The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 02-21-2004, 05:07 PM   #1
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Saiko's virgin briskets

Gonna take the plunge tomorrow and do my first briskets. I figured what the fark, I might as well try two of them plus a pork shoulder. I've suffered enough sleep depriviation this week, so I'm gonna start with 5lb flats from costco. Got em marinating in TK's Dr. Pepper marinade as we speak.
Do any of you use a rub after you marinade, or just plop em in the smoker? I'll keep a running log of my efforts, since I'm a brisket noob and maybe someone will learn from my mistakes.

Hunk-o-meat:

Briskets marinating and pork rubbed:

For links to all my BBQ Brethren recipe posts, click http://markandteri.com/recipes.htm
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-21-2004, 05:16 PM   #2
Solidkick
somebody shut me the fark up.

Never done a brisket.......looks like a lot of meat! What wood you gonna use?

I did some spares today, 3-2-1 method, turned out just as tender as the babybacks.
Also cooked a precooked ham, foiled at 120 and took to 165, it's resting.

Keep us posted as to how it's going! I here TK's marinade is the best!

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-21-2004, 06:25 PM   #3
david
is one Smokin' Farker

TK's brisket is good, but I like this better.

Next time you should try slathering the brisket with yellow mustard and then putting the rub on. Wrap it in saran wrap overnight and cook till it's done. That's my favorite.

I use the "wild willy's" rub from the smoke & spice book.
2009: well, you'd need to actually go fishing to have stats :(
2008: David 0, Steelhead 1
2007: David 0, Steelhead 2
david is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-21-2004, 07:51 PM   #4
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

I picked up some nice seasoned cherry wood from a tree guy I discovered in my area today, so I'm a gonna use that.
I've used the same mustard/rub method on my pork shoulders before, I'll have to try that on a brisket next time out. I usually mix some mustard with some dark beer and slather that over everything, then the rub.

For links to all my BBQ Brethren recipe posts, click http://markandteri.com/recipes.htm

Unread 02-21-2004, 09:09 PM   #5
ckkphoto

Downloads:
Uploads:

You can still rub after you pull it out of the marinade, just pat it dry and rub away. Then smoke away! Put the pork over the briskets so the fat that drips out will mop the top of the briskets.

Unread 02-22-2004, 06:59 AM   #6
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Alarm at 6:00am, fire started at 6:15.
Meat on at 7:20.

The "It's Still Dark Mod":

Ready to Load

7:20am, Locked and Loaded

The "Rock Mod" in action

Unread 02-22-2004, 09:41 AM   #7
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Burned Hair Mod:

Other than that, everything going OK. Wood's been kind of a pain in the ass, I think some of it got a good soaking recently.

Unread 02-22-2004, 10:15 AM   #8
david
is one Smokin' Farker

How'd you manage to singe the forehead? I haven't even done that. I've gotten all the hair on my hands and occaisainnaly my legs, but never my forehead.

I like the idea of adding beer to the mustard. Never would have thought of it.
2009: well, you'd need to actually go fishing to have stats :(
2008: David 0, Steelhead 1
2007: David 0, Steelhead 2
david is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-22-2004, 11:37 AM   #9
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Been on smoke for 5 hours now. Internal temp on the briskets is 150, and 140 on the shoulders. So far so good.
Gonna foil both whenever they hit 170. I'm rotating and mopping every hour with apple juice and peanut oil.

Dunno how I singed my hair, it must have been when I was blowing on the embers when my fire petered out. Didn't even realize I did it until I came inside.

Unread 02-22-2004, 12:49 PM   #10
Solidkick

Ouch! That could have been serious! Of course I don't have to worry about the hair on the front of my head anymore anyway.

Cook sounds like it's going great! Can't wait to see the finished product pictures.

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-22-2004, 02:41 PM   #11
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Just pulled the briskets and put them in the cooler wrapped in a towel. Internal temps between 190 and 195. Shoulders still sitting around 165, so they still have a bit to go. Seven hours on the smoke total so far.

Unread 02-22-2004, 03:23 PM   #12
chad

Man, you are going to enjoy all of it!!

Looks good -- you stayed patient and let everything get done.

Looking forward to the critique! :D

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair
KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-22-2004, 04:00 PM   #13
tommykendall
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Burned Hair Mod
LMFAO - good job Saiko. I know it's too late but I have on occasion rubbed the brisket after the marinade pocess. Not sure that it rendered noticeable different results.

Unread 02-22-2004, 05:00 PM   #14
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

OK, I'm officially not a brisket virgin anymore. Not too shabby for the first time out either. I have no idea how it's supposed to taste, but it tastes pretty good to me. The consistency is about like a well done rib, but not falling off the bone tender like pulled pork. Some parts near the edge were a little tough, so I put them aside for brunswick stew.
I also had no friggin clue on how to cut this beast, so I just kind of guessed. I had cut one edge flat to show where the grain was, but it kind of deformed in the smoker so it was hard to tell.
Looking forward to trying one again and see if I can make it better. Overall I'm pleased with the effort though. Now my pulled pork has been in the cooler for over an hour, so I'm about to have a feast. :D

Unread 02-22-2004, 06:14 PM   #15
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

And, last but not least, a boatload of good ol' Georgia Barbeque. Now it's time to pass out.....