The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 05-08-2010, 08:09 AM   #61
ClayHill
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

so in order to participate in KCBS we must set up on Friday? And what if we dont participate in the grilling on Sat., then what? I wont come to set up on Friday.........find a place to sleep.......then sit around all day Sat. and then again find a place to sleep for a little and then compete on Sunday, how about you switch the grilling to Sunday so I can go home. I sure wish these events were separate.....along with a different fee schedule
ClayHill is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-08-2010, 08:38 AM   #62
Smokin Turkey
is One Chatty Farker

You can come and set up Saturday just like any other competition if you choose to come late. The schedule for KCBS is staying the same as this is a 3 day event and has been announced on the KCBS website as such.

Unread 05-08-2010, 08:40 AM   #63
Smokin Turkey
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayHill View Post
so in order to participate in KCBS we must set up on Friday? And what if we dont participate in the grilling on Sat., then what? I wont come to set up on Friday.........find a place to sleep.......then sit around all day Sat. and then again find a place to sleep for a little and then compete on Sunday, how about you switch the grilling to Sunday so I can go home. I sure wish these events were separate.....along with a different fee schedule
Forgive me if I'm wrong but don't you start cooking for a KCBS turn in the night before?

Unread 05-08-2010, 08:59 AM   #64
WannaBeBBQueen
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Turkey View Post
Forgive me if I'm wrong but don't you start cooking for a KCBS turn in the night before?

I know that's what we do Please try and remember that this is a first year event and Brian is busting his butt so we have a good time!!

The fee schedule is set up so we can be sanction by the KCBS. Hope this helps!
KCBS Member
KCBS CBJ
Charbroil Bandera
Charbroil Silver Smoker/Grill
Weber Kettle 18 & 26
WSM 18 1/2
Kamado 18"
FEC 100

http://www.myspace.com/wannabebbqueen
http://www.tripadvisor.com/members/JMBred

*the views of the user Skip (The Prince Consort) do not necessarily reflect those of WannaBeBBQueen...lol
WannaBeBBQueen is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 05-08-2010, 12:00 PM   #65
ClayHill
Full Fledged Farker

I do apologize for being so critical.....a bad character trait I suppose. I was really excited when I heard about an event close to home, but when I saw the fee I was taken back a bit......guess I just dont understand the cost involved in sanctioning w/KCBS. Guess I'm going to have to find a new hobby

btw, I fire my smoker around 3:00 am ......the morning of the contest.
ClayHill is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-08-2010, 05:38 PM   #66
Smokin Turkey
is One Chatty Farker

It isnt a problem if you still want to come and compete. The non sanctioned grilling event will have awards, the KCBS will also have awards, heck, showing up and setting up even has an award! Money will be awarded also so you never know I mean you could win it all back. Who knows. But I'm told competing isnt about the money to begin with. If it were, I'm sure less people would do it. I know Julie and Skip drop close to a grand each weekend just to show up and I'm sure that doesnt even cover the beer!

Unread 05-08-2010, 10:33 PM   #67
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I know its seems like the entry is high but....if you add $35.00 for electric to a base fee of $250.00 its not far off. I like the idea of custom awards, competing by a lake and the quick response to questions i have had, kinda hard to beat for $15.00.. shoot I cant even get answers from some comps , even when its basic like did you get my entry fee and is there water to the sites or do we have to carry buckets.. this is gonna be alot of fun!!

Unread 05-12-2010, 06:16 AM   #68
Smokin Turkey
is One Chatty Farker

I was at a tourism summit yesterday to promote the event and get some help in Harrisburg with getting our state championship paperwork signed. I met with one of our senators who is totally on board with this event and has vowed to get us approved for the championship!

http://wearecentralpa.com/wtaj-news-...174255&watch=1

Unread 05-12-2010, 10:27 AM   #69
SmokeInDaEye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Looking forward to it.
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-12-2010, 10:39 AM   #70
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeInDaEye View Post
Looking forward to it.
your not comming down for this one are you?

Unread 05-12-2010, 10:44 AM   #71
SmokeInDaEye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I'm hoping to. Nothing on my calendar in September.
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-12-2010, 05:23 PM   #72
Smokin Turkey
is One Chatty Farker

Sweet! Would any of you guys be interested in doing a 30-45 min class for the public anything BBQ related. Suggested topics are how build a Uds to how to make (xxxx) BBQ on your grill or even oven I would also like a BBQ purist class but I think we need to make this as much an intro to BBQ as possible. you will have the opportunty to sell t shirts rubs or promote anything u want in the class.

Unread 05-12-2010, 10:24 PM   #73
The Giggler
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Turkey View Post
It isnt a problem if you still want to come and compete. The non sanctioned grilling event will have awards, the KCBS will also have awards, heck, showing up and setting up even has an award! Money will be awarded also so you never know I mean you could win it all back. Who knows. But I'm told competing isnt about the money to begin with. If it were, I'm sure less people would do it. I know Julie and Skip drop close to a grand each weekend just to show up and I'm sure that doesnt even cover the beer!
Uuhhh, that $1k+ just starts to scratch the surface of that $50 a bottle High Roller Tequila.... :)

Competitive Cook-Contest Organizer-Promoter of Smoke and Fire

Boston Hills BBQ Fest
www.bostonhillsbbqfest.com

PROUD to support Great Lakes BBQ Supply - www.greatlakesbbqsupply.com
The Giggler is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 05-17-2010, 01:36 PM   #74
Smokin Turkey
is One Chatty Farker

I"VE GOT BIG NEWS!