The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 11-17-2011, 12:46 PM   #1
Lytnin
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Wood source question

So I have yet to get my WSM (prolly get me one for a xmas present) but I have been looking around to see where I can get wood fairly cheap. Now I have the luxury of working at a technical college where we have a cabinetmaking and millworking program. I actually went through the course a year ago and they have a really nice setup. In the lab they have a bin for scraps that are too small to do anything important with. They dump this bin every week in the dumpster, however they allow anybody that wants to grab scrap for firewood to do so for free.

Now I know that some lumber is chemically treated but all of the stuff they work with and require students to bring in is rough, untreated lumber. So I'm guessing that as long as I'm careful and can identify anything that may be treated that this stuff would be just as good as anything I could get anyplace else, correct? I mean they basically take a rough sawn board from a tree, run it through a planer & jointer, cut it down to size and then pitch the scraps so it should be safe to use. It would just be some of the prettiest looking firewood I'll ever use.

I have poked around in the bin a couple of times and seen lots of oak, not as much cherry, some walnut and a rare hickory piece. Lots of crappy pine and poplar to sort out and they keep the plywood in a separate bin so no worries there.

Thoughts?
Lytnin is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-17-2011, 12:50 PM   #2
BobBrisket

As long as you can be certain that it wasn't treated and what type of wood it is, then by all means you can use it! I'd stock up if I was you! Free is even better.

Bob
UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker-Courtesy of Poobah, WSM, 22.5 Weber Kettles-K and DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver B, Lil' Chief Smoker, Lodge Sportman Grill, Backyard Fire Pit, Dutch Ovens, Discada Set Up!
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver

My BEST Compliment......"You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son.
Git Smokin, Dan!
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-17-2011, 12:52 PM   #3
Hankdad1
Full Fledged Farker

Sounds like a great opportunity to me.
Hankdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-17-2011, 12:54 PM   #4
tish
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lytnin View Post
So I have yet to get my WSM (prolly get me one for a xmas present) but I have been looking around to see where I can get wood fairly cheap. Now I have the luxury of working at a technical college where we have a cabinetmaking and millworking program. I actually went through the course a year ago and they have a really nice setup. In the lab they have a bin for scraps that are too small to do anything important with. They dump this bin every week in the dumpster, however they allow anybody that wants to grab scrap for firewood to do so for free.

Now I know that some lumber is chemically treated but all of the stuff they work with and require students to bring in is rough, untreated lumber. So I'm guessing that as long as I'm careful and can identify anything that may be treated that this stuff would be just as good as anything I could get anyplace else, correct? I mean they basically take a rough sawn board from a tree, run it through a planer & jointer, cut it down to size and then pitch the scraps so it should be safe to use. It would just be some of the prettiest looking firewood I'll ever use.

I have poked around in the bin a couple of times and seen lots of oak, not as much cherry, some walnut and a rare hickory piece. Lots of crappy pine and poplar to sort out and they keep the plywood in a separate bin so no worries there.

Thoughts?
I'd be backing the car right up to the bin. Jump on it!
Bubba Keg, Weber Genesis E-310 NG
Mini WSM, Shhh!!! Michael's surprise
<'\__!
.// .\\ Puppy baby says 'piss on it and walk away!'
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud recipient of a certifiably uncertified limited edition MOINK ball certificate!!
tish is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-17-2011, 01:21 PM   #5
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

The only thing I would worry about is how dry it is. If I recall, wood used for furniture is normally around 5-7%. If that is the case, you are going to find that it’s going to want to burn more than smoke.

My best suggestion is to bring some home once you get your WSM and give it a shot on a couple of fatties. If it works out, grab as much as you can get your hands on.
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-17-2011, 01:25 PM   #6
NRA4Life
is One Chatty Farker

I'm using a lot of hickory scrap that I get from my buddy's hardwood flooring company. It is clean and kiln dried to about 6% moisture content. It is great and burns super clean. Get all that scrap wood that you can, it is good stuff.
Superior SS-3 - Courtesy of Gainesville Jaycees and Superior Smokers
2 Custom Built Reverse Flow Stickburners
Weber 22.5" WSM
Weber 26.75" OTG
Weber Blue 2000 Stainless Performer
NRA4Life is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 11-17-2011, 03:28 PM   #7
razrbakcrzy
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 1

get it, use it, enjoy it!!!
Future Smoker
$5438.25 Total BYC Smoker!!

Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985
razrbakcrzy is offline   Reply With Quote