ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 02-01-2010, 10:24 AM   #1
Todd Ras
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Piedmontese Brisket

Hey guys,

Be off the board for a little while as I had to focus more on my job this year like most people in sales world had to!

I have a question. I found a Montana Piedmontese Brisket from a local high end shop and decided to try it out. Wasn't cheap, I think it was $90.00 for a 13lbs brisket. The darn thing was so tender you could bend it in half, but I was worried it was too lean.

It was fine brisket, tasted a little different than a CAB or Choice. I was just wondering if anyone else has tried one and what they thought?

Hope everyone is doing well,

Todd
Donkey Punch BBQ
Todd Ras is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-01-2010, 10:28 AM   #2
Smokey Al Gold
is Blowin Smoke!

Sounds good for something that didn't happen..... Love the name of your Team LMAO! I get it.

Creator of:
"The Great Chicken Sammich Debacle of 2010"
Smokey Al Gold is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-01-2010, 10:31 AM   #3
Todd Ras
On the road to being a farker

HAHA, man I forgot about the pron! Crap...I will see if I had some still on the camera. I told ya I have been off the board for a while and forgot the rules!!

I only ask because I keep hearing about Wagyu briskets and wanted to see if anyone else has tried this one!
Todd Ras is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-01-2010, 10:46 AM   #4
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Here's a pic for ya...it's a bit rare though...

History of the Piedmontese

In the beginning...

25,000 years ago a migration of Zebu or Brahman cattle from Pakistan made its way into north western Italy. Blocked by the Alps Mountains from moving further, these cattle stayed and intermingled with the local "native" cattle - the Auroch
Myostatin occurs naturally in all mammals. Its effect is to restrict muscle growth. However, when the gene has naturally mutated, as is the case with the Piedmontese cattle, it can become in-active and no longer prevents muscle development. This allows for what has been called "double muscling" - a very mis-leading term. In reality, the disfunctional Myostatin removes the "growth governor" and allows these cattle to develop on average 14 percent more muscle mass than cattle with functional myostatin.
The effects of the Myostatin gene - which allows this breed to produce MORE beef per carcass - also dramatically improves the beef tenderness, leaness and healthfulness. The facts are - there is no better breeding choice to improve BEEF production and BEEF quality than Piedmontese.
North American History

The first Piedmontese in North America arrived in the fall of 1979 - through an importation made from Italy by the PBL Co-operative of Saskatchewan, Canada. Many attempts had been made prior to this time to import the breed, both by the PBL Co-op and other cattlemen, but there had been a reluctance by the Italian Association to sell pure breeding stock - as well as significant difficulty due to health protocols. There were 5 animals in total that arrived in Canada inthe first importation: 1 bull named "Brindisi", and 4 females "Banana", "Biba", "Bisca" and "Binda".
Northwest BBQ Society
We cook on MAK Grills , Big Poppa Drum Smokers, & WSM's
Proudly sponsored by Big Poppa Smokers, Kosmo's Q, Simply Marvelous BBQ, and MAK Grills
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-01-2010, 10:01 PM   #5
cowgirl

Piedmontese is my favorite beef. The best tasting steaks I've ever had were Piedmontese.. It was raised locally.
I raise black angus because that's what brings in the most money right now. Red angus is getting popular too.
I need to raise a Pied for myself.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-01-2010, 10:11 PM   #6
swamprb

Paul Ostrom did a fantastic review here:
http://www.thepickledpig.com/forums/...s-35-pics.html
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-02-2010, 12:55 AM   #7
bigabyte

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 1

First I've heard of it personally. At first I figured this was going to be similar to Colorado Brisket, but looks like I was wrong.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote