The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > For the Board

Notices

For the Board *On Topic Only* Strictly moderated. NO BAD KARMA! This forum is for questions and discussions you would like reviewed by members of the KCBS(or other BBQ orgs) Board of Directors. A clean and direct place where they do not have to wade thru day to day chatter.

Unread 02-04-2010, 10:05 PM   #16
SirPorkaLot
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by G$ View Post
Well said Ford, and well reasoned, I appreciate the comments.

Also, I disagree, but then I'm a guy that would prefer we not allow electric fan assist or electric driven augers.

I can truly understand the point of view, that says "open it up", but for me, there IS a line we can draw that preserves a slightly more traditional, I'll even say primitive, requirement for BBQ cooking. Different strokes for different folks.
Ditto that

outlaw pellets, electric blowers, stokers, gurus. Let's go back to basics, and see where the chips fall then.

If the do allow propane, I am bringing my fish cooker, and gonna boil me some ribs!

Back to back winner of the BBQ Brethren Throwdown with a pig leg and something funky
CBBQA & KCBS member: Sir Porkalot BBQ Team
NC & NorCal (Yes I stay confused)
BLUE Thermapen
Visit my website: http://www.sirporkalot.com
SirPorkaLot is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Unread 02-04-2010, 10:32 PM   #17
Gene01
Knows what a fatty is.

Uploads: 0

as an FYI, many of the board members do look at the forums on a reguar basis, they may not post often, they do want to stay in touch with what members think, I am not sure how this or any other rule vote may go, we will see...... some people think that we the board make up the agenda item rule requests, these are all from the membership, we just vote for or against what is presented to us... Linda Mulane collected this information from KCBS members at the rules meeting last month....
Gene01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2010, 11:52 PM   #18
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene01 View Post
as an FYI, many of the board members do look at the forums on a reguar basis, they may not post often, they do want to stay in touch with what members think, I am not sure how this or any other rule vote may go, we will see...... some people think that we the board make up the agenda item rule requests, these are all from the membership, we just vote for or against what is presented to us... Linda Mulane collected this information from KCBS members at the rules meeting last month....
Approximately 70 out of 11,000+ members. Most not even cooks. That's crappier numbers than the voter turn-out.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2010, 11:55 PM   #19
Jeff_in_KC

In regards to allowing propane cookers at a contest with tons of people crowded into a fairly tight area, I have one question...

Jim (River City Smokehouse), how are you feeling after the propane accident you had with your smoker a couple of years ago?

If it can happen to Jimmy, it can happen to anyone. And I certainly wouldn't want to be a team next to another team using propane when the schrapnel starts flying.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2010, 12:08 AM   #20
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPorkaLot View Post
Let's go back to basics, and see where the chips fall then.
Can't - KCBS has a rule about open flame and digging a pit. If we outlaw guru's and augers and forced air - insulated smokers will be next, then the gauge of steel allowed on the smoke chamber, then a pit itself. And what about equipment outside the pit itself? No campers or trailers. Can we have cots?

Am I exaggerating? Guess that's subjective too.

Am I in favor of legalizing gas? I'd like to think I really don't have an opinion. If another team want to use one, I don't have a problem as long as it's safe for everyone. I guess since we do cook some of our categories on a pellet smoker, I would be a hypocrite to say it shouldn't be allowed. As a competitor, I welcome them. As a concerned individual I'd just want to make sure everyone's safety is factored into the decision.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2010, 01:16 AM   #21
tmcmaster
is One Chatty Farker

I see all the points to allow propane, but I still feel like it is... somehow... dirty... using it for a contest. Maybe it's just me, but I could also see some zoning issues with the contest sites for having flammable and under pressure tanks in such close proximity to potential open fires, or at the very least sparks...
Unread 02-05-2010, 07:00 AM   #22
CajunSmoker
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: Rolling down the river between St Louis and New Orleans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC View Post
In regards to allowing propane cookers at a contest with tons of people crowded into a fairly tight area, I have one question...

Jim (River City Smokehouse), how are you feeling after the propane accident you had with your smoker a couple of years ago?

If it can happen to Jimmy, it can happen to anyone. And I certainly wouldn't want to be a team next to another team using propane when the schrapnel starts flying.
If I recall correctly, Jim's accident happened with a gas assist on a stick burner. They are already legal and in use at every contest.

How y'all are? I'm glad you got to see me I guarontee Justin Wilson 4/24/1914 - 09/05/2001
CAJUN QUE KREWE Proud ARKLAFO
KCBS member & CBJ#24398
Twin CoonAss Ugly Drum Smokers
Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe
Brinkman Gourmet ECB with super chicken mods
Weber OTS kettle
CajunSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2010, 07:13 AM   #23
Capn Kev
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy View Post
Or different STOKES for different folks... as it were.

FEC-100, REC TEC Grill, WSM 22.5", UDS, KCBS CBJ #54829
Capn Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2010, 07:27 AM   #24
BBQ Grail

Quote:
Let's go back to basics, and see where the chips fall then.
"Back to basics"

Interesting term. What exactly are the basics and who gets to decide what basics were. How basic is basic?

If you really went back to the basics then you're cooking in a hole in the ground over whatever wood you can find. Or do you only go back to the basic of cooking on an old oil barrel you found in a field?

Back to basics...only salt and pepper. No rubs or sauces?

It seems in many cases "back to basics" just means I don't want you to use anything different than what I'm using.

The best way to reach me is with email: larry@thebbqgrail.com
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Unread 02-05-2010, 08:20 AM   #25
SirPorkaLot
Babbling Farker

Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Grail View Post
"Back to basics"

Interesting term. What exactly are the basics and who gets to decide what basics were. How basic is basic?

If you really went back to the basics then you're cooking in a hole in the ground over whatever wood you can find. Or do you only go back to the basic of cooking on an old oil barrel you found in a field?

Back to basics...only salt and pepper. No rubs or sauces?

It seems in many cases "back to basics" just means I don't want you to use anything different than what I'm using.
Touche'

very valid points.

Back to back winner of the BBQ Brethren Throwdown with a pig leg and something funky
CBBQA & KCBS member: Sir Porkalot BBQ Team
NC & NorCal (Yes I stay confused)
BLUE Thermapen
Visit my website: http://www.sirporkalot.com
SirPorkaLot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2010, 08:44 AM   #26
Spydermike72
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene01 View Post
Thanks Gene, but based on the comments on this forum it seems that the exact opposite happened at the Rules Meeting...
Backwoods Competitor
Backwoods Party
Ranch Kettle,Weber Performerl
Certified Moink Baller
President of the Great Lakes BBQ Association

For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know
Spydermike72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2010, 08:45 AM   #27
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Ditto that

outlaw pellets, electric blowers, stokers, gurus. Let's go back to basics, and see where the chips fall then.

If the do allow propane, I am bringing my fish cooker, and gonna boil me some ribs!

I will proudly say that I can kick ass with a FEC or charcoal and wood. The cooker is not the answer, it is the cook.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Unread 02-05-2010, 08:56 AM   #28
NateOwsley
On the road to being a farker

I am completely against using propane or electric as a source of heat for competition. I can see some of Ford's points. But money should not be the end all for every situation. Here are my reasons why.

-I like knowing that I know the true meaning of bbq vs. grilling, something that the majority of americans don't. If we allow propane and electricity you can kiss that goodbye.
-Currently most competitions have a backyard competition as well. I know for me this was the first thing I entered and it hooked me enough to join KCBS and start competing. So I don't know if the train of thought that it will bring more joe q public's into the fold is really that valid.
-If things work out the way that Ford said they will then more restaurant rigs will show up and what will that do for entry fee's? They may go up. Expanding on that and my last point, I don't know how many joe q public's are going to show up with their propane weber if they are sitting next to a $10K ole hickory pit.
-Plus with the popularity that competition has going right now with TLC's pitmasters and the food network shows we would be in danger of losing the prestige that being a competitive bbq cooker has. If anyone can enter and compete with the $75 propane grill that they bought from walmart then why would a big time sponsor want to put forth any money? That's like Crayola sponsoring a coloring contest for Monet and 8 year old Johnny.
-plus why wouldn't anyone just bring their camper and cook everything in their propane oven if they had the option?
-I also see propane as a potential safety issue. Even if it hasn't happened yet, it only takes one death because of an explosion to ruin the image of competition bbq. Expanding on that maybe the use of propane assisted starters should be banned as well.
Having said all this, if it had to happen, I would be in favor of maybe two divisions of competition, one for charcoal and stick burners and the other for alternative fuels like propane and electricity.
NateOwsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2010, 09:16 AM   #29
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

I dont agree, people keep sayin that Propane isnt BBQ. If you look at the term BBQ, isnt a bbq a gathering of good people to enjoy fellowship on a nice sunny day. Isnt it more about being with friends and having a good time. The product is just smoked meat with some sauce on it. They say on many shows about bbq, that bbq is low and slow. Grilling is hot and fast. In the last couple of months, I have read more about hot and fast cooking than I have about low and slow. Kinda confusing why people are changing how they cook, but are so closed minded about what they cook on. I guess I say bring on the Propane, if good people come with it.

Dan

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2010, 09:17 AM   #30
G$
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Bobby View Post
Can't - KCBS has a rule about open flame and digging a pit. If we outlaw guru's and augers and forced air - insulated smokers will be next, then the gauge of steel allowed on the smoke chamber, then a pit itself. And what about equipment outside the pit itself? No campers or trailers. Can we have cots?

Am I exaggerating? Guess that's subjective too.
Why is there no line in the sand in between "Hole in the ground" and "anything goes"?

You are 100% correct, this is somewhat subjective, but that doesn't mean you can't pick a spot on that continuum, subjectively, and say "this best represents the spirit of American Barbeque". I think you can. And I think that line doesn't include Gas and Electric as part of the cooking and cooking control process.

If the goal is to get the largest contests, with the biggest prize pool, and the most exposure, then "let it roll" is the way to go. No doubt about it.

If you want to balance some sense of rustic heritage with the reality of the modern times, you need to pick a point somewhere else along the line. This doesn't require writing rules to the minutiae.

As always, just my opinion. Good discussion as always.
G$ is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->