ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 12-21-2009, 08:52 AM   #1
RubMeTender
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Stick Burners vs. Set-it and Forget-its

While I don't think there should be point disparities in competition based on what type of smoker you use, should their be awards based on smoker class?

I understand the deal with pellet smokers, gurus, and stokers and all that. It's nice to have the convenience.

That being said, do you think cooking quality competition bbq on a stick burner requires a higher skill set?
RubMeTender is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-21-2009, 09:05 AM   #2
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

I don't know it it does or doesn't require a higher skill set. I've cooked on both but I chose a pellet cooker because I like the results and I can get a little sleep. At my age sleep is important .

But, I guess I really don't understand this whole debate. Everyone cooking competitions had a choice of cookers. No one is forcing anyone to cook on a particular type of cooker. I chose a pellet cooker, the guy next to me chose an offset and the guy next to him chose a gravity feed. Each cook made his or her choice based on their style and preferences. Unless someone is violating the rules, why does it matter what someone else chose as long as you are happy with your choice?

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-21-2009, 09:08 AM   #3
BigJimsBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Higher Skill of Fire Control and Chamber Temp Maintenance = Yes

Unread 12-21-2009, 09:11 AM   #4
pat
is Blowin Smoke!

No!!

Have you tried Simply Marvelous Rubs yet??

Backwoods Party
Ole Hickory CTO
Large Big Green Egg
WSM X 2
Weber Performer
pat is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-21-2009, 09:19 AM   #5
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

What if I cook on both? What does that mean?

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-21-2009, 09:21 AM   #6
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 4

Higher skill set? No. Different or Additional Skill? Yes.

I see it this way. If someone has ONLY used an automated pit(thermostatically controlled anything, guru, stoker, digi, FE), and is then put in front of a stickburner with a pile of logs, i think they should anticipate a learning curve as they learn the characteristic of the pit. Conversly, afters years on stickburners, I had to learn a new skill set when I got the Fast Eddy and also when i started using the stoker on the spicewine. Although there are overlaps, any genre of pit will have its own skillset.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-21-2009, 09:21 AM   #7
BigJimsBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
But, I guess I really don't understand this whole debate. Everyone cooking competitions had a choice of cookers. No one is forcing anyone to cook on a particular type of cooker.
Ron,

I am guilty of starting the debate this weekend. I started debate to help justify opening the sanctioned events to allow LP Gas cookers. It is totally illogical to still maintain there is a "un-fairness" of gassers that was once true when thier are Charcoal cooker's technology are set and come back in 12 hours now.

I agree no difference in Log Burner / Pellet Feed / Gravity Feed / Guru Controled / etc. Cookers. I also believe for this reason thier is no difference for gas cookers anymore.

That is the point ... allow gas be added to all sanctioning bodies. This will, IMHO, bring Team counts up in both Backyard and Pro catagories and raise competition and prize money.

Unread 12-21-2009, 09:22 AM   #8
Buster Dog BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

It's already turning into a long offseason.

Unread 12-21-2009, 09:22 AM   #9
Heavenly Hog
Got Wood.

This was in response to the latter posts on the thread "BBQ Pitmasters = Bigger Comps". There was some discussion about stick burners being in a class of their own. Since I cook on one I'm biased. There's no doubt they require much more work and skill than a set-it and forget-it style cooker. There are too many variables in play when cooking on a stick burner that can cause things to go wrong (sleep deprivation, wood blend, over smoking, temp maintenance, etc....) To me it's much more fun and rewarding to work at it all night and achieve success!
[EMAIL="team@heavenlyhogbbq.com"]Contact Us[/EMAIL]
Heavenly Hog is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-21-2009, 09:30 AM   #10
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimsBBQ View Post
Ron,

I am guilty of starting the debate this weekend.
You didn't start it, Jim. We've been debating this for years. Your thread and the Pit Masters thread just brought ti up again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenly Hog View Post
This was in response to the latter posts on the thread "BBQ Pitmasters = Bigger Comps". There was some discussion about stick burners being in a class of their own. Since I cook on one I'm biased. There's no doubt they require much more work and skill than a set-it and forget-it style cooker. There are too many variables in play when cooking on a stick burner that can cause things to go wrong (sleep deprivation, wood blend, over smoking, temp maintenance, etc....) To me it's much more fun and rewarding to work at it all night and achieve success!
I think you'll get some argument about more skill. Different, certainly. But my point is that you made the choice to use a stick burner. No one held a gun to your head and told you that you had to do it. You made the choice knowing that the guy you are competing against may have made a different choice. Why should rules be changed or new categories be created simply because cooks exercised their right to choose their cooker of preference?

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-21-2009, 09:33 AM   #11
RubMeTender
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimsBBQ View Post

I agree no difference in Log Burner / Pellet Feed / Gravity Feed / Guru Controled / etc. Cookers. I also believe for this reason thier is no difference for gas cookers anymore.
How can you possibly compare a standard log burner to a gravity or pellet feed smoker? I agree with you that some of the pellet feed and guru style controlled smokers arent much different than gas, but log burners arent even in the discussion as far as those being the same.

Lang 84 Deluxe Warmer
Lang 84 Deluxe Warmer with Chargrill
Great Outdoors Smokey Mountain
RubMeTender is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-21-2009, 09:33 AM   #12
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Default No -He!! No

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubMeTender View Post
While I don't think there should be point disparities in competition based on what type of smoker you use, should their be awards based on smoker class?

I understand the deal with pellet smokers, gurus, and stokers and all that. It's nice to have the convenience.

That being said, do you think cooking quality competition bbq on a stick burner requires a higher skill set?
There are stick burning pits that are as easy to use as Pellet Cookers. It's all in the quality of the equipment. Why do stick burners think it's hard to build and maintain a fire? You either know how or you spend all the time fussing with it.

Note I started doing Q on a bullet, went to a $200 brinkman offset then to a small mobile Klose then to a big Klose before I went to pellets. It's easy to maintain temps if you practice and know your equipment.

Unread 12-21-2009, 09:39 AM   #13
BigJimsBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubMeTender View Post
How can you possibly compare a standard log burner to a gravity or pellet feed smoker? I agree with you that some of the pellet feed and guru style controlled smokers arent much different than gas, but log burners arent even in the discussion as far as those being the same.
Dan,

I compete on a Lang Model 84 stick burner only, so I know the technical difference. What I was trying to say is forget the special catagories, just allow LP gas as technology is at the point now to where it is no longer logical to band them in the Sanctioned events.

Unread 12-21-2009, 09:41 AM   #14
moocow
is One Chatty Farker

Not a higher skill set, just a lot more patience! That's why I got rid of my stick burner. Don't get me wrong though, I sure wish I had her back. I see a new one in my future though. Lets just settle this by saying your not a real bbq cook til you can run them all!
-www.moocowbbq.com-
-Home of the Make it Take it Drum Class-
-kCBS/ CBJ-
- Stoker powered stainless steel cabinet smoker-Mini & 3 Regular UDS-BLUE Weber OTG-Saffire ceramic grill-26" plow disc-Green mountain pellet -Haulmark Competition trailer-
moocow is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-21-2009, 09:42 AM   #15
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

I really don't care what the guy next to me is cooking on. The contest is who makes the best tasting BBQ, not what cooker requires the most skill. If a guy can get great tasting Que out of a pellet cooker or an LP assisted cooker, more power to them.

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!

Bigmista Custom Spicewine Trailer - Olivia J. PIMA
Large and Medium Spicewines
Weber Ranch Kettle - E.T.

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is online now   Reply With Quote