kind of hikacked your point.
Ford, I've disagreed with a lot of what you've written on the latest KCBS kerfuffle, but I think you are 100% right here. There was a time when KCBS was small enough that it needed a Board active in the day-to-day operations. Not anymore. The Board needs to step back and let the paid staff do its job.

Basically, the Board should be drafting policy, and staff should be implementing it. Your point on sanctioning is dead on -- the Board has set up the sanctioning rules, now let staff handle the sanctioning requests.

KCBS brags about how much it has grown, but it still operates with a small group mentality.

1x Backwoods Smoker Extended Party
1x 18" WSM
1x Red Weber Performer
1x Weber 22.5" OneTouch Silver
1x Weber Genesis Silver B

Last edited by White Dog BBQ; 02-10-2010 at 02:52 PM.. Reason: typo
White Dog BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->