THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Divemaster

somebody shut me the fark up.
Sing to the tune of the ‘Beverly Hillbillies’…

Come listen to my story ‘bout a man name Jeff
Who went to the store to buy himself some bread
Walked past the Meat and what did he see?
Pink Pork Chops for 99 cents a piece.
Pound that is, Imperial weight…

So he just looked in to check them out and thought
Nice bulk price and just the thickness that he’d want.
Reached into the case and what did he feel?
Warm raw meat!!!! (Insert screeching of the needle dragged across a record sound here)

That’s right. I went to my local Dominick’s (Safeway) on my way home around 5:00 to actually pick up some dried split peas and as most of us do, walked by the meat counter. There I found bulk packages of pork chops a little over 1/2 inch thick, just the right thickness for a quick fry. I reached into the case and the package actually felt warm. Now the temperature outside was about 20* and the cart was cold so I thought it was just me. Then I looked at the case thermometer and it said 68.9*. WHAT!!!!!!

Just then the ‘butcher’ (I have a real hard time calling him a butcher since I don’t think they actually ever pick up a knife) came out. I pointed out the temperature of the case and his response was “We’re just defrosting it. The meat is fine.”

My response was something along the lines of “I beg your pardon? You’ve got to be kidding me?!?! You are not allowed to store meat at this temperature. This meat should have been removed before you started ‘defrosting’.”

His reply just blew me away. “If you don’t like how we handle the meat, just buy your F**king meat elsewhere.”

“I beg your pardon?!?!? Did you just say what I think you said?!?!?” At this point other customers are looking. “So you don’t care if your customers get sick from the meat you are storing at almost 70*?”

It is at this point I went to the store manager and asked “So what are you going to do once the health department comes in and closes the store?”

With a blank stare he replied “I’m not sure I understand.”

So I took him back to the meat department and showed him the case and the thermometer. His eyes got big as saucers and yelled for the ‘butcher’. As they were removing the meat I asked what he was going to do with it.

“It’ll be marked for ‘destruction’. Thank you for pointing this out.”

This is when I went around to the other coolers and started pointing out that there were 3 more that were over 55*, and that I expected all of the meat in those to also be disposed of.

Yes I stood there and watched while they removed all of the meat and yes, I’m going to make a call to the Health Department this morning.

Thanks for letting me rant….

WTF! Way to keep your cool and not punch his lights out, Jeff when he dropped the F-bomb on you! I might have been waiting for his arse to get off work!

Last edited:
WTF! Way to keep your cook and not punch his lights out, Jeff when he dropped the F-bomb on you! I might have been waiting for his arse to get off work!

Trust me, it took a bit for me not to do just that... Ramona is trying to teach me to be 'kinder and more gental and to remember that they are children of God...' I leaning more towards 'children of a lesser god'... I have a feeling that he won't be there long once they total out all that they had to toss....

Three cheer's for divemaster HOORAY HOORAY HOORAY!! Thanks for watching out for the rest of us! I think the butcher for lack of a better term should be forced to eat chops tar tar for his ingnorance. After he becaomes ill and spends a couple days with his toilet we'll see if his attitude changes.

Nice eye, and way to do the right thing.

Stop by there tomorrow and check on their manager's special on pork sausage....
That's why I don't buy store made ground beef/chuck anymore. Imagine that level of competence choosing what trim gets used where.

I actually hate to say this but....if you didnt see them "destroy" the meat, they probably put it in the back cooler and brought it back out. The manager doesnt want to show that kinda waste because that effects his pay.

I was watching some corned beef briskets at my local store and say they were about to bor out of date, stoped back the last day of the sell by and they changed the dates. I asked the butcher what was up and he said as long as the chryo was intact it was policy to change the dates for another 7 days. I never looked at them again.

scary stuff isnt it..

Hooooooly Mooooly! Yes, please do report them, FAST. They're in that job, and
THAT IGNORANT? Daaaaaayyyyyaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmm...... Something tells
me there's hundreds of folks who'd take those jobs in a heartbeat and do MUCH
better.

I also suggest, that if they're a chain, you also call (after calling the Health Dept)
their mothership (the headquarters). They should know.

Hooooooly Mooooly! Yes, please do report them, FAST. They're in that job, and
THAT IGNORANT? Daaaaaayyyyyaaaaaammmmmmmmmmmm...... Something tells
me there's hundreds of folks who'd take those jobs in a heartbeat and do MUCH
better.

I also suggest, that if they're a chain, you also call (after calling the Health Dept)
their mothership (the headquarters). They should know.

Dominick's is Safeway. Used to be a good local Chicago chain, but the family wanted to retire so they sold out.

Holy crap. The F bomb would have thrown me into an absolute rage. You did the right thing. I hope they followed through.

Did you mention the F-Bomb to the manager with so called “Butcher” standing there?? That would get him written up pretty quick as the whole incident should.

The 55* reading can be normal in a defrost cycle, the guage is not measuring the temp of the case, rather it is a reading of the temp of the refridgerarion lines. If you look often the case guage will read sub 30* and the actual temp will be near 40*.

Totally insane on the 70*, most places you won't lose much when a refridgeration case goes bad, stores are usually insured for a loss like that.

It is scary how often the more expensive marinated meats are the out of date meats from last week. It happens more in the smaller stores than the big stores in my experiance.

I'm glad you pointed that out to them Jeff! I stopped shopping there a few years ago. I did not like the quality of meat they had and the milk just had a different taste to it. The dates on when items expire like yogurt were only good for one or two weeks.

I actually hate to say this but....if you didnt see them "destroy" the meat, they probably put it in the back cooler and brought it back out. The manager doesnt want to show that kinda waste because that effects his pay.
I just got off of the phone with the inspecter. She was on her way out there... "If I recall their trash pickup is in the afternoon. I'll be looking there first." I like the way she works.

I was watching some corned beef briskets at my local store and say they were about to bor out of date, stoped back the last day of the sell by and they changed the dates. I asked the butcher what was up and he said as long as the chryo was intact it was policy to change the dates for another 7 days. I never looked at them again.

scary stuff isnt it..
Very Scarry...
The 55* reading can be normal in a defrost cycle, the guage is not measuring the temp of the case, rather it is a reading of the temp of the refridgerarion lines. If you look often the case guage will read sub 30* and the actual temp will be near 40*.

Totally insane on the 70*, most places you won't lose much when a refridgeration case goes bad, stores are usually insured for a loss like that.

It is scary how often the more expensive marinated meats are the out of date meats from last week. It happens more in the smaller stores than the big stores in my experiance.
I would normally agree but I could see the probes in the case and the lines going back to the thermometer...

And this, is why we stopped buying meat at Dominicks over a decade ago.

Its not just your location Jeff, its a system wide problem.

It was a well known fact a few years ago that when you bought meat from them, it was an open invitation to Sam and Ella to come to dinner too.

Back