ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 01-20-2010, 03:21 PM   #1
Home Grown
Found some matches.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Brick BBQ Plans and Ideas

I am new to BBQB. I am planning on building a BBQ out of house bricks. I have thousands of bricks laying around.

I've looked at http://www.ibiblio.org/lineback/bbq/wdh.htm
I don't like the idea of shoveling hot coals. I want to put a damper between the fire box and the main grill.

I think mine will be closer to this one.http://www.instructables.com/id/Brick-Barbeque/

I think I will raise the Main grill 3 or 4 bricks higher than the fire box. I was thinking fire box, then grill, then smoker. Also have exhaust in the grill and the smoker. I also am going to add a spit in the grill to do whole pigs and hogs. It seemed to me that he made his grill section way to deep for what he was doing.

He used a drum under the grill to hold the fire. I don't see an advantage to doing that vs a firebox. If the fire box has a damper wouldn't that make it easier to control the heat? Would either way have advantages? If my fire box is brick it would last forever.

I will draw some plans and get them posted. Any comments and or thoughts are appreciated.

Last edited by Home Grown; 01-20-2010 at 03:26 PM.. Reason: Adding Pics
Home Grown is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-20-2010, 03:22 PM   #2
Bogus Chezz Hawg
is One Chatty Farker

Good luck!

Unread 01-20-2010, 03:38 PM   #3
aquablue22
Babbling Farker

Good luck, just remember we are addicted to pron!
2 - 18.5 Weber Kettle
1 - WSM Mini

I live in fear that my Wife will sell all my "TOYS" when I die for WHAT I told her I paid for them!!
aquablue22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-20-2010, 03:44 PM   #4
Home Grown
Found some matches.

Default Very basic concept design

Easy enough design to figure out what i am talking about. So fire away and tell me if anything is wrong with it. I do not want to build with brick to realize i screwed something up. I am thinking that might be hard to fix.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp BBQ Concept1.bmp (226.1 KB, 778 views)

Unread 01-20-2010, 03:52 PM   #5
sdb25
is one Smokin' Farker

Looks sweet! Ditch the smokestack on the middle grill portion.

Unread 01-20-2010, 10:20 PM   #6
rolf
Full Fledged Farker

Wow, thats a serious setup. Will you follow the picture in post one? I.e, brick firebox and grill into one unit with smoker next to it? Should work fine,
Smokey joe for trips.
rolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-21-2010, 08:30 AM   #7
h20loo
is one Smokin' Farker

I'd google "wood fired ovens" and do some research. That structure may work but it may not work well and its not like a UDS that if its crap you can just build another.
I'm going to build a wfo pizza/bread oven this year and I've travelled a bit and actually used ovens built from the plans I will be going from.
h20loo is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-21-2010, 10:18 AM   #8
Home Grown
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolf View Post
Wow, thats a serious setup. Will you follow the picture in post one? I.e, brick firebox and grill into one unit with smoker next to it? Should work fine,

Yes it is going to be very close to that. Though i want a dome shaped lid for the grill. I was thinking the space under the grill and smoker would be open for wood or if it didn't get to hot other storage maybe with doors. I am going to pour 2 to 3 inch concrete tops. then use fire brick to insulate the floors. Hopefully it keeps the heat from traveling to the bottom. If it does not then it dries my wood.

The wall will be 2 housing bricks thick. I am going to picture and log it all as I do it. Maybe it will inspire someone else. Now I just need to get my uncle to let me borrow his plasma cutter.

Unread 01-21-2010, 11:13 AM   #9
BobBrisket

WoW! You gotta admire skillz like that. Took me over two weeks to build a little firepit out of bricks and stone. I had to cover up LOTS of mistakes and learn along the way. But working with bricks and mortar is really fun.
Maybe some day. Course, I don't know why he built the vertical smoker when he has the best of both worlds right next to it. He can grill and smoke just like on a UDS. I'd go with a larger grilling area and leave out the vert. Even with a grilling area twice that size you could create a separation in the middle so that you can grill on one side and smoke on the other. I'm liking this thread.
UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker-Courtesy of Poobah, WSM, 22.5 Weber Kettles-K and DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver B, Lil' Chief Smoker, Lodge Sportman Grill, Backyard Fire Pit, Dutch Ovens, Discada Set Up!
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver

My BEST Compliment......"You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son.
Git Smokin, Dan!
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-27-2010, 04:03 PM   #10
Home Grown
Found some matches.

Default Redesign

So after looking at all the options. I agree the main grilling area can be used to smoke. I don't smoke much ill be using it less and its not worth the effort to build a separate one.

After thinking about how long it takes to cook a pig. I realized I was missing a way to prepare my coals.
I came up with an idea. I decided to make two tray ports in the front of the grill. and one at the bottom of the fire box. They will interchange. So i can fill the "fire tray" with wood and start it up open the damper leading to the grill and heat it up while making my coals in the firebox. After it has settled and i have my coals I then swap the trays from the fire box to the grill. Close the damper between the grill and the firebox. Start a new batch of wood in the fire box but use the fire boxes chimney now. Then repeat as necessary. The trays should have vents to control the air flow and regulate the temp. The trays themselves could work as vents. If I pull them out it opens, push in closed. All my ashes will be in the trays. Cleanup will be easy. I have a basic idea for the trays. I need to keep it simple and functional. And I need to be able to move them in safety. I am thinking maybe a custom pole to lock onto the front of the trays. I am posting new designs... Fire away.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp BBQ Concept2.bmp (763.2 KB, 538 views)

Unread 01-28-2010, 03:43 AM   #11
Fmart322
Knows what a fatty is.

Make sure the inside is lined with fire bricks because normal bricks can't take the heat. That's very important.
Fmart322 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-28-2010, 04:12 AM   #12
millsy
is One Chatty Farker

Keep us in the know,cant wait to see it.

Unread 01-28-2010, 10:03 AM   #13
Home Grown
Found some matches.

Default Firebox Designs

Found a nice link for firebox ideas and designs. Thought I would share it.
http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/smokehouse-firebox.htm

Unread 07-30-2010, 10:10 AM   #14
Hawg-n-Dawgz BBQ
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Well it's been a long time since your last post concerning your pit... What did you come up with? I'm thinking of building one in my backyard and I'm just starting to look into different options.

Lang84 w/Deluxe Warmer and CharGrill
Ole Hickory Pits - Conveture Tri Oven
New Braunfels Offset Smoker/Grill
Hawg-n-Dawgz BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-30-2010, 08:11 PM   #15
Philly-QueMaster
is one Smokin' Farker

Interested in hearing some updates.
Philly-QueMaster is offline   Reply With Quote