The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.


Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.


Reply
Thread Tools
Unread 02-02-2010, 11:56 AM   #1
CaptainJimmy
Full Fledged Farker
 
CaptainJimmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-04-09
Location: Howell, NJ
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default adjusting BGE bands after gasket installation

I just finally got around to pulling my egg apart and making a righteous mess of my clean carpet (its too damned cold to scrape outside screw that noise).

I just put my egg back together while the super77 cures... i was just doing a couple quick dollar bill tests, and I get good 'resistance' on about 80% of the egg, and SOME, but not much resistance on the other 20%.

if you look at it like a clock from the top down, i'm getting not much resistance from 2oclock to 5oclock.

My question is: How do I adjust the bands so that area has more resistance? do I tap the top band down in that area, top band up, bottom band down or up?
__________________
BGE Large&Weber OTS 22.5" Craigslist rescues
CaptainJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 02-02-2010, 12:05 PM   #2
CaptainJimmy
Full Fledged Farker
 
CaptainJimmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-04-09
Location: Howell, NJ
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default



forgive my crappy cell camera.. 5 megapixels what?!
__________________
BGE Large&Weber OTS 22.5" Craigslist rescues
CaptainJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 02-02-2010, 12:28 PM   #3
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.
 
JD McGee's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-28-07
Location: Duvall, WA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

From the BGE site...good luck!

There is a gap between the dome and base of my EGG and smoke is leaking out. How can I correct this?
Fortunately, a small gap between the base and the dome can be easily fixed. Simply loosen the upper band just enough to move the lid; then press the lid down tightly against the base and retighten the bolt. This should eliminate the gap and resolve smoke leakage.

If this technique does not remedy the problem, there is another option. Sometimes through normal use the two nuts holding the spring to the lower edge of the band can loosen. If these nuts are no longer in a parallel line, tighten them until they are parallel again.
__________________
Wine Country "Q" Competition BBQ
PNWBA Team of the Year...2011, 2012, & 2013
Founder
Northwest BBQ Society
We cook on MAK Grills , Big Poppa Drum Smokers, & WSM's
Proudly sponsored by Big Poppa Smokers, Kosmo's Q, Simply Marvelous BBQ, and MAK Grills
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 02-02-2010, 01:41 PM   #4
bbqbull
Moderator

 
bbqbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-27-05
Location: Mid Michigan
Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default

I believe there are some Youtube videos that discuss adjust the bands as well.
Just do a search on Youtube.
__________________
You have never really lived until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.

KC I miss your advice.

Heavily medicated for your protection.



Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote


Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My BGE Gasket Is Toast TedW Q-talk 59 12-11-2012 10:21 PM
BGE Gasket Wilcox farmer Q-talk 3 12-11-2011 09:19 AM
XL BGE Gasket Help halfprice Q-talk 6 12-06-2011 10:49 AM
So I replaced the gasket on my BGE... Groundhog66 Q-talk 10 12-27-2010 03:42 PM
BGE: Fried Gasket OneHump Q-talk 11 12-23-2010 10:56 PM

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Loading



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.
no new posts