Pork

Capn Kev

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I've been doing some test runs using a new injection on my pork. The pork has turned out unbelievably moist, tender, and flavorful. The problem I consistently have is with the money muscle. I try to gently remove it from the rest of the roast, but it frequently falls apart, and is almost impossible to slice. Am I overcooking it? I've been foiling at 165, and taking the meat off to rest at 200. Do you recommend resting earlier in the process?

Also, where do you find pork shoulders like those I've seen on Pitmasters? Looking at Tuffy's money muscle the other night makes me believe I'm getting some dwarf pig meat! :redface:

P.S. - please don't mention to my wife that I was looking at Tuffy's money muscle! :lol:

-Kev

Kev,

There is a big difference between 185' to 200'. What I am saying is there is a difference between what I cook Butt between Sliced and Pulled. I recomend that you lower your internal temp down to 190' and make sure you check the "Money Muscle" temp along with ceter mass internal temp.

There is a difference between serving mush and large chunks that are very juicy and tender.

Good Luck....

The other thing that some cooks do is that they cook two butts. One they remove at a lower temp to process the money muscile and the other they use for pulling...

Just remember, you didn't hear it from me.

Tuffy gets the perk of having a resteraunt - he can go through a lot of butts to find the ones he want to use for a competition.

I believe that the money muscle is located just at about the point where the picnic and the butt are cut from one another. Therefore, to get the maximum size money muscle, you need to cook a full shoulder. Can anyone else confirm this?

The other thing that some cooks do is that they cook two butts. One they remove at a lower temp to process the money muscile and the other they use for pulling...

Just remember, you didn't hear it from me.

Another pitmaster secret. :cool:

Back