Meat inspections

Contracted Cookers

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Was wondering if at a comp. if you have cryovacked meat but the sell by date is past. Can the rep or inspector D.Q. your meat .I have a frig just for comps and catering buy most well before hand.

Wouldn't it be hard to make that stick, in light of people using meat frozen in cryo?

It would depend on the sanctioning body and/or the organizer.

KCBS meat inspection guidelines to not include date checking.

since I buy my meat by the case, they dont have a sale by date. I would have to carry the box flap that has the kill date on it and go from there.

We have only competed in 7 KCBS contests but have never even had the inspectors look at the label on a package of meat.Most have looked to see that the meat had nothing more then trimming done if they were not in cryo packs.We had 2 inspectors check temp with non contact therms otherwise they have just looked to see that they were in ice.

since I buy my meat by the case, they dont have a sale by date. I would have to carry the box flap that has the kill date on it and go from there.
Same here, and to make it tougher, I do all the trimming at home, cryo-suck it, and then freeze it...

Back