喂我西摩
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-28-2014, 12:06 PM   #1
YankeeBBQboy
Got Wood.

Default After Thanksgiving Turkey Sales - How can they be so cheap?

As a family tradition, we always have Thanksgiving turkey and equally traditional, I end up going out on Black Friday looking for a cheap turkey that I can put into the freezer to smoke during the winter months. This year, Target had 10-14 lb and 20-24 lb turkeys for 69 cents a pound and was able to score a 14 pounder for under $10.

Driving home, snug in the knowledge that I got a good bargain, I started thinking. How can Target, or any other merchant sell a turkey for 69 cents a pound? Now granted, they want to get rid of these leftover birds and they are probably not making much if any money off of the transaction. Still, if you think about it, some farm had to buy the chicks, feed them, process them and then store them before selling to Target who in turn, has to pay for transportation to the store as well as labor and other fixed costs. Watching a newscast in which they interviewed a small farmer that raised free range turkeys (and selling them for $4.50 a pound) made me wonder what we are doing and what we are compromising in order to have a cheap turkey.

Next year, we're starting a new tradition and forsaking the Butterball turkey for one that was raised on a small farm. What I'm asking is how many of you feel about this? Has it changed your BBQ'ing and eating habits by comparing the factory farm system to a more local small-time farm system.

BTW, I'n not trying to troll - just something that I have been thinking about lately.
YankeeBBQboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2014, 12:29 PM   #2
HossIsBoss
Full Fledged Farker

I think the reason Turkeys are so cheap is the stores figure if you buy your turkey there is you buy all the fixings as well and that is were they make there money,like take black Friday for instance most retailers lose money on the stuff they sell but they figure well your there you will by the batteries are whatever accresory you need for it and the impulse buys.

Old 11-28-2014, 12:32 PM   #3
ShencoSmoke
is One Chatty Farker

Yep, turkey's are lost leaders
Rotisserie Drum- [COLOR="red"]The Bird Barrel[/COLOR]
Whole Hog Pit- [COLOR="Red"]The Virginia Spinner[/COLOR]
Jumbo Jambo Madmax Franklin BBQ Rat Rod Stick Burner - [COLOR="Red"]Hoss[/COLOR]
ShencoSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2014, 12:56 PM   #4
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

They were .69 last week around us. Wonder if they are any cheaper this week.
Backwoods G2 Party & G2 Chubby
Big Green Egg XL
"Tenacious Q" Competition Team, Head Idiot
Follow Tenacious Q on Facebook!!
KCBS CBJ
Jason TQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-28-2014, 01:00 PM   #5
beteez
Got Wood.

Teeter had them for .49/ with a $40 purchase
beteez is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2014, 01:07 PM   #6
TropicDad
Full Fledged Farker

I got 2 at Publix for .59 lb, I really love smoked turkey so I'm happy.

Old 11-28-2014, 01:08 PM   #7
aawa
Babbling Farker

I got a 16lber and a 13lber from Foodlion for 47cents/lb

Goign to the store tonight to see if they have any turkeys on post sale.
Sublime Smoke UDS
RedBox Smoker
Lay Man Pitmaster IQ 110 w/ rainbox

Superest Fasterest Blue Thermapen
aawa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2014, 01:33 PM   #8
BruceB
is one Smokin' Farker

I'm all for supporting local farmers at farmers markets and such. I just can't justify spending $72.00 for a turkey (using your $4.50/lb price for a 16lb bird) when I can get one for $11 and some change. AND most likely if I'm buying my turkey at a certain store I'm buying other things for the meal also.

Bruce

22 1/2" WSM
2 18 1/2" WSM's
Weber 22 1/2" Kettle
Weber Smokey Joe Platinum
Weber Genesis Gasser
Treasurer, Great Lakes BBQ Association
Member Rubbed, Smoked and Sauced BBQ Team
KCBS/CBJ #55356
BruceB is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2014, 01:43 PM   #9
landarc

They get cheaper after the holiday, because sending them back is even more expensive than selling them at a loss.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less

SSS
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2014, 02:06 PM   #10
jasonjax
is One Chatty Farker

Sunk costs. Don't worry, they aren't losing any money in the big scheme.

As for local farms: I am thinking of trying that next year. I hear the turkeys have a little different flavor, but a lot of folks like it.
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2014, 02:12 PM   #11
dwfisk
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
They get cheaper after the holiday, because sending them back is even more expensive than selling them at a loss.
^ Yep, but remember the grocery chains order for the entire holiday season and can easily hold frozen birds thru Christmas so I usually find the best deals around the end of December. I usually put 6-8 in the chest freezer at $0.59 or less per pound.

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-28-2014, 02:50 PM   #12
smoke ninja

I take advantage of the surplus in every season. Turkeys get cheap after thanksgiving, corned beef is discounted around st. Pattys day. After Christmas and easter ive seen some real nice sales on rib roast. Ive even caught ribs real cheap after fathers day.

Help us raise funds to feed our Veterans and Homeless HERE

www.gofundme.com/2s8fv5qs
smoke ninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2014, 03:02 PM   #13
toymaster
is One Chatty Farker

I cook turkey all year so I buy them after Thanksgiving. I'll troll the supermarkets until one of them sells them for less than 50 cents a pound. One year I got them for 39 cents a pound. I bought 10 that year for about 58 dollars.
Beam's SG-01 Offset Smoker (Brenda), Chargriller Akorn (Vanessa), Backwoods Party (Victoria), Humphrey Weeble (Deedra), Brinkmann Grill King Deluxe (Baby), Weber Smokey Joe (Gretchen), Mini BGE (Keisha)

USMC - Not as lean, not as mean - Still A MARINE!
If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly
toymaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2014, 04:55 PM   #14
cooterinjapan
Found some matches.

Well turkey is hard to find in my neck of the woods. If I find it...I pay double to triple what you guys would, so don't feel bad. I got a 15lb for about $33. A steal really, considering if I order of off amazon.jp I would pay $40 for about a 5lber. I envy y'all.

Old 11-28-2014, 05:13 PM   #15
kgrigio
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeBBQboy View Post
Watching a newscast in which they interviewed a small farmer that raised free range turkeys (and selling them for $4.50 a pound) made me wonder what we are doing and what we are compromising in order to have a cheap turkey.

Next year, we're starting a new tradition and forsaking the Butterball turkey for one that was raised on a small farm. What I'm asking is how many of you feel about this? Has it changed your BBQ'ing and eating habits by comparing the factory farm system to a more local small-time farm system.

BTW, I'n not trying to troll - just something that I have been thinking about lately.
Not to be disagreeable, but I went to college in a small farming town where a lot of small and mid sized farmers raised turkeys and supplied them to the Norbest turkey processing plant. I worked closely with several of these farmers on a personal (non farming basis) but we talked a lot about their operation as it interested me. There weren't a lot of big farmers that supplied the plant, although there were some. I think that may be the case for most of the name brand turkeys, their stock comes from small to big farms. They definitely aren't organic, but I don't have any issue buying these turkeys.
kgrigio is offline   Reply With Quote