Ron_L

Administrator

Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Staff member
Name or Nickame
Captain Ron
I've been wanting to try Dr. BBQ's Italian beef recipe for a long time, so tonight was the night. I had a 3 1/2 pound top round roast in the freezer that I bought on sale a while ago and vac-u-sucked. I used my new Rival electric roaster to cook it instead of the oven and it worked out well.

P5080222.JPG

P5080223.JPG

P5080224.JPG

I think this was the best Italian beef recipe that I have tried. I'll definately do it again! Thanks, Ray!

I've been wanting to try Dr. BBQ's Italian beef recipe for a long time, so tonight was the night. I had a 3 1/2 pound top round roast in the freezer that I bought on sale a while ago and vac-u-sucked. I used my new Rival electric roaster to cook it instead of the oven and it worked out well.

P5080222.JPG

P5080223.JPG

P5080224.JPG

I think this was the best Italian beef recipe that I have tried. I'll definately do it again! Thanks, Ray!

Thank you Ron, I'm glad you liked it. I really think I figured out what the beef guys are doing and I'm proud of that recipe. I may have to make a batch myself real soon.

It was very close to the big name beef shops. The only thing I did different than the base recipe is to double up on the gravy. We like our beefs wet. I always order mine drowned :-D

Love the avatar, BTW. We're glad to see that you are still using it.

DSC06476JPGa.jpg

I like it too.... Ray's tip on chilling and sicing the next day is hard to do, but worth it.

DSC06464JPGa.jpg

That just got added to this list. Nice cook and thanks for sharing!

I like it too.... Ray's tip on chilling and sicing the next day is hard to do, but worth it.

I agree, but I didn't have time to chill it overnight so i went with a little over 4 hours and it sliced just fine. I have a Chef's Choice slicer that I bought from Cabela's a couple of years ago and set it to the thinnest setting and it was fine.

Ron L your making me homesick. Good looking beef sandwich there. The rest of the country doesn't know what a good Itlalian Beef from Chicago is. Aint no French Dip.

That looks killer...hmmm...I've got a pound of Kobe sirloin in the freezer...do you think I could grill it, refrigerate, slice, and serve?

I've never had an Italian Beef before. Must be a Chicago thing, we don't have them around here in Bama. It looks awesome though! I'm gonna have to make some and get my Chicago on!

The sandwich was delicious!!! I just remembered today I like to add some mozzarella cheese on my Italian beefs. We had plenty of meat leftover so I think I will have one that way for lunch this week.

Ron L your making me homesick. Good looking beef sandwich there. The rest of the country doesn't know what a good Itlalian Beef from Chicago is. Aint no French Dip.

You've got that right Cast Iron! Nice job Ron L & Thank you DrBBQ!
I was born & raised in Cicero. Can't say I miss Cicero, but I love me some beefs. Everytime I go back home to visit, Brother NeoTrout and I go to Buona Beef...

http://www.buona.com/ (they will ship)

They sell their gravy to go. I always bring some home. I have 2 containers in the freezer right now. I lived in Chicagoland for 31 years, and let me tell you that Buona's is as good or better than any other beef joint I have tried.

Here's my cheating mod...
Buy some thinly sliced (almost, but not quite shaved) roast beef from your favorite deli.
Go to Jimmy John's sandwich shop (if there's one near you) and buy their day old bread for .50 cents a loaf.
Heat up the Buona gravy and then add the beef. After a couple of minutes load the beef on your bread. Then dip the ends of the sammie into the gravy (Ron L mod). You will think your in Chicagoland!

Traditional Toppings:
Sweet Peppers
Giardiniera (hot pepper mix) http://www.dellalpe.com (they will ship)
Red Sauce
Mozzarella Cheese (melted)

After writing this I will have 1 less container of gravy in my freezer.
Thaw mod for tomorrow! :lol:

Last edited:
Back