The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 03-22-2010, 05:57 AM   #31
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

A lot of new guys checking in on this thread.

I saw it at Lowe's this weekend and it really doesn't look as good as an Egg to me, although I'm a little biased. The ceramic had more of a porous look, but this is just my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabaxter View Post
One showed up for the first time last month at Lowes. I thought it looked as good as a big green egg. Same design as best as I could tell. I think the price was $699 with cart included.
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-22-2010, 07:40 AM   #32
Rick's Tropical Delight
** Permanent Timeout **

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtonp View Post
Are they made in the usa? so I can be proud to own one? I've looked and they seem to be a great value for my hard earned buck.
hey, did you know the big green egg spring assist band, nest cart, and eggmate side shelves are made in the usa in rural wisconsin? and that the big green egg company is headquartered outside atlanta, georgia?
Rick's Tropical Delight is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-22-2010, 09:27 AM   #33
Jet2
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJP View Post
http://www.bayouclassicstore.com/Charcoal%20Grills/500-515.html

$774.95

For that price why wouldn't I just get a large big green egg?
Did you notice that included shipping, cover, nest and side shelves?

Also, here's a link to the another site:

http://bayouclassicdepot.com/index.htm

22.5 WSM
Weber Smoky Joe
Hathorn Pit
Strabulestone gasser
UDS in progress
Orion Cooker (It looked great in the pictures!)
Gator Pit Bandit (When I need to use it)

Last edited by Jet2; 03-22-2010 at 09:42 AM..
Jet2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-22-2010, 10:01 AM   #34
Garyclaw
Babbling Farker

^^^^^^^looks pretty nice to me. I think it could give the BGE a run for it's $. Would love to see one in person. I love those pizzas you guys turn out on your BGEs.

Big BarBChef built in to the Outdoor Kitchen, Weber kettle, 1 UDS, Little Chief Electric, 2 Propane Fish Cookers/Turkey Fryers,
a swinging grate over my Fire pit, Big Pig Cooker, SJS.

"Nice talkin' to ya"
Garyclaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-30-2010, 08:37 PM   #35
AJP
Full Fledged Farker

Well I broke down and bought one today. Paid $499 for it. I will get it uncrated and assembled tomorrow and post a few pics. I look forward to many years of use out of it. My question is do I need to do anything special to break it in.

Unread 03-31-2010, 11:36 AM   #36
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Orscheln has it for $500? Does that include stand, cover, etc? I may have to make a detour next time I drive to St. Louis or Louisville....

dmp
dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-31-2010, 05:46 PM   #37
AJP
Full Fledged Farker

Yes $500 is the grill, stand, side tables, and a cover. Oh and a wiggle rod :)

Sadly once I uncrated mine it had a gouge in the glazing and I had to take it back. No more in stock so I guess I'm going to a different one this weekend.

Unread 04-21-2010, 01:55 PM   #38
Freaky Tiki
Got rid of the matchlight.

I just purchased one of these at Lowes. This is my first kamado-style cooker, so I'm still getting the hang of it. The first time I fired it up, I heard a startling "bang" toward the end of cooking. I presumed it was the fire bowl cracking, as I understand is expected. The next day I checked it, and, indeed the bowl was cracked. I also noted with some concern that there was a crack in the base of the bottom of the cooker.

The next time I used the grill it performed fine, but the next day I saw that the crack on the bottom had jumped the damper door and run up the side of the cooker. I contacted the manufacturer and they asked me to e-mail some photos, which I did. Within an hour they e-mailed to say that a new bottom would be shipped out to me on Monday. On Thursday I had a tractor trailer sitting in front of my house dropping off the new bottom.

So far, the grill seems to be performing well, and the customer service was top-notch.
Freaky Tiki is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-01-2010, 04:36 PM   #39
garagewear
Got Wood.

I thought these were supposed to be made in Mississippi. I was in Lowes in Madison, AL today and they had one they had just assembled and it had those little gold Made in China stickers on the ceramic dome and bowl. Was a good looking grill and the price was $699 with the nest, shelves triple decker stainless grates. The nest actually looked pretty darn hefty. Much more so than my Chinese Grill Pod.
garagewear is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-11-2010, 08:14 AM   #40
Freaky Tiki

Updating my experience with this product so far. As earlier noted, after the first few times I used the grill, the ceramic body cracked. I notified the manufacturer, and they promptly trucked a new body. The firebowl was also cracked, and they indicated a new one would be shipped at the end of the month (April) when they got a new shipment.

I know firebowl cracking is expected and no big deal. Mine continued to crack into five pieces. One crack has actually been eroding, causing a chunk to fall out that I can no longer wedge back into place. As a consequence, the charcoal grate won't stay in and I cannot use the grill. The quality of the firebowl seems below the rest of the grill, and I wonder if there is a QC issue.

I contacted the manufacturer to check on the ETA for the replacement bowl, and was advised that they were still waiting on the shipment. So, for over a month they have no replacement part? In looking at the ceramic body they ealier sent me, it has Oriental language characters on the bottom, so I presume they are simply importing these.

I'm a bit worried about the value of a 5 year warranty (one of the points that led me to buy the product) when the "manufacturer" does not reliably stock replacement parts on a product over which I don't think they have any design or QC involvement.

Nice folks to deal with, and I believe they have good intentions, but I'm seriously considering taking advantage of Lowes 90 day return policy while I can.
Freaky Tiki is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-12-2010, 11:44 AM   #41
rexg
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

my wife saw one of these at lowe's too and I saw the made in china stickers. having bought a bubba keg a few days prior(which is also made in china but that doesnt bother me), she told me that the bayou was much prettier. I have to agree with her and almost wanted to return the keg back to home depot and get the bayou at lowes. however, ive had 3 cooks under the belt of the keg and its holding up fine so i guess ill keep it for now and just get a ceramic cooker when the time is right. ie when I can afford a BGE or a primo. :)
rexg is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-26-2010, 12:26 AM   #42
chukknob

Default cypress

I saw the Cypress in Clovis, Ca Lowes for $699. First let me say I have ordered an Egg and will be picking it up next month at the Eggfest. So, the only experience I have is with my brothers. His works great and no problems so far.

The Cypress had an awesome cart, very sturdy looking with nice casters. The cart looks a little sturdier than the egg, which is extra. Also, the Cypress comes with side tables. The egg side tables are extra. Thats about where I think the advanatages end. The ceramics look much more pourous as the other poster said. So I'm not sure how hot you can get them. Also, there were several "made in china" stickers. Not to disturbing until you see the sticker that says the outside glazing contains lead. Not good.

Once again these are just my assessments from viewing it at the store and I have not used it. Could be great you never know.
chukknob is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-26-2010, 01:58 AM   #43
Haltech
Full Fledged Farker

Do the firebowls on the eggs break to? If i was spending $700 already on a ceramic, i might as well spend a few hundred more and get the egg.
[COLOR=Lime]GREEN[/COLOR] [COLOR=SeaGreen][B]Top Gear Formula Model[/B][/COLOR] Therm0Pen
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Magenta"]Rubs Of Choice - [COLOR="Black"][B]Jacked UP BBQ & Plowboys Yardbird[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE]
Haltech is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-31-2010, 02:23 PM   #44
lunchman
Got Wood.

Greetings. First post, wasn't expecting it to be in this thread. I've had one of these for about a month and so far only a few minor issues -

o Seal on lower vent was poor, resulting in the cooker taking forever to cool down and using a lot of lump in the process. Fixed by running a bead of high temp silicone caulk in the opening between the vent and the ceramic.

o A few days ago, I noticed a number of cracks in the lower fire ring, making it difficult holding the charcoal grate in place. I emailed and sent pictures to customer service, a new one should be on its way next week. Customer service has been very good thus far. In the meantime, since I didn't want the cooker to sit idle for Memorial Day weekend, I patched it with JB Weld and for added measure, threaded some wire through the holes in the ring to help hold it together. Looks like hell, but it's doing the trick.

Re: do BGE fire rings crack? According to posts I've read in the BGE forum and on the NakedWhiz site, the answer is yes. We'll see how the quality of this Bayou Classic holds up. I liked that it came with side shelves and the cart is high quality and well built.

So far, I've done ribs, beer can chicken, steaks, burgers, franks, pizza and yesterday made use of the FireWire skewers for some awesome kabobs. I bought a Big Green Egg plate setter and a 14" Lodge cast iron pizza pan which fits the unit perfectly.

I'm having a lot of fun making up my own rubs, marinades and of course, getting hints and tips from this forum which was my main reason for joining. The joy of cooking on this vs. my gas grill has made grilling fun again.

Pics of the six FireWire skewers circled around the grill from yesterday's cook attached.

- Lunchman
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN4354.jpg (94.2 KB, 172 views)
lunchman is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-01-2010, 10:17 AM   #45
blues_n_cues
is One Chatty Farker

saw 2 @ Lowe's in Glasgow yesterday for $699. they're pretty & the lid is heavy as hell.