MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-27-2009, 01:20 PM   #1
TNH2OSKIER
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Char-griller offset problems

I am having a really hard time getting my Chargriller offset up to temp on windy days..I have to move the whole cooker around depending on how the wind is blowing .. anyone else have this trouble? Also, I don't know how dependable the thermometer on the lid is..Thanks for any input..You guys have been great. We have been lurking around this site for a while and it is a fantastic resource for those of us new to smoking.
TNH2OSKIER is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2009, 01:38 PM   #2
Crüe-B-Cüe
is One Chatty Farker

The lid thermos are junk. Mine would never go past 175.

Old 12-27-2009, 02:20 PM   #3
TNH2OSKIER

Yeah it says 150 right now, but it's been burning for 2 hrs..I don't enjoy fighting with this moody smoker.. No more offsets for me.

Old 12-27-2009, 02:22 PM   #4
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Get a WSM and be happy!

NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2009, 02:34 PM   #5
Crüe-B-Cüe
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNH2OSKIER View Post
Yeah it says 150 right now, but it's been burning for 2 hrs..I don't enjoy fighting with this moody smoker.. No more offsets for me.
A few mods and you can have it chugging along nicely. They are nice cookers, just need a lot of tending.

Old 12-27-2009, 02:35 PM   #6
hondad
Knows what a fatty is.

i still play with my Char-griller some, but mainly as a grill since I made a UDS. The lid thermo is junk. I would replace it, or just use an oven thermo on the grates. I never had too much problem getting to temp in the wind, so i am guessing you are probably running hotter than your reading. You can put out good bbq with that rig - it just takes a lot of baby-sitting, and is a hungry little monster. I highly recommend looking into a UDS.

Old 12-27-2009, 02:48 PM   #7
Pit Boss Honeycutt
Full Fledged Farker

I agree with everyone on the factory thermo. It is junk. Mine would burn for a couple of hours and never get over about 150. First thing is first. Buy a new thermo and mount it close to the grate.

Then what helped me out is the tuner plates and the chimney extention

Then last but not least is a fire box in your fire box. Now I can get even temps with in 10 degrees or so

Hope this all helps. My buddy Scott at BigrangeBBQ hooked me up with these tips.

Old 12-27-2009, 03:11 PM   #8
mbshop
Babbling Farker

the cg can be tempermental but a good one when tamed. to much for me to type so grab a cup of coffee or a beer or two and sit and read this
http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=1467

Old 12-27-2009, 03:16 PM   #9
Phesant
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbshop View Post
the cg can be tempermental but a good one when tamed. to much for me to type so grab a cup of coffee or a beer or two and sit and read this
http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=1467

This is great link.... I get 4 to 6 hours out of my CG and belive it or not some of the longer cooks have been when its cold.... wind can be a pain but getting it out of direct wind will expand your cook time....

WSM
Char-Griller Super Pro w/SFB
Grill Sargent
Turkey / Fish Fryer
Weber Ranch Kettle "Lucky Girl" (A Stamp, 1979), [COLOR=darkorange][B]ORANGE THERMAPEN[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]Proud member of the Zero's :thumb:[/COLOR]
Phesant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2009, 07:58 PM   #10
Bogus Chezz Hawg
is One Chatty Farker

I have my stickburner placed about 3 feet from my house. The house is a great wind block. Place your firebox intake vents facing towards the house and you shouldn't have anymore issues with the wind. As for your thermo, you should always test it against another one you know to be accurate placed inside the cooker at the cooking grate level. My old BSKD thermo read 75 degrees lower than the actual temp.

Last edited by Bogus Chezz Hawg; 12-27-2009 at 08:01 PM.. Reason: add photos
Bogus Chezz Hawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2009, 08:30 PM   #11
Philly-QueMaster
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNH2OSKIER View Post
I had one and had the same problems. I sold mine on craigslist for $75 and then built myself a drum smoker. Couldn't be happier now. The drum smokers are so much easier to control. I think you should make the switch.

Patrick
Philly-QueMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2009, 09:46 PM   #12
hondad
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly-QueMaster View Post
I had one and had the same problems. I sold mine on craigslist for $75 and then built myself a drum smoker. Couldn't be happier now. The drum smokers are so much easier to control. I think you should make the switch.

Patrick
What he said! And in addition, cheaper to run. It was not unusual for me to go through 18 lbs. of charcoal when doing a brisket or other long cook. The drum will finish the job on less than half of that, with charcoal, and therefore time, to spare.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:24 PM   #13
crd26a
Full Fledged Farker

I've got the char griller in windy Kansas and its a royal PITA, fuel hog, and has to be baby sat the entire cook. Even with the mods (chimney, tuning plates (I drilled holes in the charcoal tray and flipped mine) and new charcoal grate) it can still be a nightmare to maintain any temp.

If you're set on using it, even short term, go to Harbor Freight and find the highest rated welding blanket you can find. Double this up and put it over the main body, keeping it off the firebox and a few inches above it (it will smolder if it gets too hot, trust me). If you're looking for a cheap alternative, look at a drum smoker. For me, I'm picking up my new gravity smoker tomorrow and plan on breaking it in on Tuesday in single digit weather. Can't wait. (and I'll eventually buy a high end offset someday, but have a feeling I'll be on gravity smokers awhile)

Old 12-27-2009, 10:50 PM   #14
bigboyjon
Got rid of the matchlight.

Do the mods, use a sheet of ply-wood as wind break. I will lay a pair or two of old blue jeans on it sometimes, yes they will turn brown/might burn. On long cooks over 2 hrs after the charcoal burned I rely on wood to keep the heat up. You will burn paint off the fire box, and there no paint I can find to hold up.
bigboyjon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2009, 07:01 AM   #15
TNH2OSKIER

Thanks for all the responses folks! I like the smoker, it just ticked me off yesterday. Turns out it was burning hotter than the lid thermo said..I got a Maverick remote thermo from the MIL for christmas and that took some of the stress away from worrying about the fire..But I will definatley do the mods and maybe build a UDS, heck, just to save fuel.. Hondad is right, this IS a hungary little monster!