The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 12-18-2009, 01:25 PM   #1
Red57Bird
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Getting Ready to Start My UDS

Well I spent the last couple of days reviewing the various UDS threads so I decided to pick up a barrel yesterday. It contained silicone grease and I figured that a good burn would take care of any residue. Once I got it home I found out that burning and/or high heat causes the formation of formaldehyde. I was hoping to get this project completed before Christmas, but now I'm not so sure.

I'm leaning towards taking the barrel up to the farm, building a decent size fire in the pit, and putting the barrel in there to sit for an hour or 12. I'm concerned about the potential for formaldehyde residue getting in the food. What are the opinions?
Red57Bird is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-18-2009, 01:32 PM   #2
snyiper
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

May want to stop by a carwash and clean it good with rubbing alcohol then follow with some dawn soap. then wash and rinse with high pressue hose at car wash or steam clean then it should be good to burn I would think..
snyiper is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-18-2009, 01:34 PM   #3
Red57Bird
Knows what a fatty is.

Great ideas snyiper. Thanks.

Unread 12-18-2009, 02:29 PM   #4
Drifter
is one Smokin' Farker

Good luck with the build... and don't forget the pics!!

Unread 12-18-2009, 02:51 PM   #5
stiffy
Full Fledged Farker

I work with formaldehyde on the regular, don't inhale the fumes from the fire!!!!!!! not a good idea at all.
stiffy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-18-2009, 03:04 PM   #6
Red57Bird
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffy View Post
I work with formaldehyde on the regular, don't inhale the fumes from the fire!!!!!!! not a good idea at all.
Yep - that's why I'm thinking about just putting it in our fire pit and letting it burn a while. I don't plan to go near if while it is still burning. As someone that works with it, do you believe that a good burn or two will remove any traces? Thanks.