The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 12-16-2009, 11:55 PM   #1
bamaman76
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Aging A Brisket?

I recently bought one of Paul Kirks BBQ cook books. And he said that he will age a brisket for 3 weeks in his frige before a competition. Have any of you tried this method. And if you did what did you think about it?
bamaman76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-17-2009, 12:01 AM   #2
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

I don't know what a three week age will do. I do know that four years in the freezer isn't good though...

I would be very interested in your impressions if you follow Paul's instructions.

The best way to reach me is with email: larry@thebbqgrail.com
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-17-2009, 12:09 AM   #3
bamaman76
On the road to being a farker

Yea kinda want to try it but I have to be honest A little nervous about it.
bamaman76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-17-2009, 12:38 AM   #4
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have not tried it personally...but a lot of folks "wet age" the brisket in the original cryovac pack... This will help...
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...hlight=brisket
Northwest BBQ Society
We cook on MAK Grills , Big Poppa Drum Smokers, & WSM's
Proudly sponsored by Big Poppa Smokers, Kosmo's Q, Simply Marvelous BBQ, and MAK Grills
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-17-2009, 02:48 AM   #5
mdhammett
Got rid of the matchlight.

Talking dry aging

We dry age beef strip loins and rib eyes whole primal pieces for up to 5 weeks. We do it in a commercial walkin cooler. 32 degrees on a wire rack so air circulation will get on all sides. the bad bacteria thrive on moist so we place the beef on cooling racks like a cookie sheet. might loose 10 to 20 percent of the weight due to the outer dehydration of the cut. the inner areas of the primal cut are still very moist and the flavor and tenderness is enhanced greatly.
mdhammett is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-17-2009, 06:01 AM   #6
Captain Dave
is one Smokin' Farker

I wonder how long it was aged when you bought it?

Unread 12-17-2009, 06:10 AM   #7
mdhammett
Got rid of the matchlight.

Talking aged beef

I wonder how long it was aged when you bought it?

usually packed between 15 and 45 days before we start the aging process. once we start the dry process we only handle the beef with gloved hands and change out the pan below the grate the beef sits on. The air circulation and humidity is very important. I don't think a home refer would provide enough are circulation and fanning the door is raising the humidity so not a good idea.......
mdhammett is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-17-2009, 06:11 AM   #8
roksmith
is one Smokin' Farker

To know the age of the brisket when you buy it, you need to see the case they were packed in. I've never seen a packed date on the brisket cryo pack itself. Aging is supposed to allow the meat to relax and reverse the effects of rigormortise(sp?). I hear 5 to 6 weeks is the prime age.. but again that's from the packing date, not from when you buy it.

Unread 12-17-2009, 06:51 AM   #9
TnBob
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I found this on a google search. Doesn't mention brisket in particular but I would think the process would be the same.

http://www.askthemeatman.com/is_it_p...ef_at_home.htm
TnBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-17-2009, 07:10 AM   #10
monty3777
is One Chatty Farker

I do it. Somewhere between 30-40 days. When you first open the cryovac you will notice a really funky smell and that the color of the brisket has changed (to a grayish color). No big deal. They also tend to be a bit slimy. Just wash it with water before you start trimming and adding rub, etc.

Unread 12-17-2009, 07:43 AM   #11
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

There's lots of info on this site about aging. Dry aging is really for professionals with walk in coolers and temp/moisture control. I ask my butcher to age prime rib for 21-24 days for me and it makes an awsome roast.

Brisket wet aging - as said you need the kill date or packing date on the box. About 7 weeks from that date but that's in original cryovac. Now it needs a fridge that is dedicated to aging beef and storing meat. Temp controlled 34-35F and only opened once a week or so. The meat needs to be turned and you also need to look for bubbles. That's the start of gasses as the meat breaks down. Bigger bubbles = more break down. Quarter sized and you better cook right away and when you wash it after opening if it still smells then throw it away. I've had more than one brisket go in the trash when aging them.

Unread 12-17-2009, 07:49 AM   #12
monty3777
is One Chatty Farker

Hey Ford - I've heard about looking for the bubbles. But sometimes the cryovac is not totally tight around the brisket - though there are no leaks and no air getting in. How can you monitor he progress if that's the case? Always wondered about that...

Unread 12-17-2009, 07:57 AM   #13
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

I assume if the cryovac is not tight then it's been ruptured in some fashion and there is air in there so it can't be wet aged. Or it was not properly packed and got out anyway so can't wet age. If it suddenly looks different when aging assume the same.

Cryovac does not eliminate air but if done right (commercially) it limits the amount of air. Air is needed for the aging process but only in miniscule amounts.

When you get a brisket with loose packaging you may also find it's more pliable and you already get a nice bend. that's because of air in there and maybe 3 weeks of time since packing.

Unread 12-17-2009, 08:04 AM   #14
Ribbin' Randy
Full Fledged Farker

Hello all. Been a member for a while but until now have only been an observer. Have learned sooo much here, but always felt I'd leave it to the pros to respond. When this topic came up I said OH OH I KNOW THIS ONE!!! I have been dry aging beef for years. Dry aging does 2 thing in my opinion. Concentrates flavors and increases tenderness. One needs to be careful in the ageing process as consistent temperature is very important. Here are a few basic steps that I go through.
-Only use whole cuts of meat with a good deal of outer fat. After the aging, the meat will need to be trimmed. If using low fat or small cut, you'll be trimming away edible product.
-Wrap your cut with cloth, (I use dish towels--my wife loves this) and place on a rack on a sheet pan. After 24 hours, change the cloths. You will loose 15-20 % of you weight in moisture and this mostly happen in the 1st day. Changing the cloth will keep the cut the dry.
- leave the cut undisturbed for the rest of the process
I would start with a 14 day age my 1st go at it. I have aged beef up to 5 weeks and at about 3 weeks, the concentrated flavor begins to become a change in flavor...sort of a gamey flavor that I like but many of my family and friends don't care for. Hope this helps. Good luck!
Ribbin' Randy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-17-2009, 08:16 AM   #15
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Wet aging brisket is a complete waste of time, IMO. I have done it and the results were nothing to waste your time over. I never wet age and it does just fine.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote