The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 12-20-2009, 08:14 AM   #16
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshepwnc View Post
I just got the ET-7 and love it!
The ET-73 has two probes 1 for the chamber temp (has a clip and 1 for the meat temp.
The ET-7 comes with two probes, both for meats.
The ET-7 has a larger display.

I like the ET-7 as I think it is a bit more versatile.
Can you clarify? I'm interested in one of these two, but I do want to monitor the chamber. I assume the second probe of the ET-7 can be placed in the chamber, but can you set alarms if the temp drops on this probe? What are the disadvantages of the ET-7? I'm sure there are several Brethren who have both who can elaborate. I do like the idea of a larger display. I hate having to pull out my glasses in order to check my probe.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-20-2009, 08:46 AM   #17
bam
is one Smokin' Farker

This would a good christmas gift.
http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-RediC...0639682&sr=1-2
bam is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-20-2009, 11:18 AM   #18
Abelman
Full Fledged Farker

[QUOTE=Gore;1118741 I do like the idea of a larger display. I hate having to pull out my glasses in order to check my probe. [/QUOTE]

I posted a link on the first page and you can see what the display looks like. No way you'll need reading glasses with the ET-7.

I use the second probe to monitor the grate temp sometimes. For the BGE, the Guru does it for me. I just use a piece of apple wood with a hole drilled in it and place it on the grate. Or, you can use it to monitor two different kinds of meat, etc.

It has alarms that can be set for each probe individually.

Unread 12-20-2009, 11:31 AM   #19
SirPorkaLot
Babbling Farker

Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
Can you clarify? I'm interested in one of these two, but I do want to monitor the chamber. I assume the second probe of the ET-7 can be placed in the chamber, but can you set alarms if the temp drops on this probe? What are the disadvantages of the ET-7? I'm sure there are several Brethren who have both who can elaborate. I do like the idea of a larger display. I hate having to pull out my glasses in order to check my probe.
Yes you can set temp alarm on each probe, as well as types of meat, a timer for each probe, etc..
It is designed for monitoring two different types of meat cooking at once, but you can also check air/great temps with the 2nd.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ima...1330313&sr=1-1

Back to back winner of the BBQ Brethren Throwdown with a pig leg and something funky
CBBQA & KCBS member: Sir Porkalot BBQ Team
NC & NorCal (Yes I stay confused)
BLUE Thermapen
Visit my website: http://www.sirporkalot.com
SirPorkaLot is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-20-2009, 11:38 AM   #20
yelonutz
is one Smokin' Farker

It is my understanding that the ET73 will tell you that the meat temp is 173 or whatever. The et 7 you set for Beef then Choose well done, medium or rare. When that predetermined temp is hit , the alarm goes off. The ET 73 will alarm when the temp goes either above or below a temp you select. You select an exact temp, not a degree of doneness. If you want to get some sleep, set the cooking chamber temp to 260 deg. It will alarm if it goes below that and (hopefully) wake you up to add more fuel. To sum it up, the ET73 will alarm when the set temp is hit on the way up or down. The ET 7 only alarms when the set degree (Beef well, med or rare) is hit. If the fire goes out before hitting that temp, no alarm.

NUTZ
Medium Green Egg
Mini Green Egg
New Black stoker with built in wi-fi
KCBS CBJ #20258
Drunk Uncles BBQ Team, Ruining Family Gatherings for Over 20 Years.

DAMN IT ANDY!!
yelonutz is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-20-2009, 11:43 AM   #21
Cocophone
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

That's what I do. I get it going, then go to bed. The alarm goes off if anything is going wrong. Usually, I just need to add some more water.
Cocophone is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-20-2009, 11:51 AM   #22
SirPorkaLot
Babbling Farker

Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelonutz View Post
It is my understanding that the ET73 will tell you that the meat temp is 173 or whatever. The et 7 you set for Beef then Choose well done, medium or rare. When that predetermined temp is hit , the alarm goes off. The ET 73 will alarm when the temp goes either above or below a temp you select. You select an exact temp, not a degree of doneness. If you want to get some sleep, set the cooking chamber temp to 260 deg. It will alarm if it goes below that and (hopefully) wake you up to add more fuel. To sum it up, the ET73 will alarm when the set temp is hit on the way up or down. The ET 7 only alarms when the set degree (Beef well, med or rare) is hit. If the fire goes out before hitting that temp, no alarm.

NUTZ
The ET-7 does have presets for beef, veal, lamb, chicken, pork & turkey at varying taste preferences, but you can also manually set either probe for whatever temp. you want.
It is also true the ET-7 does not have an alarm on temp. fall, just temp. rise. However I like the ability to monitor to separate meats, plus get the flexibility to monitor grate temps if i want, but I do lose the ability to get an alarm if the temps fall too low.

Back to back winner of the BBQ Brethren Throwdown with a pig leg and something funky
CBBQA & KCBS member: Sir Porkalot BBQ Team
NC & NorCal (Yes I stay confused)
BLUE Thermapen
Visit my website: http://www.sirporkalot.com
SirPorkaLot is offline   Reply With Quote