The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 01-15-2010, 11:06 AM   #1
JohnJ
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Cheap Offset Smoker Hints and Tricks

After asking for hints and tricks from SmokinAussie in his bacon thread on his use of an offset smoker, I got smart and STFed (Searched the Forum) for other links on this type of smoker! WOW! I thought I had done some mods, but a whole slew of other stuff came up with links to computerized blower motors to simple smoker baskets.

I think I answered my own please for help. But SirPorkaLot stated he has not mods and makes his COS sing!

So, thought I'd start a new thread and hints and tricks for the Cheap Offset Smoker.

Here are some good links here in the Brethren forums to get us going again. Time to clear some snow, get a welders blanket out and smoke some flesh!

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=76079
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=56577
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=75060
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=65535

Do a search for Char griller or char smoker.

Anywho... I still have not mastered my lousy thing but I have been getting close over the past several years. So... any other hints, tips, mods and tricks would be really appreciated!

John
JohnJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-15-2010, 11:42 AM   #2
SirPorkaLot
Babbling Farker

Uploads: 1

I do in fact have a COS that can sing.
It is a Brinkmann SnP Pro
Seen here getting up to temp. waiting for the blue smoke. While my BBQ dog is waiting for the finale.

Here it is with two picnics in it.
Notice I have a cheapo oven thermo on the grate to monitor ambient temps at grate level.

Here is a shot of the fuel method I use:
Base of Kingsford charcoal started in chimney, once ready i put in the middle of some unlit charcoal mixed with unlit lump, and then i put a log on top.

At first there will be some white smoke (from the log and unlit charcoal) once that white smoke eases off, you are ready to put your meat on.

This is 6-7 hours into the cook

The only mod on mine, is I extended the exhaust pipe below the grate to give a better flow path to the smoke.
I always keep my exhaust vent wide open, and the firebox vent almost closed.
If it is cold outside I will wrap the cook chamber in a welding blanket.

It will hold steady 225 temps. (at grate level) for several hours without interference from me, as long as it is not real windy. If it gets to too windy,there is not a lot I have found that helps - so i go to the weber kettle or performer.

Hope that helps

Back to back winner of the BBQ Brethren Throwdown with a pig leg and something funky
CBBQA & KCBS member: Sir Porkalot BBQ Team
NC & NorCal (Yes I stay confused)
BLUE Thermapen
Visit my website: http://www.sirporkalot.com

Last edited by SirPorkaLot; 01-15-2010 at 11:43 AM.. Reason: forgot to add lump
SirPorkaLot is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-16-2010, 03:40 AM   #3
SmokinAussie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

OK, thanks to JohnJ.

I'm glad that my post has generated some questions and a new thread.

I've made no mods to my COS. I've really been on my own because nobody around here has got anything like it. Yes, people have Webbers and such, but I've never seen one used properly. For most Aussies, a BBQ is a big grill with direct heat, end of story..

But not for me.

The main issue for me is that Aussies all use propane, or what we call, "Heat Beads" in a Webber. If not heat beads, then you use wood, and wood usually means a eucalytus of some sort and this wood is not fragrant. I can get "proper" charcoal if I have to have it.

Anyway, my main issue is the Creosote, as previously identified, and this is made worse from the wood I have to use.

When I am doing a big Q on the COS, I've learnt to cover the food for most of the time with Al Foil, and only uncover when I've got some nice charcoal going and I can add some water / wine soaked chips of hickory, pecan, oak..etc which I can get from BBQ's galore at crazy prices.

I also run 3 temp units. I constantly check and rotate to ensure that all the Q is evenly cooked now knowing where the hot and cold parts of the smoker box are.

No, it's almost impossible to walk away and leave it for any great length of time, but it gives me the opportunity to sit out the back and ingest copious quantities of beer while waiting for the Q to be ready.

Hope this helps...

Bill
Just remember... the standard has gone up. You Americans are getting good at LAMB!

IMBAS Certified MOINK BALLER (NOSKOS RULE)
"Bullet Bill" WSM
"Blue Lou" Performer
Too many other bits of BBQ Gear to count!

SmokinAussie is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-16-2010, 10:55 AM   #4
JohnJ
On the road to being a farker

It is interesting that both SmokinAusie and SirPorkaLot have done few if any mods to their COS!

From all the links and research mods are the way to go. I can understand bringing the exhaust lower to the grill, I think, but raising the fire I cannot figure out.

Having an abundance of mesquite in Arizona, I like to use that but it is a heavy smoke flavor and foiling has been one of my saviors and I too have a tendency to creosote my meat. It is always way too hot by the firebox even with a baffle.

Thanks for the thoughts and I am sure open to any more ideas!

John
JohnJ is offline   Reply With Quote