oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 12-23-2009, 04:36 PM   #1
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Default Probe Cleaning

I think this is the right place for "food safety" issues. If not, feel free to move it, or if I don't get any traction, I'll try Q-Talk: I recently received a water resistant Thermapen (Fastest, UV absorbing blue edition), and I'm starting to think about how to keep it clean and safe at comps. When I'm at home I can simply wash it with soap after each probe, but I don't carry a sink to comps. I was looking for some kind of wipe I can use, and the only thing I've found are these. A few things about them, has any one ever used them, if so, do the seem to work well, and where do you get them? I've only seen them on UK websites. Any other suggestions for keeping the probe clean between pokes when a sink isn't available?

I also found this and thought it looked interesting. Worth a shot as a backup for 12 gbp.

dmp
dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2009, 05:35 PM   #2
CB
On the road to being a farker

first off - big ol 'oo-rah' to you for thinking about this subject...

I bet you can find something like this at a restaurant supply store or such. Or heck - you could even make up your own using some hooch to serve as the disinfectant.
Silver & H2O Smokers
Double Chef Smoker
CB940X Charcoal Grill
The Big Easy Oil-less Turkey Fryer
Big Easy Smoker-Roaster-Grill
Outdoor Stove-Top & Smoker
Rambler on-the-go! grill
CB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2009, 07:35 PM   #3
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

You better have a sink at a comp. 3 to be exact. Otherwise any disinfecting wipe will do.
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2009, 08:23 AM   #4
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

clorox disinfecting wipes available at SAMS and your local grocery store. Approved by my HD for cleaning probes. Can also get alcohol wipes at food service places.

Old 12-24-2009, 09:00 AM   #5
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Like Ford said. Clorox disinfecting wipes are available at most any grocery store.

Old 12-24-2009, 10:35 AM   #6
PCDoctor_1979
Full Fledged Farker

Depending on how strict your HD is, you could run into a little trouble with the wipes. I use a bleach solution in a spray bottle to clean things up at comps and temporary vending. That's OK with the HD as long as the bleach is not TOO strong. I got written up for the solution being too strong last spring. I forget the exact parts per million they are looking for, but it equates to 1 teaspoon of bleach per gallon of H2O. On top of that, make sure you let the probe air dry after cleaning. Using a towel to dry just gives another chance for cross contamination (according to the HD). I guess my long winded point is that the wipes may have a bleach concentration that's too high for the HD's liking. My $0.02.
Brian Sweeney - CBJ #3691 - '77 Step Van Mobile Kitchen, Horizon Marshall, WSM with Pro Q Stacker, Weber Kettle & Smokey Joe GOLD.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Clarke's Third Law
PCDoctor_1979 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2009, 12:33 PM   #7
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCDoctor_1979 View Post
Depending on how strict your HD is, you could run into a little trouble with the wipes. I use a bleach solution in a spray bottle to clean things up at comps and temporary vending. That's OK with the HD as long as the bleach is not TOO strong. I got written up for the solution being too strong last spring. I forget the exact parts per million they are looking for, but it equates to 1 teaspoon of bleach per gallon of H2O. On top of that, make sure you let the probe air dry after cleaning. Using a towel to dry just gives another chance for cross contamination (according to the HD). I guess my long winded point is that the wipes may have a bleach concentration that's too high for the HD's liking. My $0.02.
The Clorox ones had the right concentration of chemical for my HD to pass. I also have the strips for testing bleach concentration.

Old 12-24-2009, 01:29 PM   #8
PCDoctor_1979
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks, Ford. I've never taken the time to test the wipes with the test strips. Good to know.
Brian Sweeney - CBJ #3691 - '77 Step Van Mobile Kitchen, Horizon Marshall, WSM with Pro Q Stacker, Weber Kettle & Smokey Joe GOLD.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Clarke's Third Law
PCDoctor_1979 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2009, 04:04 PM   #9
Ron_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
You better have a sink at a comp. 3 to be exact. Otherwise any disinfecting wipe will do.
Yep... Assuming you are cooking KCBS competitions the rules state:

Quote:
Sanitizing of work area should be implemented
with the use of a bleach/water rinse (one cap/gallon
of water). Each contestant will provide a separate
container for washing, rinsing and sanitizing of utensils.
So just wash the probe as you would at home, rinse it and sanitize it.

The Naked Fatty!

***Annual Chicago Area Brethren Picnic! Join us!!!***

Southern Q Limo Elite Gravity Fed/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2010, 07:57 AM   #10
Dale in GA

We keep Clorox wipes and spray bottles of bleach and water handy at all times. When in doubt, spray it and wipe it down.

Dale

Old 01-03-2010, 05:38 PM   #11
chopshop

just wipe it off in your arm pit. itll be just fine

Old 01-05-2010, 02:52 AM   #12
fevoice
Knows what a fatty is.

Good one Chopshop! :)

LOL!!!
[URL="http://www.roaringforkbbq.com"]www.roaringforkbbq.com[/URL]
[EMAIL="frank@roaringforkbbq.com"]frank@roaringforkbbq.com[/EMAIL]
fevoice is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2010, 05:07 PM   #13
Jerk Pit Master
Knows what a fatty is.

I believe the Clorox wipes say "not for use on food contact surfaces" .

I've observed the HD using those small medical type alcohol swabs and actually feel uncomfortable with them sticking their probes in my food.
Jerk Pit Master is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2010, 09:24 AM   #14
Capn Kev
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford View Post
The Clorox ones had the right concentration of chemical for my HD to pass. I also have the strips for testing bleach concentration.
Ford, do you have a link to the where you find those test strips? I'd like to purchase some for the upcoming season.

Thanks!
Capn Kev is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2010, 09:41 AM   #15
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerk Pit Master View Post
I believe the Clorox wipes say "not for use on food contact surfaces" .

I've observed the HD using those small medical type alcohol swabs and actually feel uncomfortable with them sticking their probes in my food.
This is from the Clorox faq. http://www.clorox.com/products/usage.php?prod_id=cdw
"For surfaces that may come in contact with food, a potable rinse is required. "