The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Unread 01-22-2010, 09:38 PM   #1
Alan in Ga
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Frustrating day BIG job offer and I had to say no

I had to turn down a 1000 person catering job today because I am not equipped to handle one that large yet. I was an outdoor event for a childrens fishing tourney. We are a very new upstart company that has been doing small "caterings" to co-workers and a few churches. I want to get big enough to handle jobs this large but not there yet. Got our name and number from word of mouth and sought me out at work. I told him I appreciated the offer but it was too large at this time but I would be glad to handle anything smaller in the near future and was looking to expand our business. Anybody else had to do this in the beginning and did it affect business in the future. Alan
__________________________________________________ _________

57 Smokehouse BBQ Team
NB offset
250R offset trailer (very soon)

www.57smokehouse.blogspot.com/
[SIZE=3]Golden Goose Egg(4 Times Certified)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Stumps 223 ,2 UDS,NB Hondo[/SIZE]
Alan in Ga is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-22-2010, 09:58 PM   #2
BigJimsBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Alan,

Just a suggestion. Get to know fellow BBQ Brethren local and Brethren can band together and do large jobs. You of course have to know and trust them prior to setting up, but it is a way to get the large jobs. Of course everyone gets a split of the profit.

Unread 01-22-2010, 10:42 PM   #3
Alan in Ga
is One Chatty Farker

wouldn't have it any other way (profit wise) I new here but getting to know some wonderful people
[SIZE=3]Golden Goose Egg(4 Times Certified)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Stumps 223 ,2 UDS,NB Hondo[/SIZE]
Alan in Ga is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-22-2010, 10:46 PM   #4
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

You should have taken the job, rented equipment if needed, if you kept the menu simple, it is pretty simple. For 1000 people, let me know if you can get the job I will drive down from NJ with an fec750 and a hell of a lot more equipment for the right price and we can get it done together. Get that job back!

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-22-2010, 11:12 PM   #5
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

On the other side of the coin, you apparently have a good reputation building and should not be blind to your capabilities. Yes, you need to make strategic partnerships and find a good team, but, never take a job that you know you are not prepared to do and damage that reputation. A good reputation is hard to build, it is much harder to rebuild it.

Whip It Off, Chambers!

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-22-2010, 11:58 PM   #6
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC PIG ASSASSINS View Post
You should have taken the job, rented equipment if needed, if you kept the menu simple, it is pretty simple. For 1000 people, let me know if you can get the job I will drive down from NJ with an fec750 and a hell of a lot more equipment for the right price and we can get it done together. Get that job back!

and THERES YOUR ANSWER!

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-23-2010, 06:58 AM   #7
BigJimsBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Alan,

I have a mobile kitchen and a Lang model 84 live in Newnan, GA. Send me a PM (personal message) so we can discuss.

Unread 01-23-2010, 07:27 AM   #8
timzcardz
Babbling Farker

If this business is what you want to do, then never turn down a job because it is too big. If there is enough lead time you can figure out how to do it, and it will lead to many more jobs. The above responses should already show you how to get er done.
Weber Genesis Silver x 2
Weber One Touch Gold
Weber Performer x 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Bottle of Absolut
Bottle of Beer
Everything Ripken, "Cards and Que. One tastes of cardboard, the other sweet blue." ©
timzcardz is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-25-2010, 12:48 AM   #9
bbqpitstop

Downloads:
Uploads:

My commercial smoker has been lent out to fellow bbq brethren on many occassions for larger jobs with much success.....anyone in my neck of the woods can keep that in mind.

Giggler, when ya bringing the rig back ? lol, just kidding, I'll let ya know if I need it, I'd rather you practice on it at your house so we can get a few big jobs this summer and punch it out together.

Unread 01-28-2010, 03:11 PM   #10
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

I guess there was no getting this job back.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-28-2010, 03:47 PM   #11
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Brethren and rental equipment should be your answer.

https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/stor...nufacturer=314