The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 01-19-2010, 09:37 PM   #1
jasonalan724
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Flavor Profiles...

...what exactly are flavoer profiles and are there major profiles and minor profiles...or simple profiles and complex profiles...or heavy profiles and light profiles...or pink profiles and blue profiles...bretheren please help me out....

Do not eat the meat raw or cooked in water, but roast it over the fire… Exodus 12:9

4 UDS' - Rolling Rotis Hog Cooker - Weber Kettle Resuce Collection - ECB - Lodge Cast Iron Collection - HF Weed Burner - ProQ CSG - Super Fast and Accurate White Thermapen - 4 tap homebrew keezer - 10 gallon all grain single tier keggle build
jasonalan724 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-19-2010, 10:19 PM   #2
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 1

As I like to think of it, flavor profiles are a blend of basic spices in a basic ratio that impart a specific signature flavor. I have heard some people speak of flavor profiles in terms of a balance of the 5 basic flavors, sweet, salty, sour, bitter, umami, but honestly I do not think of that as a "flavor profile", because in general everyone is looking for a balance of those flavors when concentrating on that aspect of flavor.

Examples of basic flavor profiles are "French Onion Soup", which could in essence be boiled down to beef bouillon and onion flavor. That is a very primitive example. If you taste many different rubs, you will find there are a few various "flavor profiles" that you cna use in a sense to group them together into similarly flavored categories to a certain degree. That is not to say all rubs follow a finite set of flavor profiles, but you will find groups of them that are very similar because they tend to use the same ingredients between them in similar ratios.

Hope this helps.
Yes, I own a whole bunch of BBQ crap also.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Get your MOINK Certification today!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club member
bigabyte is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-19-2010, 10:21 PM   #3
MilitantSquatter

"Flavor profile" is an overused buzz word/term these days

Too much focus on every little detail can sometimes ruin a good thing...

Last edited by MilitantSquatter; 01-19-2010 at 11:40 PM..
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-19-2010, 10:27 PM   #4
landarc

I view flavor profiles in terms of the 5 basic flavors, but, add the characteristics of known flavors, similar to the worlds of wine and beer. You seek out the familiar when tasting, those 5 basic flavors are a start, but, sweet means a very different thing from milk chocolate, salty is not the same as sea water, so I find that providing both terms to be useful when trying to communicate flavor. I rarely try to communicate the flavor of BBQ in these terms, although, I can see where these terms could be useful in a situation such as this forum.

I think if I received a review of my BBQ and it said the flavor profile was sweet, I would be disappointed, that is not a flavor profile, that is one useless description and not a flavor profile. A flavor profile would be more like, the ribs were sweet with hints of honey and caramel and a backbone of savory spice of black pepper and roasted garlic. That would tell me that they cared about their taste and my feedback.

Whip It Off, Chambers!

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-19-2010, 10:43 PM   #5
bigabyte

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 1

Actually, I think I like landarc's description better.
Yes, I own a whole bunch of BBQ crap also.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Get your MOINK Certification today!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club member
bigabyte is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-20-2010, 12:58 AM   #6
JD McGee

To me it means the proper marriage of smoke, rub, and sauce that will please the judges... It also means cooking regionally...what "flavor profiles" do the folks in KC like as opposed to the folks in Texas...
Northwest BBQ Society
We cook on MAK Grills , Big Poppa Drum Smokers, & WSM's
Proudly sponsored by Big Poppa Smokers, Kosmo's Q, Simply Marvelous BBQ, and MAK Grills
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-20-2010, 01:33 AM   #7
NorthwestBBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post
"Flavor profile" is an overused buzz word/term these days

Too much focus on every little detail can sometimes ruin a good thing...
Word. It is a bunch of double talk:

1. Meaningless speech that consists of nonsense syllables mixed with intelligible words; gibberish.

2. Deliberately ambiguous or evasive language. Also called doublespeak.

You know, sales talk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD McGee View Post
To me it means the proper marriage of smoke, rub, and sauce that will please the judges... It also means cooking regionally...what "flavor profiles" do the folks in KC like as opposed to the folks in Texas...
I thought that's what's called BBQ.

Last edited by NorthwestBBQ; 01-20-2010 at 01:50 AM..
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-20-2010, 02:01 AM   #8
JiveTurkey
is one Smokin' Farker

I had to laugh when watching Worst Cook in America the other night when one of the guys said something about the "flavor profile" of his dish. This dude can't cut an onion but he can tell me about flavor profiles

Flavor profile = what the food tastes like.