The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.


Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.


Reply
Thread Tools
Unread 01-17-2010, 07:09 AM   #1
4TheLoveofBrisket
On the road to being a farker
 
4TheLoveofBrisket's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-11-09
Location: Romulus, Michigan
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default 1st attempt at Tri-Level w/ Dalmation Rub w/ PRON

Doing two briskets today. Picked up two 11 lb 'ish full packers at Wal-Mart. One had a big gash in the flat which I didn't notice until I opened them. Hopefully this doesn't dry that flat out. One is for dinner with the parents, and one to vaccum seal for later. Trying Popdaddy's Tri-Level with Dalmation technique. I've only got PRON for one of them.

Up at 3am. Stoked a fire on the old stickburner: Fuels of Choice? White oak and Mesquite.



De-cryo'ed the Briskets. Here's a shot pre-trim



Trimmed:



Fat side up with a light coat of Bolners "Season It All".





Fat side up with a liberal coat of a no salt rub I threw together. Rub consisted of:

3 Parts Ground Ancho Chili poweder
3 Parts Chili powder
3 Parts Granulated Garlic
3 Parts fresh ground celery seed
3 parts Onion Powder
3 Parts ground mustard seed
3 parts Paprika
2 Parts fresh ground Cumin



Next, a very liberal coating of Dalmation rub, without lemon pepper though. Having a hard time finding a no/low salt version.



After all that work, I found myself extremely famished and hungry so I made some Bean and cheese breakfast tacos:





More pics later....
4TheLoveofBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 01-17-2010, 07:24 AM   #2
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.
 
HeSmellsLikeSmoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-02-07
Location: Warren, Vermont
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Oh man. Looking great so fsr. Gotcher real wood, brisket, dalmation rub and a Big Red sitting handy.

Keep the pron coming.
__________________
Jim - Another transplanted Texan
Former KCBS CBJ

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is online now   Reply With Quote


Unread 01-17-2010, 07:33 AM   #3
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

 
Rich Parker's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-20-09
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Nice! I love the Big Red.

Why did you put on another rub with the dalmation rub?
__________________
WSM and UDS - iBQ'n BBQ Team co-founder TheBBQSuperstore.com sponsored by Deep South Smokers
Rich Parker is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 01-17-2010, 07:44 AM   #4
Phubar
somebody shut me the fark up.

 
Phubar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-24-09
Location: Utrecht,The NetherPharkinglands
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Nice pron!
And I also wanna know why you used another rub with the Dalmatian.
__________________
-TG
-WGA (3)
-UDS (S,M,L)

All fueled by Ecobrasa Coco Briquettes

*Lowland Smokers Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*Lowland Smokers Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is online now   Reply With Quote


Unread 01-17-2010, 07:48 AM   #5
gtsum
is one Smokin' Farker
 
Join Date: 08-30-03
Location: Richmond, VA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

looking good! I like the Big Red pic also..that is some good stuff
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 01-17-2010, 07:48 AM   #6
jasonalan724
Full Fledged Farker

 
Join Date: 11-25-09
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Did you cut the point off of the brisket? Just looks like a flat to me, pics are a little blurry tho.
__________________
Jayber Que BBQ

Do not eat the meat raw or cooked in water, but roast it over the fire… Exodus 12:9

4 UDS' - Rolling Rotis Hog Cooker - Weber Kettle Resuce Collection - ECB - Lodge Cast Iron Collection - HF Weed Burner - ProQ CSG - Super Fast and Accurate White Thermapen - 4 tap homebrew keezer - 10 gallon all grain single tier keggle build
jasonalan724 is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 01-17-2010, 08:59 AM   #7
4TheLoveofBrisket
On the road to being a farker
 
4TheLoveofBrisket's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-11-09
Location: Romulus, Michigan
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Parker View Post
Nice! I love the Big Red.

Why did you put on another rub with the dalmation rub?
That's the technique.. First, you start with light coat of a smaller grain seasoning salt. Then your signature rub (low or no salt, in my case). Then a generous coat of corase grained salt and pepper (aka dalmation rub). Supposed to use a no/low salt coarse lemon pepper too, but alas, I have not found a source yet. This is my first attempt with this technique, so we shall see. I'm putting all my eggs (briskets in this case) in Popdaddy's basket, and hoping he turns them to gold.
4TheLoveofBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 01-17-2010, 09:01 AM   #8
4TheLoveofBrisket
On the road to being a farker
 
4TheLoveofBrisket's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-11-09
Location: Romulus, Michigan
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonalan724 View Post
Did you cut the point off of the brisket? Just looks like a flat to me, pics are a little blurry tho.
Sorry for the blurry pics. This stupid camera I paid good money for doesn't take very good pics without a flash, and the flash was producing even worse pics.

Yes, the point is there. And I agree, it's not very pronounced. Perhaps a small cow, or maybe they over trimmed it at the packer?
4TheLoveofBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 01-17-2010, 09:39 AM   #9
4TheLoveofBrisket
On the road to being a farker
 
4TheLoveofBrisket's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-11-09
Location: Romulus, Michigan
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

6 1/2 hrs into it. Stayed around 220-240 for this time. Going to crank it up to about 275 - 300 for the remainder. It's done when it's done, right?



4TheLoveofBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 01-17-2010, 09:47 AM   #10
EatonHoggBBQ
Babbling Farker
 
Join Date: 11-28-08
Location: Allen Park, Michigan
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

What time is dinner? I think I can smell them cooking all the way over here.
Did you get those briskets at the Belleville Wal-Mart?
__________________
John, KCBS/MCBJ
EatonHoggBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 01-17-2010, 09:57 AM   #11
4TheLoveofBrisket
On the road to being a farker
 
4TheLoveofBrisket's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-11-09
Location: Romulus, Michigan
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatonHoggBBQ View Post
What time is dinner? I think I can smell them cooking all the way over here.
Did you get those briskets at the Belleville Wal-Mart?
Didn't I just say, it's done when it's done? I'm taking a little more relaxed approach this time and not constantly monitoring temps and stressing like I normally do. I'm advising the parents to eat a later lunch, and I'll call them when to head on over. I'm trying for maybe 4 o'clock. But I'm not going to rush things.

I bought these at the Woodhaven store.

Speaking of Walmart, does anyone know how to tell what grade their briskets are? I'm assuming select, but I've read where some people have run across choice. It's not on either of the cryo-vac packs that I had anywhere...
4TheLoveofBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 01-17-2010, 11:28 AM   #12
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker
 
Join Date: 11-11-07
Location: Gone
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

The only thing is as far as temps. for this style and rub 220-240 is a dangerous area to start at but good once they weep or are over the stall.

In hot and fast, its not how fast you get the brisket into the 170 range that matters.... its what happens after. Another rub is another story.

So, I do endorse a ring setting temp of one to two hours of 200-220 degrees. Then crank it to 270 +. Once you hear those briskets drip and sizzle like when popcorn in the microwave is really getting going, THEN you can let it taper down if ya want or not. I either bank my briskets till tender (in piles of a layer of 5 fat down, my most cooked ones in the center fat down (moistening the flats from the bottom row) and the final layer of 5 fat up, protecting the briskets from the high temps while another pile of fresh briskets are put on.

Attachment 35961
Ready to Go

Attachment 35962
The Salt has melted at this point.

One note. If you have read my stuff on Salt Ratios, by NOT using a third ingredients like Lemon Pepper (even the salt kinds as I know its hard to get) you have raised the salt ratio to one to one inadvertently. This may be too salty for you from the looks of it. You can always like I mentioned use any other large grained ingredient or combination but it needs to be a third of your total mix. If you don't simply RUB the exsisting ratio you made which knocks off a lot of extras. When those briskets really weep, they shed off a lot of that salt but in doing so its like a mop almost. In high temp cooking, there is a fogg of grease and meat juices as the outside cooks... with the door closed, smoke goes up while the grease is just to heavy to make it oput of your stacks so it just keeps fizzing round.
__________________
Popdaddy is Dead - 1933-2011 - Pitmaster T is a free agent

Last edited by barbefunkoramaque; 04-03-2011 at 02:32 PM..
barbefunkoramaque is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 01-17-2010, 11:50 AM   #13
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

 
Rich Parker's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-20-09
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4TheLoveofBrisket View Post
That's the technique.. First, you start with light coat of a smaller grain seasoning salt. Then your signature rub (low or no salt, in my case). Then a generous coat of corase grained salt and pepper (aka dalmation rub). Supposed to use a no/low salt coarse lemon pepper too, but alas, I have not found a source yet. This is my first attempt with this technique, so we shall see. I'm putting all my eggs (briskets in this case) in Popdaddy's basket, and hoping he turns them to gold.
Ah very interesting!

Looking forward to the finished pics.

Edit: Link to no salt lemon pepper
McCormick No Salt Lemon Pepper
__________________
WSM and UDS - iBQ'n BBQ Team co-founder TheBBQSuperstore.com sponsored by Deep South Smokers
Rich Parker is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 01-17-2010, 12:02 PM   #14
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker
 
Join Date: 11-11-07
Location: Gone
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

You can also tweak it a bit my using the regular Lemmon Pepper at sams that has salt in it. I had to shift to this because my Church will only deal with sams. I like the Sams Lemon Pepper top because its grainy and matches the size of the koshure and pepper I use. Thsi ensures it all gets on the meat.

Using Montreal when my rub was the Atomic Dog Rub or Smokin Stuff, I used less salt too. So, I guess, though I stated with no salt lemon pepper, the mix was 1/3 salt. Now that I have gone to the Damatian I knocked th salt down to maybe about 1/4th. Thats another reason my color is differnt in my videos.

Popdaddy
__________________
Popdaddy is Dead - 1933-2011 - Pitmaster T is a free agent
barbefunkoramaque is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 01-17-2010, 12:11 PM   #15
4TheLoveofBrisket
On the road to being a farker
 
4TheLoveofBrisket's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-11-09
Location: Romulus, Michigan
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
The only thing is as far as temps. for this style and rub 220-240 is a dangerous area to start at but good once they weep or are over the stall.

In hot and fast, its not how fast you get the brisket into the 170 range that matters.... its what happens after. Another rub is another story.

So, I do endorse a ring setting temp of one to two hours of 200-220 degrees. Then crank it to 270 +. Once you hear those briskets drip and sizzle like when popcorn in the microwave is really getting going, THEN you can let it taper down if ya want or not. I either bank my briskets till tender (in piles of a layer of 5 fat down, my most cooked ones in the center fat down (moistening the flats from the bottom row) and the final layer of 5 fat up, protecting the briskets from the high temps while another pile of fresh briskets are put on.

Attachment 35961
Ready to Go

Attachment 35962
The Salt has melted at this point.

One note. If you have read my stuff on Salt Ratios, by NOT using a third ingredients like Lemon Pepper (even the salt kinds as I know its hard to get) you have raised the salt ratio to one to one inadvertently. This may be too salty for you from the looks of it. You can always like I mentioned use any other large grained ingredient or combination but it needs to be a third of your total mix. If you don't simply RUB the exsisting ratio you made which knocks off a lot of extras. When those briskets really weep, they shed off a lot of that salt but in doing so its like a mop almost. In high temp cooking, there is a fogg of grease and meat juices as the outside cooks... with the door closed, smoke goes up while the grease is just to heavy to make it oput of your stacks so it just keeps fizzing round.
Doh! I forgot about the fact that the third ingredient (lemon pepper) cuts the salt. But I'm confident. I couldn't resist, and sliced off a little piece earlier, and it wasn't too salty. And the taste was excellent. So, while I did make a few mistakes with the process overall, I 'think' I'm still going to turn out a better product than I have before. But, I'm only at half time, so we'll see how the game ends.

Thanks for your input barbefunkoramaque, without all your knowledge I wouldn't even know about this dalmation technique.

Currently sitting around 165 ish.... I'm going to take a less exact approach this time and wait until just before the flat is probe tender and wrap and rest in the cooler. Not even going to take a real temp reading in the end, I'm just going to go by feel. I think taking temp readings makes me paranoid and react too quickly when I'm down to the end of the cook. Perhaps I'm getting a little cocky here, so we shall see.
4TheLoveofBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote


Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My 1st attempt at wings...w/ pron tasterner Q-talk 26 07-20-2011 07:15 AM
Question About Dalmation Rub 4TheLoveofBrisket Q-talk 11 12-29-2010 07:21 PM
My 1st Attempt at Pron Dylan's Dad Q-talk 19 04-21-2010 11:35 AM
tri-level rub, no foil in comps....how'd u do? Three porks Competition BBQ 12 02-12-2010 08:45 PM
1st attempt at smoking (PRON) Rooster Q-talk 24 06-25-2008 08:06 PM

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Loading



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.
no new posts