The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 01-31-2010, 03:30 PM   #1
snoutsfeathersandhorns
Found some matches.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Contest Question

Hey guys it is time once again for the Keansburg Fire Company #1 BBQ cook-off located in Keansburg NJ. It has been held in May for the last 2 years. We are trying to find a date later in the year that works for our contestants. If anyone has any thoughts about this please let me know. Thanks Bill
snoutsfeathersandhorns is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-31-2010, 04:34 PM   #2
smoke-n-my-i's
is One Chatty Farker

Go back and if you have the members applications from the previous ones, contact them and ask them. And be sure to check around and make sure that it will not be in conflict with another one in say a 100 miles radius. Otherwise, you might loose members to it, especially if pay out is more. Just a couple of thoughts for you to consider.
2 UGLY drum smokers
Weber 22 1/2" & 18 1/2" Kettle
Super fast RED Thermapen
Screaming fast ORANGE Thermapen
KCBS Certified Table Captain
KCBS Certified Judge
smoke-n-my-i's is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-31-2010, 09:41 PM   #3
Just Smokin' Around
Full Fledged Farker

For mid-Atlantic comps, mid June to Mid July is not very busy. Mays Landing is July 9/10. Also, Late July early August is usually open. If you are looking after Labor day, it can be fairly busy, but there are available weekend.

You need to look at the comps that draw the teams you are trying to attract and try and be two weeks away from those comps. A lot of teams don't want to do back to back weekends if possible. I would avoid conflicts with the NJ comps, Bel Air, New Holland.

I would look at the KCBS website for posted events. While all are not there yet, many are. From what I can tell, the last 3 weekends in June are open. I think this is your better choice ( 6/18,19 or 6/25/26 even though DC in the 26th). Or last weekend in July first weekend in August.

Good Luck!! Remember, you'll never please everybody no matter what date you pick.
Medium BGE, Weber Kettle and gasser, other toys
Just Smokin' Around is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-03-2010, 08:08 PM   #4
snoutsfeathersandhorns
Found some matches.

Thanks guys. The biggest problem is for the last two years I have done this with little sponsorship. I don't want jump in again if I cant pull off prizes etc. We are a very small fire department within a tiny town, we have no major sponsor leads. I have contacted every company I can think of but no one ever gets back to me. I will keep plugging away and have more info soon. Thanks Again
snoutsfeathersandhorns is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-04-2010, 07:39 PM   #5
falldownbbq
Banned

been to this event.. great time.. who needs prize money when we get a free keg!!
falldownbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-04-2010, 07:39 PM   #6
butt head
is one Smokin' Farker

Bill, have you tried the acme in your area. my company do's the fire inspections for them and they are making alot of changes(spending money).

meadow creek ts250- w/ 42 chicken cooker
butt head is offline   Reply With Quote