My Maiden Voyage into the World of Smoke

J

jrd

Well Guys,

I am still in the process of messing around with my UDS build and I decided to go to Menards and pick up a smoker and get busy smoking some meat. I picked up one of these:

char-griller.jpg

I have done some reading on these and have made a few mods to it.

I am going to season it tonight, and do my first ever smoke tomorrow. :icon_shock1: I am so looking forward to this!

I am thinking for my first smoking experience I would like to try pulled pork. I am looking for some ideas for a rub, and any other last minute instructions would be greatly appreciated! I have watched some vids on youtube, and I have read a lot on this forum. So I think I have a basic idea of what to do.

I am going to have some guests over for dinner tomorrow night and I don't want to blow this. If you have a fool proof rub and cooking method for melt in your mouth pulled pork, I am all ears.

Thanks!
John

If you have a fool proof rub and cooking method for melt in your mouth pulled pork, I am all ears.

Thanks!
John

All i can recommend is practice practice practice.

Read as much as you can on this forum, this is a ton of info here, but as far as a fool proof method? I don't know of one.

I have been smoking for a few years, and I still manage to screw up a good piece of meat upon occasion.

DO check out the KCquers ROADMAP to the QTALK Forum: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7818

and if you haven't done so already, head on over to the cattle call and introduce yourself.

Welcome to the wide world of smoke!

The problem with pulled pork....it's done when it's done, period. Unless you have done a bunch of these timing could be dicy. I would think ribs or even chicken would be easier for your first foray on your new smoker.

JMHO..........

Paul B
SS UDS

we use one of those, build urself a charcoal basket that basically sits at grate level and you'll have much better success at getting up to and maintaing temps.

I have the same smoker, although I don't remember it ever being so clean. I never modified mine at all, works pretty good. In fact I seem to have the opposite trouble most people have. I have a hard time keeping the temp low enough.

one last thing, especially if you want to be accurate with ur temps, get a good quality digital thermo and keep it at GRATE level, im with nicerack...the one in the lid SUCKS

Check your weather in WI and if its going to be cold (read below 40) go to Harbor Freight, find a high degree rated welding blanket, and use it on your smoker to help hold in heat (just don't place it on the firebox, it will burn)

I do have one of these: Maverick ET73 Redi-Chek Wireless Remote Smoker Thermometer

gng-et-73smokealertSmall.jpg

Also I have these coming to add to the lid on both sides of the cooking chamber:

!BiTp4IgB2k~$(KGrHqIH-EQEsKzFdm7kBLOQ2pRKLg~~_35.JPG

Thanks for all the help and suggestions!

John
Maverick ET73 Redi-Chek Wireless
Remote Smoker Thermometer

Maverick ET73 Redi-Chek Wireless
Remote Smoker Thermometer

Regarding fool proof rubs: Less is more. Not less volume; less ingredients. The
more stuff you add in to it, the more likely the next ingredient will foul the thing.

Black pepper with a little salt is simple and pretty fool proof. However, if you add
some chili powder, perhaps a little paprika. Getting fancy, a tiny amount of garlic
powder, perhaps a tiny amount of onion powder. You're going to be working with heat
control, so I wouldn't get sugars involved yet. KISS: Keep It Simple Silly
Many chili powders will have some garlic powder and/or cumin in them, so I wouldn't
really add alot of these (garlic powder, cumin, etc) at first. Then, practice,
practice, practice.

Keep the temps as close to 250 (surface temperature) as possible without going over
260 (surface temps). 245 is a great temp. Buy one of those $4 Wallyworld oven
thermometers that sit on the shelf. You'll be able to see the difference in your
outside temperature gauge vs. the surface temps. It's surface temps that matter.
For example, on my big ole Lang, with where the outside therm is on the cooker,
210 on it is a 240-250 surface temp. So, I dial in at 210 (on the outside therm).
I know this because I have multiple surface thermometers and looking forward to
purchasing my next 2 ET73's...

If you have the temps dialed in correctly and are managing the fire right, resist the
urge to open the smoker. The less open the better.

I suggest, for your protection, to cover the butts in foil at about 5 hours or so. This
will help reduce the creosote and keep the juices in. When you foil them, if you can,
spray them down with a little apple juice (perhaps mix in a little worchestershire).
Moisture, flavor, and juice helps break down the fat.

Smoke: DONT soak your wood and dont put water on it. Not too much wood to
cover your charcoals; only a little will work great. If you smother the fire, you'll
end up with ugly white smoke coming out and a creosote laiden piece of meat.
Nasty. You'll notice that as you add a piece/chunck of wood every now and again
you'll get a little white smoke; that's normal. However, within a minute or so it'll
go to that wonderful "sweet blue" we all so desire.

Best of luck!

-The Dawg

I am of the belief that if you are learning to smoke, the first thing is learn your smoker. Learn to control the temps and the smoke. I would go with either just salt and pepper or a commercial rub that you know will produce a good product. There are a lot of them out there. For pork and chicken, you won't go wrong with Yardbird, Dizzy Pig or a 50/50 of Lawry's seasoned salt and medium grind black pepper.

Brother I'm hoping you learn temperature control tonight 'cause you're going to need it tomorrow! Temperature swings on a new pit are to be expected, the skill helps in keeping the highs and lows not too high or too low. I'd do these three things right away:

1. Buy a decent temperature probe and find within this forum the target temperature for your piece of pig.
  2. Keep the meat far from the fire box. Too close to the fire = doom.
  3. Don't worry TOO much about temperature swings unless your fire goes out or you're crossing 350° or so. They will even out to a degree (pun intended). OK, four things.
  4. Plan to finish the meat early in case it's not done when guests arrive. If it's done to your satisfaction early, wrap it in foil and cooler it while you await your guests. If you're late...
Best of luck and don't forget to tell us how it went - even if it sucks!

Arlin

I would add to also throw some chicken in the smoker to have it as a backup if the butt cook doesn't go as planned. You got more guts than me to cook for a group on a new smoker! Good luck, have fun!

Going back to what I said earlier, then the next 3 guys (landarc, arlin, and jive), what
we all said. Very courageous having guests on the first smoke... VERY. Even after
researching and blah blah my first butt lacked a LOT to be desired... Perhaps buy a
few steaks for the grill, just in case... ;-)

Seriously, most first run throughs aren't very successful. You're learning your smoker,
heat management (preventing dips and spikes) on your smoker, and then the smoke
itself.

And don't forget to take pics. Lots and lots of pics!

Good luck with your new cooker. I love to hear about a new stick burner getting seasoned for use.

Going back to what I said earlier, then the next 3 guys (landarc, arlin, and jive), what
we all said. Very courageous having guests on the first smoke... VERY. Even after
researching and blah blah my first butt lacked a LOT to be desired... Perhaps buy a
few steaks for the grill, just in case... ;-)

Seriously, most first run throughs aren't very successful. You're learning your smoker,
heat management (preventing dips and spikes) on your smoker, and then the smoke
itself.

Just your first butt? :mrgreen:

My first half a dozen left a lot to be desired. i would get lucky every now & then and get a good one. Slowly but surely I have switched that around to where I can produce fairly consistent Q, but as I said earlier.. I still manage to screw up a perfectly good piece of meat every now & then.

Go for it! We're all here to help you. Of course we may laugh a little too! Make sure you have some cash for "take out" just in case.

Back