ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > For the Board

Notices

For the Board *On Topic Only* Strictly moderated. NO BAD KARMA! This forum is for questions and discussions you would like reviewed by members of the KCBS(or other BBQ orgs) Board of Directors. A clean and direct place where they do not have to wade thru day to day chatter.

Unread 12-19-2009, 11:28 AM   #76
Merl
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Great idea, but here is the math.
KCBC charges $35 to be a member.
The Bullsheet cost a little over $20 of membership dues per year.

Sanctioning:
KCBC charges $12.00 per team.
From that KCBS pays for all cost of supplies, shipping and cost.
Did I mention administrative cost of running an office?

KCBS is a bargain, but does not make huge money from contest or teams.

Now someone will ask about the $150.00 fee per rep. Yes KCBS does charge that to the organizer, as well but that sum, is paid in full to the contest rep. And yes, Contest Reps are probably overpaid for a weekend of work for $150.00. (Going to $175.00 in 2010) (just kidding about over paid.)

Just thought the math would help in this discussion.
Merl
Merl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2009, 12:53 PM   #77
Candy Sue
is one Smokin' Farker

Merl, why would the Bullsheet cost that much? I would think that most of the BS costs would be covered via advertising dollars earned.
Candy Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2009, 01:09 PM   #78
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merl View Post
Great idea, but here is the math.
KCBC charges $35 to be a member.
The Bullsheet cost a little over $20 of membership dues per year.

Sanctioning:
KCBC charges $12.00 per team.
From that KCBS pays for all cost of supplies, shipping and cost.
Did I mention administrative cost of running an office?

KCBS is a bargain, but does not make huge money from contest or teams.

Now someone will ask about the $150.00 fee per rep. Yes KCBS does charge that to the organizer, as well but that sum, is paid in full to the contest rep. And yes, Contest Reps are probably overpaid for a weekend of work for $150.00. (Going to $175.00 in 2010) (just kidding about over paid.)

Just thought the math would help in this discussion.
Merl
The BS would seem a poor investment
Move the whole thing online

The Western States Pit will use our 2009 money to pay for year end trophies

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2009, 07:27 PM   #79
QansasjayhawQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post
The 'concept' was basically derived from KCBS not being able to charge the extra funds themselves due to their tax status.....correct??? [SNIP]
It is a common misperception that non-profit organization means no-revenues. The bottom line for non-profits is that they return as much of their revenues as possible as benefits for their constituents. Many non-profits do have funds left over at the end of their tax period and they do pay a premium tax rate on those 'excess funds' - so the incentive to return the money in benefits to the members they serve is great.

But the bottom line is that what a non-profit charges (or generates) is not restricted by their taxation status. That may be more restricted by their charter . . . but not their tax status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post
Sooooo, since KCBS couldn't charge the funds and DEMAND that any team cooking a KCBS sanctioned contest WITHOUT being a member doesn't pan with the tax man, they decided to 'put it on the organizers'. Personally, the knee jerk reactions are a bit tiresome. How about the Board get off their respective asses and actually do something productive THEMSELVES instead of trying to pass the buck?
It's up to the organization's charters and rules - not the tax man. I agree that the BOD needs to accept their responsibility of growing the organization, but the bottom line of the KCBS charter is to promote BBQ and fun. I think the KCBS has done a good job of at least that.
http://www.moocowbbq.com/
Two Weber 22.5" kettles One Brinkmann Smoke'N PitMaster Deluxe One LARGE WSM! (special black glossy finish) w/Stoker! WooHoo! KCBS Member/KCBS Master CBJ #24295
Sweaty, smokey and enjoying every minute.
QansasjayhawQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2009, 01:21 PM   #80
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

Candy - Merl can jump in and give an accurate answer..... but I believe those 11,000 teams are just each contests teams added up.... not 11,000 individual teams. I think if you cull the data, it ends up at about 4700 teams vs. 11,000.
Unread 12-20-2009, 03:17 PM   #81
thillin
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'm in Texas and chose to join IBCA. There are a couple of comps a year that offer added money to IBCA members. Usually has a stipulation that you must join by a particular date. But the money is for members. 3rd place can net you more money than first, if first wasn't a member and you are.
Mini BGE-adopted 1/31/08 CL Score
Traeger 075-adopted 12/3/11 CL Score
Weber 1 touch CL Score
Weber Spirit 500 CL Score
Weber Smokey Joe Silver CL Score
BLUE & RED Thermapens
Klose 20x42-SOLD

Paddlin Pigs BBQ
Ty
thillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2009, 01:06 PM   #82
tony76248
is One Chatty Farker

One of the things that will help these organizations grow is to spread the wealth a bit. They say that if you get a call at your first comp, you are hooked for life. In that I say "have a pro series and rookie series" (like sprint and nationwide) that way you will allow some more of those cooks the opportunity to win. Unfortunately the costs associated with entering a competition are prohibitive to some folks with less means. Therefore those same folks will pick a small handful of events which to compete in each year and even then they may not get the chance to walk.

I mostly cook in IBCA and more often than not they will pay 10-15 places with the GC and RGC not winning any additional money beyond the recognition that comes with the trophy. Therefore you have a lot more winners. Last year was a limited schedule for me but I cooked in 9 comps and actually made enough money in 7 of them to cover entry fees and meat. Normally IBCA comps average about $100 to enter.

I don't believe that this is a fan based hobby so I disagree with a few folks here who would want folks nosing around. I don't mind talking to a few folks but it can become a faucet that will not turn off as in your have no control over the flow.

There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to the mashed potatoes.

Brinkmann Model 6668 Gasser
Hibachi Grill
Stumps GF223 w/ Stoker assist
ECB that wins the $
Weber One-Touch Gold 22-1/2"
#3 Komono
Large BGE w/ Stoker assist
55 gallon Drum Smoker
Wood Crate Cold smoker w/ smoke injector
No need for certification, I already know good BBQ!
tony76248 is offline   Reply With Quote