ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > For the Board

Notices

For the Board *On Topic Only* Strictly moderated. NO BAD KARMA! This forum is for questions and discussions you would like reviewed by members of the KCBS(or other BBQ orgs) Board of Directors. A clean and direct place where they do not have to wade thru day to day chatter.

Unread 12-17-2009, 07:24 AM   #1
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default How do we recruit new cooks to the KCBS

According to a recent post by a BOD member 11,677 teams competed in contests this year. I'd assume more than half of them are not KCBS members. How can we promote the KCBS at these contests in order to increase membership?

The BBQ Tour isn;t hte answer as it does events that draw 100K+ crowds, not all the smaller contests out there. The KCBS needs a presence at these contests. Maybe a 10x10 booth with a table and person there with materials and to answer questions. Could work with organizers to staff it with volunteers and cooks.
Unread 12-17-2009, 07:46 AM   #2
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Are you volunteering Ford? :)
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2009, 07:55 AM   #3
Skip
is One Chatty Farker

Unfortunately I think the only way is to offer monetary compensation. If non KCBS teams were charged a premium to compete in KCBS sanctioned events then there would be a reason to join. It may not be the most respectable way of doing it but it would get people to join. At the same time they should tout their benefits front and center on any application for an event that charged a premium. There are masny benefits and if showcased may make people feel better about having their arm twisted. The fee would need to be more then a KCBS membership to assure that one contest teams still have a reason to join.

It might also be a good idea to have a team membership just like a family membership. Four team members per membership or so. It might just be a way of making membership more attractive.

Swamp Pit BBQ's freeloader

To part or not to part: that is the question. Whether ‘tis nobler in the mind to part and suffer the slings and arrows of ostentatious brothers or to not part when faced with a sea of dissent, and by compromise end it? To part: to succeed. Forever more: and by succeed to say we win.

Yeah it looks good...but how does it smell?

Member of The Big Guns BBQ Team Semper Fumantem

"you're eating tree RAT, tree RAT, you're eating RAT!" -- landarc
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2009, 07:58 AM   #4
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

A members only KCBS Forum and a points races that work for Hobbyist teams

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2009, 07:59 AM   #5
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

There was a little trailer that was doing just that a few years ago. Tony Stone was very involved and so was Steve Owenby if I remember correctly. Not sure what ever happened with that.
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2009, 08:38 AM   #6
Merl
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbbq View Post
There was a little trailer that was doing just that a few years ago. Tony Stone was very involved and so was Steve Owenby if I remember correctly. Not sure what ever happened with that.
About two months ago, Gene - Membership chairperson tried to reactivate the small trailer for membership recruitment. The current board said it was not time or cost effective for its purposes and directed membership to seek alternate methods of membership recruitment.

Merl
Merl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2009, 08:41 AM   #7
monty3777
is One Chatty Farker

IMO, a seriously active Mentoring System. How many folks on these forums wonder about competitions out loud? If there were good teams in place to invite these folks, in an organized and formal way, to participate in a competition on behalf of the KCBS as a "teammate for a day" you'd hook every single one of them. That's how it all started for me. An organizer hooked me up with the Texas Rib Rangers.
Unread 12-17-2009, 08:51 AM   #8
ZILLA
is Blowin Smoke!

Hi Merl, I'm not a member of KCBS. I can cook most BBQ contests in the US without any membership or affiliation, KCBS, IBCA et al. Explain to me why I should give them $30.00 for a membership? What benefit is there for me to join?

Seriously, lets run through this and see where it takes us.
ZILLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2009, 08:55 AM   #9
ZILLA
is Blowin Smoke!

I can tell you that the Restaurant Depot membership deal has me ready to join. However cooking KCBS on a regular basis is a non starter for me. It's simply too far for all but one contest and that's pushing it.
Unread 12-17-2009, 09:02 AM   #10
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZILLA View Post
I can tell you that the Restaurant Depot membership deal has me ready to join. However cooking KCBS on a regular basis is a non starter for me. It's simply too far for all but one contest and that's pushing it.
Zilla, I posed this same question months ago and got some answers. As
I'm not interested in pursuing TOY awards, dont have the time nor money
to travel all over hell's 1/2 acres and only plan to participate in 6+- cookoffs
per year, I dont see it (the benefit). Diva gave a wonderful speach about
support the organization, but of the 6+- cookoffs that I'll participate in,
only 2 or 3 are KCBS... Then there was the "allow you to vote" thing,
but frankly, I dont know those folks and couldn't care whether Fred gets
it vs. Larry... I have no worthwhile knowledgeable opinion where that is
concerned, so again, there is no real benefit (for me).
Started competing in chili cookoffs back in the 1990's and have competed in more than I care to count. I became a CBJ in MiM in 2005, then MBN and in GBA in 2010. I've probably judged 130+- BBQ comps (sanctioned and unsanctioned) over this time. That said, I really enjoy competing more than I enjoy judging, and hope to get back to doing 4 or 5 a year in the near future.
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2009, 09:07 AM   #11
Skip
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty3777 View Post
IMO, a seriously active Mentoring System. How many folks on these forums wonder about competitions out loud? If there were good teams in place to invite these folks, in an organized and formal way, to participate in a competition on behalf of the KCBS as a "teammate for a day" you'd hook every single one of them. That's how it all started for me. An organizer hooked me up with the Texas Rib Rangers.

Unfortunately you can't force people to join in but we have a mentoring program here. I think this works for those who are eager to try it out but if they are 1 or 2 contest people and don't understand the organization they will continue to do their contests and pay the same amount as KCBS members to compete.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/fo...c&daysprune=-1

I still think you have to offer a discount to members or offer a benefit for membership that really draws people in. The Bullsheet is great for those who want it but not a selling feature. The choice hotel discount does offer travellers a reason to join but wouldn't grab the masses. The restaurant depot benefit will bring in non business owners who compete a lot and may be one of the biggest draws of all the benefits. Unless you can sell the KCBS membership on its benefits we may have to think about premium pricing for non members. Could blow up in KCBS' proverbial face too though....Especially with this economy.

Swamp Pit BBQ's freeloader

To part or not to part: that is the question. Whether ‘tis nobler in the mind to part and suffer the slings and arrows of ostentatious brothers or to not part when faced with a sea of dissent, and by compromise end it? To part: to succeed. Forever more: and by succeed to say we win.

Yeah it looks good...but how does it smell?

Member of The Big Guns BBQ Team Semper Fumantem

"you're eating tree RAT, tree RAT, you're eating RAT!" -- landarc
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2009, 09:11 AM   #12
ZILLA
is Blowin Smoke!

I thought KCBS hired a marketing company or some such group to do this for them?
Unread 12-17-2009, 09:12 AM   #13
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZILLA View Post
Hi Merl, I'm not a member of KCBS. I can cook most BBQ contests in the US without any membership or affiliation, KCBS, IBCA et al. Explain to me why I should give them $30.00 for a membership? What benefit is there for me to join?

Seriously, lets run through this and see where it takes us.
Whether you travel to a contest or not, the Comfort Inn discount should help you recover that investment. Restaurant Depot should help as well, especially for you now that HEB is so dominant in your area and their pricing reflects it.

As for IBCA....added money at Trader's. I suspect that since you will be cooking on your own more this year that you'll be qualified for Trader's, and you have to have that IBCA membership to be eligible for all of that added money

BOOGITY, BOOGITY, BOOGITY!!!

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2009, 09:20 AM   #14
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
Whether you travel to a contest or not, the Comfort Inn discount should help you recover that investment. Restaurant Depot should help as well, especially for you now that HEB is so dominant in your area and their pricing reflects it.

As for IBCA....added money at Trader's. I suspect that since you will be cooking on your own more this year that you'll be qualified for Trader's, and you have to have that IBCA membership to be eligible for all of that added money
Jorge, not everyone is close to a Restaurant Depot (150+ miles to the
closest one to me; not worth the drive, frankly) and it's unlikely that I'd ever
use a discount to any hotel/motel chain, Comort Inn or not (we have an
RV so that we dont have to do that).
Started competing in chili cookoffs back in the 1990's and have competed in more than I care to count. I became a CBJ in MiM in 2005, then MBN and in GBA in 2010. I've probably judged 130+- BBQ comps (sanctioned and unsanctioned) over this time. That said, I really enjoy competing more than I enjoy judging, and hope to get back to doing 4 or 5 a year in the near future.
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2009, 09:53 AM   #15
ZILLA
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post

Yes the added money in the Texas clubs is a motivator. The Comfort Inn is a good one too.