oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 12-24-2009, 12:30 PM   #1
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Default BBQ Brethren BBQ Team

Is there an actual BBQ Brethren Team? I was at the Harpoon Brewery contest a couple years ago and thought I saw an actual team. If yes where are they located and who's on the team. I would be interested in the history of the team. Thanks
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2009, 12:37 PM   #2
MilitantSquatter

I'll give it a shot...

It's Phil's team based out of NY. Most often it's BBQ-Brethren.com and at times Phil has/will also use the name Brothers In Smoke.

Phil should provide the historical perspective on the origination & early years as it's his baby.

There's been an evolution of team members (more like cast of characters !!), including out-of-state Brethren Jorge from TX, Parrothead from IL, Chad from FL and a few others. Lots of interesting & funny old threads on those that make for good reading.

In recent years it's been Scott (Yakfishingfool), myself (in retirement on my own), Danny aka "Maestro De Pollo" and most importantly, his son James who is the ever constant and most tenured of all. Muzzlebrake was the official Brethren roadie & teammate for the American Royal & Jack, Jorge was at the AR &nd HoDeDo was also a Brethren for a weekend at the Jack.

A few years ago, I made an attempt to put together a Brethren "national" team that would compete under the same official name aross the country to achieve best chances of maximizing KCBS TOY. With the new KCBS scoring methods it didn't really pan out. Specifically at that Harpoon contest you noted, Sledneck and I cooked as BBQ Brethren.com with Phil there as well. Sled tanked our GC chances that day with his 33rd place steak sauce brisket after a 1st & 3rd place in two other categories.

Apparently, Sledneck needs an official invitation from Phil nowadays

Last Sept.. Big Mista & BigDog cooked at the American Royal under the Brethren name as the the group could not get to KC.

The Brethren team banners really allow tenured members to fly the Brethren flag and still compete under their own name with BBQ Brethen affiliation included.. At the same time, anyone flying the Brethren flag will welcome another member in to have a beer or maybe even learn something.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles

Last edited by MilitantSquatter; 12-24-2009 at 01:45 PM..
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2009, 01:40 PM   #3
Meat@Slim's
Full Fledged Farker

Colorful history. Thanks for telling.

Old 12-24-2009, 03:42 PM   #4
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

A) I purposely tanked the brisket just as I tanked your chicken in NH so that you never enjoy winning a GC

B) Invitation? Pfffft He couldnt pay me
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2009, 03:53 PM   #5
butt head
is one Smokin' Farker

are ya feelin the love

meadow creek ts250- w/ 42 chicken cooker
butt head is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2009, 06:40 PM   #6
Yakfishingfool
Babbling Farker

Interesting....was there a post between meats and butt's? What's between meat and butts.... :)

Actually Sled is our official Slavik Song Singer!
1 Weber performer, 1 Smokey Joe Platinum
1 XL Big Green Egg
1 FEC 100
Team BBQ-Brethren.com
KCBS Certified Judge #9079
Yakfishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2009, 08:31 PM   #7
Rub
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post
The Brethren team banners really allow tenured members to fly the Brethren flag and still compete under their own name with BBQ Brethen affiliation included.. At the same time, anyone flying the Brethren flag will welcome another member in to have a beer or maybe even learn something.
Are orders still being taken and filled for banners with the team name on it? I looked at the thread for it the other day and the process appeared stalled. I was thinking about checking into one.
West Coast Offense, 3 Eyz, BBQ Guru,
Butcher BBQ, Grizzly Coolers,
Nature's Own Hardwood Charcoal
Gator Nation
Rub is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2009, 10:05 AM   #8
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
I'll give it a shot...

It's Phil's team based out of NY. Most often it's BBQ-Brethren.com and at times Phil has/will also use the name Brothers In Smoke.

Phil should provide the historical perspective on the origination & early years as it's his baby.

There's been an evolution of team members (more like cast of characters !!), including out-of-state Brethren Jorge from TX, Parrothead from IL, Chad from FL and a few others. Lots of interesting & funny old threads on those that make for good reading.

In recent years it's been Scott (Yakfishingfool), myself (in retirement on my own), Danny aka "Maestro De Pollo" and most importantly, his son James who is the ever constant and most tenured of all. Muzzlebrake was the official Brethren roadie & teammate for the American Royal & Jack, Jorge was at the AR &nd HoDeDo was also a Brethren for a weekend at the Jack.

A few years ago, I made an attempt to put together a Brethren "national" team that would compete under the same official name aross the country to achieve best chances of maximizing KCBS TOY. With the new KCBS scoring methods it didn't really pan out. Specifically at that Harpoon contest you noted, Sledneck and I cooked as BBQ Brethren.com with Phil there as well. Sled tanked our GC chances that day with his 33rd place steak sauce brisket after a 1st & 3rd place in two other categories.

Apparently, Sledneck needs an official invitation from Phil nowadays

Last Sept.. Big Mista & BigDog cooked at the American Royal under the Brethren name as the the group could not get to KC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
A) I purposely tanked the brisket just as I tanked your chicken in NH so that you never enjoy winning a GC

B) Invitation? Pfffft He couldnt pay me
I know just how he did it too... Bet he turned in his version of burnt ends... lol
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2009, 06:44 PM   #9
Mike - CSBBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rub View Post
Are orders still being taken and filled for banners with the team name on it? I looked at the thread for it the other day and the process appeared stalled. I was thinking about checking into one.

If offered the honor, we would also like to order one.

CHIX, SWINE & BOVINE Bbq.
Because Bad BBQ is Downright Criminal

[COLOR=#000080]csbbbq.com[/COLOR]
KCBS & MABA member - CBJ #21870
Jambo (Geer) Pit
Lang 84 Deluxe w/roof system
Lang 60 w/warmer
Mike - CSBBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2009, 08:18 PM   #10
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

I prefer to think of myself as driver/public relations..........but roadie is cool

and don't forget being packed in like sardines on the barren hot waste lands of southeastern pennsylvania...... Africa HOT!

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2009, 08:53 PM   #11
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Mokan Meathead was also part of the 2009 American Royal team.

Hodedo was Poobah Ameritas at the 2008 GAB Invitational.

Jorge is more of a "groupie".

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2009, 08:59 PM   #12
MilitantSquatter

Good catches Todd...

"Groupie" ?? I'll let you refer to Jorge as that.. never gonna come out of my mouth or keyboard !!! That man has guns... and knows how to use them !!! To me...just a great teammate. Here's a pic of Jorge keeping a super straight face while we made a box at Harpoon '07. He should have been laughing knowing the legs were gonna fail (again). Needless to say, we had several top three calls... chicken wasn't it.

Jorge was right there all evening trying to tame a raging 350+ fire with the first attempt using the 50 lb super thick charcoal maze basket from hell for the Spicebox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzlebrake View Post
I prefer to think of myself as driver/public relations..........but roadie is cool

and don't forget being packed in like sardines on the barren hot waste lands of southeastern pennsylvania...... Africa HOT!
Does Phil pay you more as official Brethren Rig Driver/Director of PR than as a Brethren Roadie ??

Man, you get around... Forgot about Yardley & the brutal heat !!! We got to meet the BBQ Bandit (who stirred a mean tomato sauce) & OC Pig Assassins for the first time and we stole Sledneck's WSM's.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles

Last edited by MilitantSquatter; 06-13-2010 at 10:19 PM..
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2009, 09:23 PM   #13
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

I cooked with Mista at a small IBCA contest in Palm Desert under the Brethren Banner
We beat a rookie named Harry Soo for the GC by just a few points

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2009, 09:34 PM   #14
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Good catches Todd...

I'll let you refer to Jorge as "groupie" though... Never gonna come out of my mouth or keyboard !!! Regardless a great teammate. Here's a pic of Jorge keeping a straight face while we made a box at Harpoon '07. He should have been laughing knowing the legs were gonna fail. Needless to say, we had several top three calls... chicken wasn't it..
Jorge was right there all evening trying to tame a raging 350+ fire with the first attempt using the 50 lb super thick charcoal maze basket from hell for the Spicebox.

Does Phil pay you more as official Brethren Rig Driver/Director of PR than as a Brethren Roadie ??

Man, you get around... Forgot about Yardley & the brutal heat !!! We got to meet the BBQ Bandit (who stirred a mean tomato sauce) & OC Pig Assassins for the first time and we stole Sledneck's WSM's.
Ah yes, part of the reason I tanked the brisket at harpoon .Paybacks a bitch aint it?
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-2009, 10:41 PM   #15
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

Quote:
nah pay is the same but it looks much better on business cards and credit applications

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy View Post
Jorge is more of a "groupie".
since when do groupies get to top?

IMG_1139.jpg

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote