MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:13 AM   #1
jonboy
is One Chatty Farker

Default Ash boring bug??

This morning i cut up some wood to smoke with. Not sure if the wood is ash or pecan or something else.
I noticed saw dust falling out of the wood and then a series of holes, pathway. Then this little bug fell out. Does anyone know what it might be?
Could it be the ash boring bug?
The little critter was not too happy being disturbed this morning. It is 20 degrees outside but he didnt get cut in half.:)
Thanks for any help,
jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1521.jpg (61.6 KB, 214 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1524.jpg (30.4 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1532.jpg (25.1 KB, 212 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1534.jpg (18.5 KB, 213 views)
jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2010, 10:21 AM   #2
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Its difficult to tell via your photos.
I would locate your state goverment site and see if there is a link w/photos.
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2010, 10:28 AM   #3
ipls3355
is one Smokin' Farker

looks like a linden borer

http://www.entomology.wisc.edu/emeraldashborer/

But I'm just guessing

Crankin out Q on my ECB since 2005
UDS born September, 2007
22" Weber Kettle
18" Weber Kettle
ipls3355 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2010, 10:49 AM   #4
jonboy
is One Chatty Farker

The wood may be bartlett pear from a neighbors tree. I can not confirm that.
jonboy
jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2010, 11:46 AM   #5
Ashmont
Babbling Farker

Wasnt me wasnt me!!!!!! Just sayin!

Proud member of Brethren Weber's for life

(Rescued 7 kettles in 2007, 1 in 2008, 2 in 2009 and 1 in 2010 Three of which I have and 8 that have gone to Brethren. PM me to get on the waiting list)

Weber Kettle Dabomb
Weber Kettle Justintime
Weber Kettle (Yet to be named by Daughter) Evil Twin Suggested!
Weber Kettle Grace
WSM "Winni"
WSM "Dumas"
One Smokey Joe
UDS "Peggy Sue"
http://ashsmoderndayclubhouse.blogspot.com/
Ashmont is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2010, 12:13 PM   #6
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Do you have a county Ag Extension agent? That's where I'd start if possible
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2010, 12:50 PM   #7
boatnut
is One Chatty Farker

ash borer's , if i'm not mistaken, are normally found right under the bark. I don't think they would bore that deep into wood. that doesn't look like ash to me either. Not sure I've even heard of anyone using it to smoke with.

GOSM smoker (gas)
Masterbuilt (electric)
Weber Kettle
Weber Gasser (2)
Weber WSM

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me then a frontal lobotomy
boatnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2010, 01:11 PM   #8
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

At first glance I thought Powderpost Beetle. The color is right, the shape is right, but looking at examples I Googled, the antennae are too short.

Perhaps it is a type that I didn't see illustrated but it looks too big.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2010, 01:18 PM   #9
Bogus Chezz Hawg
is One Chatty Farker

Smash that bass tard!

Old 01-01-2010, 01:22 PM   #10
busted knuckles
Got Wood.

whatever it is, it appears to have been enjoying that wood.
busted knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2010, 01:30 PM   #11
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Looks like young pecan. I get those freaking wood boring beetles here all the time. The ones I get look like wasps, black with yellow stripes. They leave all the other wood alone, and just seem to attack the pecan only. That one you have was ready to bore it's way out in the spring. I've found everything from the larvae to the adults. This year wasn't so bad because the mockingbirds, sparrows and robins camped out in the woodpile and just picked em off. They had a freaking buffet this summer.
This site is great for identifying bugs. I will see 2-3 different types in my wood pile every year.
http://www.whatsthatbug.com/2010/01/...stump-borer-6/

They will go back to the woodpile every year and lay their eggs in the borrows they made the year before. The other pests that will move into those tunnels are leaf cutter bees. I've cut into a few logs and found the tunnels stuffed full with rose petal cuttings and leaves of all colors.
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2010, 02:28 PM   #12
BBQ Grail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashmont View Post
Wasnt me wasnt me!!!!!! Just sayin!
You beat everyone to the chance to blame you.

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2010, 02:46 PM   #13
Westexbbq

My best guess is a variation of the 'longhorn beetle'.
I found one in a bunch of mesquite mini-logs that I had ordered a few years back.
Looks pretty close but as per above, try and check it out locally if you can.

Here is a wiki link, fyi.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longhorn_beetle
Texas International Pop Festival, Labor Day 1969.
IMBAS Certified.
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die.
Always remember, no matter where ya go,
there you are.
I wanna tell you 'bout Texas radio and the big beat.
Someday, I hope to visit Penelope.
Hondo Crouch, Famous Late Mayor of Lunkenbach, Texas who advocated a 'dillo diet: "You can eat nothing but armadillos for a month, but you will have to run down and catch all the armadillos you eat and it can really take the weight off!"

Westexbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2010, 02:51 PM   #14
jack040806
is one Smokin' Farker

Not sure what it is but it looks big enough to que...

Old 01-01-2010, 04:36 PM   #15
Grillman
is One Chatty Farker

Does Your Ash Tree Have the Emerald Ash Borer?

At this time the answer to the title question is most likely “No.” There have been numerous stories in the local newspapers regarding the emerald ash borer and this is making homeowners examine their trees. Many are finding holes in their trees and worrying that the tree has this new insect.
What most people don’t realize is that there has been another type of ash borer in our area for many, many years. It is commonly attracted to ash trees that are under stress and while it can kill the tree, this is often a slow process and good maintenance of the trees coupled with insecticide treatment at the proper time can minimize the damage.
The emerald ash borer often does a lot of damage quickly. According to the USDA Forest Service many trees lose as much as 30-50 percent of their canopy in one year and the tree is often completely killed in 2-3 years.

So, how do you know which borer is in your tree? Look at the holes made. The ash borer we commonly see here makes a round hole, about 1/8-1/4 inch in diameter. The hole of the emerald ash borer is shaped like a ‘D’ with one side being distinctly flat.
At this time, we should not panic about the emerald ash borer, but we should be on the look out for it. The excerpt quoted below is from Dr. Phil Nixon, University of Illinois Entomologist. It was written in late August and gives an update on the location of the insect in the Midwest:
"Continue to watch for emerald ash borer. Recently, new infestations were reported in the Lansing, Michigan, area and in Ohio across the state line from Fort Wayne, Indiana. These infestations are considerably closer to us than those previously reported in the Detroit, Michigan, and Toledo, Ohio, areas.
Movement of this pest from infested areas is most likely on firewood and nursery stock. This pest was detected and identified in North America in July 2002, but estimates are that it has been in southeastern Michigan for 8 to 10 years. Ashes moved out as nursery stock during that time could easily have been infested. This beetle is common in younger as well as older trees. If you obtained nursery stock from that area during the last 10 years, scout areas where it was planted for signs of this beetle.
Infestations have been found in Michigan in green, white, and black ash. It would likely attack blue ash as well, but that plant is not common in southeastern Michigan. In Asia, it attacks Ulmus davidiana var. Japonica, used in some crosses for American elm replacement varieties. Look for 1/8-inch, D-shaped holes in the bark—similar to exit holes of bronze birch borer. Infested ash trees first show dieback of upper branches, progressing to death of major branches, water sprouts on the trunk, and finally, water sprouts at the base of the otherwise dead tree. If suspects are found, contact the Illinois Department of Agriculture.”

http://urbanext.illinois.edu/hortihints/0310b.htmlOctober - November 2003: