MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 12-14-2009, 02:31 PM   #1
monty3777
is One Chatty Farker

Default practice cooks - some advice needed.

As things get cold here in Iowa I have started thinking about how to keep up the practice cooks. I am cooking a brisket today and will be foiling the brisket shortly. Then I got to thinking - why not finish in a roaster once the meat is foiled?

Clearly this isn't like a comp - but I thinking the finished product should be close. I mean, if the meat is already being protected from the smoke will it make a big difference in flavors if I use a different heat source?

The point is for me to work on flavor profiles. I realize that this method doesn't help with some of the other issues that are important to a comp cook.

What do you all think? Is this a mistake? Will the final product be different if I put the wrapped meat into a roaster?

Old 12-14-2009, 02:40 PM   #2
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

I've done pretty much the same thing using the oven once foiled; saves on staying
outside in the cold trying to keep a fire going in the beast... It's very very very close,
from what I've seen.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2009, 03:37 PM   #3
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

It can change texture based on mositure content and airflow in the cooker vs. roaster. How much? Don't know but if you really are practicing then you should be giving it the full effort it deserves. Don't be an Alan Iverson.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:15 PM   #4
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford View Post
It can change texture based on mositure content and airflow in the cooker vs. roaster. How much? Don't know but if you really are practicing then you should be giving it the full effort it deserves. Don't be an Alan Iverson.
Good point!

I noticed a lot more liquid in my foiled brisket flats that I had taken off the cooker and finished off in the oven at a party not long ago. They were swimming in their own juices.
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2009, 04:43 PM   #5
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford View Post
Monty's talkin bout practice
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2009, 04:50 PM   #6
Jeff Hughes
is one Smokin' Farker

The point of texture change is a good one. Maybe for basic flavor profiles it would not matter, maybe it would...
22" Weber Kettle(10 bucks@garage sale)
Jeff Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2009, 04:54 PM   #7
Butcher BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hughes View Post
The point of texture change is a good one. Maybe for basic flavor profiles it would not matter, maybe it would...
To be or not to be...

"Trust Your Butcher"
Often Imitated, but never Duplicated
Butcher BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2009, 04:59 PM   #8
Jeff Hughes
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butcher BBQ View Post
To be or not to be...
Yeah, I could have said that better...

Personally, I would practice like it was a comp...
22" Weber Kettle(10 bucks@garage sale)
Jeff Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-14-2009, 05:10 PM   #9
monty3777
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Bobby View Post
Monty's talkin bout practice
I'm not even talking about a comp. This is practice. I love watching that interview!

Old 12-14-2009, 10:50 PM   #10
thenewguy
Full Fledged Farker

If I'm "practicing" on competition stuff, be it flavor, texture or time I do it all the way through using the equipment I'll be using later.
This is the only way I know to validate all data and be able to make it work consistently.
thenewguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2009, 08:10 AM   #11
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

I say use the oven. Why stand outside to freeze when you can finish in the oven. Once its wrapped You will get the same finish. I finish all meats on the smoker though

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2009, 08:18 AM   #12
Buster Dog BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I would also make sure you document what you did on the cook. You can practice as much as you want but if you don't remember what you did it's all for not.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:55 AM   #13
monty3777
is One Chatty Farker

Well, I did the brisket last night. I cook hot and fast so after 2.5 hours it was foiled and put in the roaster. Like most of you I've done tons of briskets so I was able to notice if there was any significant difference between a cook with a roaster (after foil) and just keeping the pit going.

The only real difference was the burn ends - but that was a space issue. Everything else turned out pretty good. Of course the best method would be to use the off-set and I have decided not to put it in storage because I really need to use that if I going to be practicing. However, using the roaster after the meat was foiled worked pretty good.

I sold the brisket so it was important that it be done correctly - and the roaster took any of the "if" factor out of the equation. I'd say over all using the smoker/roaster method is something that will be good for testing rubs and flavor profiles. May not be exact but a good start.

BTW, thanks to Ryan for offering to loan me his Stoker. Really cool!!

Old 12-15-2009, 12:47 PM   #14
Candy Sue
is one Smokin' Farker

I'd think the main thing is the temp of the oven. Can your oven go to the temp your cooker would normally cook at? Trying to do a "real" practice in freezing temperatures is impossible. Working on flavors is not. When I'm testing marinades/rubs/sauces I tend to work with small amounts and use a BGE or Primo. I don't cook on these at a contest...
Candy Sue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-15-2009, 04:53 PM   #15
smokincracker
is one Smokin' Farker

I use my wife's oven for prac all the time
its a good tool
smokincracker is offline   Reply With Quote