The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 01-11-2010, 04:09 PM   #1
Boat-n-BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Simple noob question?

Hey all,

Iím a noob thatís trying hard to get my act together for my 1st comp. I have read the KCBS rules, but they donít answer my questions. I have two questions about the food inspection upon arrival. Any assistance would really be appreciated.
1. I know we canít season or treat the meat, but can we trim and prep? The chicken is my main concern. Iíd really like to do all that trim work before we get there.
2. I read some of Dr BBQís older brisket posts and Iím trying his 50 day wet aging process in our 2nd refrigerator. If I show up with a brisket 6 weeks past the sell date will they pass it?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Boat

2 Bubba Keg Convection Grills
4 Big Steel Kegs
w/BBQGuru DigiQ's
KCBS/CBJ
Boat-n-BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-11-2010, 04:14 PM   #2
Capn Kev
is one Smokin' Farker

Yes you can pre-trim, but make sure you save the original packaging to prove where the meat came from.

Also, yes, you can wet-age your brisket past the "sell-by" date. I suggest having a spare brisket, just in case your aging process goes awry. <---you'll know when you open and smell it.
Capn Kev is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-11-2010, 04:45 PM   #3
CivilWarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

No KCBS meat inspector in Georgia should ever ask to see labels. I've heard stories of this from other parts of the country and sanctioning bodies, but since Fred Gould directly or indirectly trained just about every meat inspector in Dixie you won't see it here.

As C K says, go ahead and trim. As long as you don't season in any way and keep your meat on ice you are good to go.
CivilWarBBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-11-2010, 04:54 PM   #4
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

50 days? Ya might want to have another 30-35 day packer on standby. 50 days is a bit more of a push then I'd risk without having another.

My team is my brother and I - I'm in charge of chicken and pork. I always make sure I have my chicken trimmed before I leave the house. I don't mind trimming the pork butts on sight as they go fast.

If I cooked all 4 meats personally, I'd have chicken and briskets trimmed before leaving the house. Ribs - if doing spares, I'd definitely have them trimmed to St. Louis cut. Babys - might depend event to event based on time.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-11-2010, 05:20 PM   #5
watertowerbbq
is One Chatty Farker

The more trimming you can do at home, the easier it will be for you. It's always easier to do it in your kitchen than it is standing in a parking lot or a field under a pop-up canopy, especially if mother nature doesn't cooperate.
BWS Competitor (sold 2012)
WSM - 18.5" - 2009 (sold 2011)
WSM - 18.5" - 2004 (sold 2010)
Superfast Orange Thermopen
KCBS CBJ, Railroad Detective
watertowerbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-11-2010, 06:20 PM   #6
Boat-n-BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by watertowerbbq View Post
The more trimming you can do at home, the easier it will be for you. It's always easier to do it in your kitchen than it is standing in a parking lot or a field under a pop-up canopy, especially if mother nature doesn't cooperate.
Yes, this is the exact reason for my question! Being new to the process I want to keep the on site work to a minimum and focus on only what is necessary.

Matt, KC Bobby, CivilWar and Kev thanks all for your responses!

Boat

2 Bubba Keg Convection Grills
4 Big Steel Kegs
w/BBQGuru DigiQ's
KCBS/CBJ
Boat-n-BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote