The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 01-09-2010, 09:11 PM   #1
Alan in Ga
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Vertical vs Offset

High guys I am new to the forum and this will be my first year cooking in competetion. My first comp will be in July provided I get all my ducks in a row. I am in the market rig and looking at a 250 gal reverse flow offset.I am also close to Stumps smokers and see his units used in alot of GBA events. My wife and I are judges in the GBA so we see all the teams. Is there any advantage to a vertical opposed to offset or is it personal choice. thanks Alan www.57smokehouse.blogspot.com/
Alan in Ga is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-09-2010, 10:31 PM   #2
BigJimsBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Hello Alan,

I have been using my Lang (Horizontal) for 3 years and Love the smoker. Ben Lang is South of you in GA, almost to the FL boarder.

There are many choices, and many features for each smoker type and manufacturer. You mentioned Stump Smokers and I know many people that also Love these smokers and win. The Lang is a Log Burner that requires maintaining the fire and the Stump has a gravity feed charcoal shute that allows you to start it and go to sleep.

The bottom line is getting the smoker that fits you for comp cooking that you can afford.

Good Luck.

Unread 01-09-2010, 10:54 PM   #3
Rhapsody
Knows what a fatty is.

I find that both have their advantages. The ideal situation would be something that combines both.
Rhapsody is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-10-2010, 09:03 AM   #4
crd26a
Full Fledged Farker

Alan
My comp teammate and I recently picked up two Superios Smokers SS-2's (veritcals). I was wanting a new smoker and I looked at a LOT of cookers, Klose, Gator, Pits by JJ, Horizon, Yoder, Stumps, Superior, DW Kountry Cookers, etc.

My choice was veritcal - less fuel consumption, less baby sitting, insulated (I fired it up here in KC in 7 degrees yesterday with half a chimney of briquettes, was at 300 in an hour), and can have a stoker / guru placed on it pretty eash to mind temps.

For the vertical, they're three main manufacturers, Stumps, Superior and DW Kountry Cookers. There is history between the three owners, and a lot of people could chime in on it, but there were reasons we chose Superior. First was having the firebox on the back vs. the side - this lets the door open all the way vs. stoping half way on a Stumps. Second, space between shelves. Stumps runs 3 inch spacing, Superior is closer to 5-6. Big difference getting things in and off shelves. Third, we really like the removeable grease deflector and how its setup.

Let me know if you've got any question, I'll be happy to answer them

Unread 01-10-2010, 09:06 AM   #5
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Alan, first, welcome. Something tells me that we'll run into one another here n
there. The comp you're referring to would be the GON cookoff, yes? We missed it
last year, darn it. RGC the year before...

Being from around here, you're probably referencing Bubba Grills 250R. I can tell
you, Lonnie makes a great smoker. You'll want to also look at Lang smokers (from
middle/south GA). They're 2 of the best offset reverse flow cookers out there
at reasonable prices. They're slightly different; you'll want to decide which one
you like best. Lang can be found at pigroast.com.

Unread 01-10-2010, 09:25 AM   #6
Pig Headed
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by crd26a View Post
Alan

Stumps runs 3 inch spacing, Superior is closer to 5-6. Big difference getting things in and off shelves. Third, we really like the removeable grease deflector and how its setup.

All of the verticles mentioned above are good units. Stumps Stretch model, which I just ordered has 7" spacing between shelves. Do your homework before you make a decision and if possible, go to a comp and look at the units in use. You can't go wrong with any of them. As you can probably tell, I'm partial to verticles.

Pigheaded BBQ Team
www.pigheadedbbq.com
KCBS CBJ

Stumps Stretch (Raquel) Eagles Green.
1 -22" Weber WSM, 1 - 18"Weber WSM's
2 - 22" kettles
6x12 Haulmark Trailer
Pig Headed is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-10-2010, 03:40 PM   #7
crd26a
Full Fledged Farker

Ron is correct, the new Strech does have the space between shelves, but for what we could haul with, size of the width was an issue. Stumps makes a great smoker, w/o a doubt

Unread 01-10-2010, 09:16 PM   #8
Fat Daddy's Franks
Got Wood.

Ron,

How is your verticle working out? I use two UDS's and a 18" WSM noticed that for your comps you were using mainly WSM's. Do verticles maintain heat like a WSM? I have an offset as well but much to much work over the verticles.

We are looking to enter a few comps in CA this year and I am considering either an American BBQ Systems Pit-Boss or one of the verticles (they look very tempting).

I've never seen one in action so this may be a silly question to some but am I understanding correctly that to add "smoke wood" you put it in from the back under the coal chute (the little door with the valve)?

Thanks and I hope this thread isn't dead....
Fat Daddy's Franks is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-10-2010, 10:28 PM   #9
crd26a
Full Fledged Farker

I'll chime in and let Ron come in behind with anything further. The veritcal's will maintain heat better than the WSM - they're an insulated cooker. Mine (a Superior) has 2" of insulation between the interior and exterior skins of metal. This helps make them very efficient, around 1 lb of briquettes per hour. For mine, when adding wood, I'll knock the grate the charcoal sits on, get all the ash out I can, dump the ash, then throw in wood in the ash pan. Within minutes the wood is smoldering letting off the smoke.

The ABS systems are a nice smoker (they're built in the town I live in) and I considered them as well. I wouldn't anticipate nearly the amount of efficiency from a fuel consumption standpoint, but can produce some great BBQ.

Unread 01-11-2010, 08:17 AM   #10
Pig Headed
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Daddy's Franks View Post
Ron,

How is your verticle working out? I use two UDS's and a 18" WSM noticed that for your comps you were using mainly WSM's. Do verticles maintain heat like a WSM? I have an offset as well but much to much work over the verticles.

We are looking to enter a few comps in CA this year and I am considering either an American BBQ Systems Pit-Boss or one of the verticles (they look very tempting).

I've never seen one in action so this may be a silly question to some but am I understanding correctly that to add "smoke wood" you put it in from the back under the coal chute (the little door with the valve)?

Thanks and I hope this thread isn't dead....
I don't have my verticle yet, it's on order. I do currently use 3 WSM's which have served me well, but I wanted larger capacity so I ordered the Stumps Stretch. The method mentioned above is pretty much the way the wood is added as I understand it.

Pigheaded BBQ Team
www.pigheadedbbq.com
KCBS CBJ

Stumps Stretch (Raquel) Eagles Green.
1 -22" Weber WSM, 1 - 18"Weber WSM's
2 - 22" kettles
6x12 Haulmark Trailer
Pig Headed is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-11-2010, 09:50 AM   #11
TN_BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I prefer the smaller footprint of the vertical smoker.

Unread 01-11-2010, 09:55 AM   #12
FatBoyz
is one Smokin' Farker

you might want to look at R.J. cookers as well i lover mine should never have sold it

Unread 01-11-2010, 10:50 AM   #13
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimsBBQ View Post
Hello Alan,

I have been using my Lang (Horizontal) for 3 years and Love the smoker. Ben Lang is South of you in GA, almost to the FL boarder.

There are many choices, and many features for each smoker type and manufacturer. You mentioned Stump Smokers and I know many people that also Love these smokers and win. The Lang is a Log Burner that requires maintaining the fire and the Stump has a gravity feed charcoal shute that allows you to start it and go to sleep.

The bottom line is getting the smoker that fits you for comp cooking that you can afford.

Good Luck.
I've had my Lang for almost 3 years as well and wouldn't let her go for almost any money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd26a View Post
Alan
My comp teammate and I recently picked up two Superios Smokers SS-2's (veritcals). I was wanting a new smoker and I looked at a LOT of cookers, Klose, Gator, Pits by JJ, Horizon, Yoder, Stumps, Superior, DW Kountry Cookers, etc.

My choice was veritcal - less fuel consumption, less baby sitting, insulated (I fired it up here in KC in 7 degrees yesterday with half a chimney of briquettes, was at 300 in an hour), and can have a stoker / guru placed on it pretty eash to mind temps.

For the vertical, they're three main manufacturers, Stumps, Superior and DW Kountry Cookers. There is history between the three owners, and a lot of people could chime in on it, but there were reasons we chose Superior. First was having the firebox on the back vs. the side - this lets the door open all the way vs. stoping half way on a Stumps. Second, space between shelves. Stumps runs 3 inch spacing, Superior is closer to 5-6. Big difference getting things in and off shelves. Third, we really like the removeable grease deflector and how its setup.

With the simple addition of a blanket, you can accomplish the same thing on a Lang.

Being in Chicago and cooking year round, we often cook in cold weather. In fact with the moving blanket on mine, we did a cook in -17* windchill and only had to feed her every 2 - 2 1/2 hours and she was keeping temps within 5* from end to end.
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-11-2010, 11:48 AM   #14
Dale in GA
On the road to being a farker

Divemaster, intrigued by your use of a blanket on the stickburner. Is it a standard blanket (safety issues?) or insulated similar to hot water heater blanket? I know that you wouldn't put over firebox but it sounds like it might be a good way to boost efficiency regardless of weather?

Unread 01-11-2010, 12:41 PM   #15
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale in GA View Post
Divemaster, intrigued by your use of a blanket on the stickburner. Is it a standard blanket (safety issues?) or insulated similar to hot water heater blanket? I know that you wouldn't put over firebox but it sounds like it might be a good way to boost efficiency regardless of weather?
Hopefully Divemaster will answer, however, I believe he uses a
welders insulated blanket.