The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 01-02-2010, 10:56 PM   #1
Cazador
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default First BGE Butts for New Year’s Day W/ PRON

First I want to thank the Brethren for helping me through my first long smoke on my new Big Green Egg. If you missed it, here’s the thread.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=75196

Here are the butts still in the pack.

Here’s what I started out with.

The Sal and Judy’s was an “experiment”. I had never injected a butt, and had never used the S&J for anything else. It had a sweet Cajun flavor, not bad but I don’t know that I’ll look for it again. My wife said it was okay, but she’d prefer if I could get my rub seasoning on the inside of the meat. I’m taking that as my next challenge!

I injected one butt with the S&J while it was still in the pack, and then decided to use the whole bottle.

I then mixed up my rub and rubbed the other one generously and put what was left of the rub on the injected butt.

Now it’s time to play with fire! I loaded up the Egg with oak lump with some hickory chunks mixed in, and I had some apple chips soaking to throw on with the meat. I fired up the BGE and let it get too hot right off the bat! I shut it down to cool off and then brought it back up to 240 and held it there for about an hour. So far so good, time to put on the meat.

After the temp came back up and stabilized at about 240 I felt it was good to go, for us to go that is! Off to the New Year’s party! We got home about 2:00 and I checked the temp, it had dropped to about 190 after 5 hours, not too bad I thought. I ran it up to about 225 and had it where I thought it was steady for about 40 minutes or so. Time to hit the sack. I was up at 7:00 to check it again and was surprised when I saw the temp at about 140. I opened the vents up and it struggled a little to get over 200 but once it did it was good to go. I had it at about 250 for about another 2 hours. At this point the rubbed butt was at 160 and the injected butt was at 185.

I foiled them and bumped the temp to about 275 until I had to take them off the pit, which was about an hour and a half more; I actually pulled the injected one off about 30 minutes before the other one. When I pulled them the injected was at 195 and the other was at 188. I wrapped them in towels and dropped them in a small cooler where they would stay for about 2 hours. Off we went to my in-laws.

When it was time to eat I pulled them out and unwrapped them. If I say so myself... it was pure goodness!

Both came apart in chucks with ease and the bones pulled clean. We weren’t going for pulled pork, but I’m sure I could’ve done it.

Both were really good, but the crowd favorite was the butt with just the rub. All in all I think everyone was happy with them, I know I was! Sorry I don’t have a pic of the serving platter, I guess we were too ready to eat to think about that pic!

Ron L, I did manage to keep Mr. Murphy away, but he was knocking on the door! The only big problem was self-imposed... never use your wife’s good air-bake cake pan for a drip pan!

Again, thanks for the help and I wish you all a smokin’ New Year!
Cazador is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-03-2010, 12:55 AM   #2
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Great looking butttisimo.
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-03-2010, 01:15 AM   #3
BBQ Grail

Nice butts...

The best way to reach me is with email: larry@thebbqgrail.com
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-03-2010, 01:22 AM   #4
BobBrisket

Those look buttiful!! I'd hit some of each!
UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker-Courtesy of Poobah, WSM, 22.5 Weber Kettles-K and DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver B, Lil' Chief Smoker, Lodge Sportman Grill, Backyard Fire Pit, Dutch Ovens, Discada Set Up!
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver

My BEST Compliment......"You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son.
Git Smokin, Dan!
BobBrisket is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-03-2010, 07:47 AM   #5
EatonHoggBBQ
Babbling Farker

Glad it worked out for you. Nice job.

Unread 01-03-2010, 07:53 AM   #6
aquablue22
Babbling Farker

Nice looking butts.........
2 - 18.5 Weber Kettle
2 - Super FAST, Super ACCURATE Green Thermapen1 splashproof)

"A good friend will come and bail you out of jail, your best friend will be sitting right beside you on the bench saying "What a Ride!" WooHoo
aquablue22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-03-2010, 08:32 AM   #7
Phubar

Butt-a-licious!!!

All fueled by Ecobrasa Coco Briquettes

*Lowland Smokers Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*Lowland Smokers Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-03-2010, 08:54 AM   #8
TinCup
On the road to being a farker

I love a nice ass.
Blue Thermapen[/COLOR]
TinCup is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-03-2010, 09:22 AM   #9
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I love butts!

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Finally got my dream cooker, Runaround Sue.

Team Whosoever Q

If a man looks lustfully at eggs and bacon, he has already committed breakfast in his heart.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-03-2010, 10:56 PM   #10
Cazador
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Thanks for the compliments. I think I'm going to like cooking on this thing. I must admit, I was skeptical about it when I first saw them. A friend of mine has one and I used to give him a hard time about not making "real Texas BBQ" in something that looked like that, but that didn't stop me from enjoying whatever came off of it!
Cazador is offline   Reply With Quote