THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

firecracker jack

is one Smokin' Farker
Ok, so the wife wants to get a mixer with all the attachments, and I want to get into making my own sausages....All we're familiar with is your usual store bought stuff(kitchen-aid, viking, etc.).....Any suggestions???? :lol::lol::lol:

firecrackerjack

I've got a 20 pound stuffer along with the motor and also a 1 horse grinder from Cabela's and I've loved my set up. We can do a hundred pounds of german and country ring in a couple hours.

Ok, so the wife wants to get a mixer with all the attachments, and I want to get into making my own sausages....All we're familiar with is your usual store bought stuff(kitchen-aid, viking, etc.).....Any suggestions???? :lol::lol::lol:

firecrackerjack

If your wife wants the mixer,and you want a grinder,I'd say that the Kitchen-Aid is the way to go.I have the grinder attachment and love it.I only grind 10lbs max at a time though.If I were grinding more,I would prolly get a dedicated grinder.Here's the mixer that I use.......

http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/12372-kitchenaid-pro-620-stand-mixer.aspx

I've got a 20 pound stuffer along with the motor and also a 1 horse grinder from Cabela's and I've loved my set up. We can do a hundred pounds of german and country ring in a couple hours.

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to check them out.....I was just looking on line, seems like they've got a few to choose from.....I'll have to save the $$$$ but that's ok cause I don't want nothing that ain't going to hold up.

firecrackerjack:cool::cool:

I agree with Sparky, the KitchenAid is great as a all-in-one machine, but, much over 10 lbs and the things starts heating up. You don't want that. If you are gonna be serious, you need a dedicated grinder.

I agree with Sparky, the KitchenAid is great as a all-in-one machine, but, much over 10 lbs and the things starts heating up. You don't want that. If you are gonna be serious, you need a dedicated grinder.

I suppose cause the wife wants a new mixer, and I have to figure out just what It is that I want to do as far as making sausage, that the kitchen-aide would work for now.....Then later....After I get serious, the wife will be on her own, and I can get me a real machine....:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

thanks,
firecrackerjack

I have a 5 lb vert. stuffer which I really like. They have them in 10/ 20 lbs.... they are hand driven and lem makes really good ones all metal parts.....JMO
I have a small elec grinder for first grinds and a #32 Lem for second grinds.... 2nd grinds in a small top tubes are a pain.

i have the kitchen aid grinder and stuffer kit. The grinder is absolutely fabulous, I can zip through a pork butt in no time flat.

I've used the stuffer attachment twice making natural casing sausages, and while they were delicious they werent beautiful. And they were an awful pain to stuff. I read a tip to season the meat and stuff the sausages on the first grind, instead of grinding, seasoning, and then stuffing. I kept the meat VERY cold (nearly frozen) and it still turned to mush quickly if I wasnt careful while stuffing. This just has a learning curve and I havent quite figured it out yet...haha

i have the kitchen aid grinder and stuffer kit. The grinder is absolutely fabulous, I can zip through a pork butt in no time flat.

I've used the stuffer attachment twice making natural casing sausages, and while they were delicious they werent beautiful. And they were an awful pain to stuff. I read a tip to season the meat and stuff the sausages on the first grind, instead of grinding, seasoning, and then stuffing. I kept the meat VERY cold (nearly frozen) and it still turned to mush quickly if I wasnt careful while stuffing. This just has a learning curve and I havent quite figured it out yet...haha

Speaking of learning curves.....I'll suppose I'll need some basic info on sausage making techniques......Any good reading suggestions????:wink::wink:

firecrackerjack

You might like to check the back page of the Cabelas Fall catalog they have a grinder / slicer special. Or maybe check the web site.

A lot also comes down to how much sausage you plan to make and how often. I make links maybe 2-3 times a year. Matter of fact I'm getting ready to stuff 16lbs of butt into casing in a few minutes. I get by with my Waring Pro grinder and a 5lb Grizzly vert stuffer. Using the Waring grinder to stuff is a major farking pain and takes forever. Ther vert stuffer makes the process sooooooo much easier.
If you are serious, and will make links often in in huge quantities, then but the good stuff now. You will come to appreciate it later.

firecrackerjack

you say you want the "best" equipment??? How big's your wallet? LOL.

I probably make 50 lbs of sausage a year and grind another 50lbs of chuck for burgers. I used a cheap grinder that I got from ebay for several years till gears stripped. I went with Cabela's 1/2hp commercial model grinder. they are expensive but will not let you down. I got a 5lb vertical stuffer from Northern Tool and it works like a charm.

What does the grinder attchment for the kitchen aid cost? I'd weight that in making your decision. Either way, a dedicated stuffer is the way to go.

A lot also comes down to how much sausage you plan to make and how often. I make links maybe 2-3 times a year. Matter of fact I'm getting ready to stuff 16lbs of butt into casing in a few minutes. I get by with my Waring Pro grinder and a 5lb Grizzly vert stuffer. Using the Waring grinder to stuff is a major farking pain and takes forever. Ther vert stuffer makes the process sooooooo much easier.
If you are serious, and will make links often in in huge quantities, then but the good stuff now. You will come to appreciate it later.

Bob's advice is spot on. I had an electric "Suzy Homemaker" grinder and probably ground a couple hundred pounds of sausage with it, but it was slow as all get out, my old #10 hand grinder was faster. The fiber gears went south a couple months ago and I literally laughed, had an excuse to replace it. The problem was that I had 20 pounds of pork cubed up and seasoned, ready to grind with no time to order a new grinder. I found a Waring Pro locally and got that. It works fine for what I paid for it. At least it's got a metal housing and auger versus the plastic parts on the "Suzy Homemaker" model. When this one wears out I will spend the time and money to get a bigger grinder.

If your grinding sausage to make fatties, get the ground meat packaging system from LEM. I had looked at it, and sat on the fence for years. Finally ordered one after thirdeye recommended it. Neatest thing since sliced bread, I'm here to tell ya.
http://www.lemproducts.com/product/ground_meat_packaging_system/bags_tape

After years of fighting the stuffer attachment on the grinder I got a vertical stuffer. Another worthwhile investment. Makes stuffing simple, you can control the speed and stop when you want. Again, I got the most inexpensive unit I could find from Harbor Freight. It works very well, but has the fiber gears. I do expect them to fail some day. When they do, yep, I'll get the more expensive model with metal gears.

Do you see a theme here? Other than the fact that I'm a cheap farker? If you're just dabbling and not sure this is something you'll want to do a lot, you can get by with less. I have been "getting by" for years. If you really get into it and want to enjoy making sausage and not fight with your equipment, it can get expensive. For me it's worth the price. Making sausage is a fun and rewarding hobby.

That being said, I know a guy in Wyoming that makes a lot of sausage and still uses his Kitchen Aid:mrgreen:!

Dang I'm windy tonight.

Bob's advice is spot on. I had an electric "Suzy Homemaker" grinder and probably ground a couple hundred pounds of sausage with it, but it was slow as all get out, my old #10 hand grinder was faster. The fiber gears went south a couple months ago and I literally laughed, had an excuse to replace it. The problem was that I had 20 pounds of pork cubed up and seasoned, ready to grind with no time to order a new grinder. I found a Waring Pro locally and got that. It works fine for what I paid for it. At least it's got a metal housing and auger versus the plastic parts on the "Suzy Homemaker" model. When this one wears out I will spend the time and money to get a bigger grinder.

If your grinding sausage to make fatties, get the ground meat packaging system from LEM. I had looked at it, and sat on the fence for years. Finally ordered one after thirdeye recommended it. Neatest thing since sliced bread, I'm here to tell ya.
http://www.lemproducts.com/product/ground_meat_packaging_system/bags_tape

After years of fighting the stuffer attachment on the grinder I got a vertical stuffer. Another worthwhile investment. Makes stuffing simple, you can control the speed and stop when you want. Again, I got the most inexpensive unit I could find from Harbor Freight. It works very well, but has the fiber gears. I do expect them to fail some day. When they do, yep, I'll get the more expensive model with metal gears.

Do you see a theme here? Other than the fact that I'm a cheap farker? If you're just dabbling and not sure this is something you'll want to do a lot, you can get by with less. I have been "getting by" for years. If you really get into it and want to enjoy making sausage and not fight with your equipment, it can get expensive. For me it's worth the price. Making sausage is a fun and rewarding hobby.

That being said, I know a guy in Wyoming that makes a lot of sausage and still uses his Kitchen Aid:mrgreen:!

Dang I'm windy tonight.

Ditto! My Grizzly has fiber gears but for my usage it works. Same for my Waring. I expect they will last quite a long time for me since I don't use them that often. I believe my Waring was around 79 bones at BBB with a coupon and the Grizzly was an online order and was about 70 bones tops with shipping.
I'm with you Kevin, since I'm just starting out, I'll get the better stuff later if I get into real serious like.:wink:

Gotta get to stuffing.............have pron later.

I had a grinder that i bought from a thrift store...hand powered, mounted to my counter top...thing was awesome...wood handle broke, still great but i wore my glove...then, we got the Kitchen Aid. If I were made-a-money i would buy a dedicated grinder, but, she loves making biscuts and cakes and that kinda carp, I love the grinder, I make burgers with it. I am eyeing the sausage maker, under $70...not bad man, not bad at all.

Never mind, I just saw your thread on beef sausage and see that you did get it.

Kevin,
I've had that smoker for...geez..2 years now maybe? I love it, especially for sausage which is what I bought it for originally. I do lots of other stuff on it too.

Kevin,
I've had that smoker for...geez..2 years now maybe? I love it, especially for sausage which is what I bought it for originally. I do lots of other stuff on it too.

LOL. I did a search here on the forum regarding sausage and saw that you were thinking about getting it. Didn't look at the date of the post. My bad.:icon_blush:

Speaking of learning curves.....I'll suppose I'll need some basic info on sausage making techniques......Any good reading suggestions????:wink::wink:

firecrackerjack

I would suggest go out and look for these used:
1) The Sausage-Making Cookbook by Jerry Predika
2) The Texas Link To Sausage Making by Larry Burrier
3) Creating Delicious Sausages by J. D. Gilson
4) Sausage by A. D. Livingston

Back