MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:46 AM   #1
LouCfur
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Restaurant Review-TJ's River BBQ - Howell, Michigan

This place has been open since the summer but just finally stopped in last night.

http://www.tjbbq.com/

Food was good and got plenty of it. As always you want to try everything but with just me and the wife ordering that wasn't going to happen. They offer a dinner for 2 for $19 with a choice of 1 app, 2 entrees and 2 side dishes. For our app we chose fried shrimp and you got 6 medium sized shrimpies and the were cooked perfect. A real light batter and nice and crispy. For our 2 entrees we chose a 1/2 slab of spare ribs and 1/2 smoked chicken. Waitress said they ran out of 1/2 chickens but would sub 8 chicken wings so we agreed. Ribs were very good. Nice smoke ring in the meat, very tender and just a thin coating of sauce stuck on. Chicken wing were some of the biggest I've seen and they were very tasty. Side dishes we selected were mac & cheese and green beans. Mac and cheese was good and creamy and the wife like the green beans but I don't eat em.

From 1 to 10 I'd rate it a 7.5. Looking forward to trying some of there other menu items next time. Definitely worth a stop if your ever cruising down I96 and in the Howell area when a Q urge strikes you!

Old 12-13-2009, 06:52 PM   #2
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Thanks for the write up Lou!

"I wish my mind could forget what my eyes have seen. :shocked:"

"Heavily medicated for your protection. :doh:"

Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker :mrgreen::clap:[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/"][/URL]
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 06:23 PM   #3
mbowker641
Full Fledged Farker

Today, my daughter and I made the 30 mile drive from Lansing to Howell and ate at TJ's. We split one of their "feasts" which had ribs, brisket, pulled pork and sausage.

To be honest, the food was fair to middlin and no better than what I can make at home. Although the sausage was pretty good. The brisket was a bit on the dry side as was the pork. The ribs had the right tenderness, but nothing had much of a smoke flavor.

Their sauces are not bad, they have a mild, sweet sauce, a Carolina mustard sauce and a spicier version of the mild sauce with a bit more heat and vinegar.

They now have a bar with 8 beers on tap and a fairly good selection of bottled beer. I don't drink liquor or wine, so I can't comment on those selections.

Overall, I too would rate it a 7.5. A nice place to stop if you're already in town or passing through, but I don't recommend going out of your way.
mbowker641 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 07:42 PM   #4
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Thanks for the write up Mike!

"I wish my mind could forget what my eyes have seen. :shocked:"

"Heavily medicated for your protection. :doh:"

Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker :mrgreen::clap:[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/"][/URL]
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote