The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 12-05-2009, 05:09 PM   #16
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0

Glad u gotter figured out! I use my traeger in sub-zero temps and it will only hit 170'ish unless I put a large, thick bath towel over it, then it pops up into the 200's.

I've got a buddy in Plano, should I have him stop by to taste test for me?? =)

Also curious why you insert you thermo probe vertically and not horizontally? I always push mine through into the thicker part from the end...

Canday Sue, what do you run in your pellet pooper? I find that unless I run mesq in my lil tex, I can hardly even tell it was smoked! In contrast, when cookin on charcoal, I usually use a mix of apple, alder & a bit of hickory and that smokey flavor is WAY stronger than the maesq in the pellet... even on chicken, even the color is way different! Of the other woods I have tried (all traeger brand) the only other one that makes a difference is the cherry, and I HATE that flavor!! regular cherry is good, pellet cherry tates like chit to me!
Just curious what everyone else is rockin in their pellet cookers...

We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this. ~Butz

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Last edited by KnucklHed BBQ; 12-05-2009 at 07:11 PM.. Reason: Cuz I'd like to think I'm cool like that... =)
KnucklHed BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-05-2009, 08:03 PM   #17
MillerTime
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0

I use Chris's mix from cookinpellets.com. I love the taste of those pellets compared to the traeger brand.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-05-2009, 08:20 PM   #18
Candy Sue
Take a breath!

Well, I went out to the warehouse and made my own blend with some cherry, pecan, sugar maple and mesquite all out of broken bags in one of Chris' jugs. Only pellets that I know of which will drop temps on any cooker are our apple blend. They tend to cook 10-15 degrees cooler (course with the fancy controllers, that just means they'll burn more pellets to keep the temp up). Working at a pellet plant has some advantages...I'll not hi-jack the thread any more than this!
Candy Sue is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-05-2009, 08:26 PM   #19
Wesman61
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Sue View Post
I don't know how you're getting the ash out of the firepot, but I suspect that your problem was ash build up blocking air flow. Or, funky pellets. I had a fire problem at the contest in Kennedale last month. Fire just wouldn't burn clean. Ended up putting the fire out and cleaning it hot before cooking chicken. It worked, but I won't use mesquite in my mix anymore!
It's a drag You don't want to use mesquite pellets. If I had to stop using mesquite pellets I'd just get a WSM. Gotta have that mesquite taste.
Wesman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-05-2009, 11:33 PM   #20
BBQSamYesIam
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
I use Chris's mix from cookinpellets.com. I love the taste of those pellets compared to the traeger brand.

For long cooks like brisket, I use Chris' mix for the first couple of hours and then go with oak pellets for the balance. Chris' are great for the initial flavoring, and at about $5/40lb for the oak, I think that they do the trick well for the rest of the cook.

By the way, here was a pic at about the six hour mark......sorry it's so dark!
BBQSamYesIam is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-05-2009, 11:35 PM   #21
BBQSamYesIam
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Well, I went out to the warehouse and made my own blend with some cherry, pecan, sugar maple and mesquite all out of broken bags in one of Chris' jugs. Only pellets that I know of which will drop temps on any cooker are our apple blend. They tend to cook 10-15 degrees cooler (course with the fancy controllers, that just means they'll burn more pellets to keep the temp up). Working at a pellet plant has some advantages...I'll not hi-jack the thread any more than this!

Feel free to send me some of your broken bags!! I'll pay the shipping!!!

Unread 12-05-2009, 11:38 PM   #22
BBQSamYesIam
Knows what a fatty is.

On to the next problem of the day!
So, with my delayed start, the brisket is looking to be done around 1am!! My question is "How long can I have the foil-wrapped brisket rest in the cooler after it is removed from the grill?". Am I going to have to stay up half the night to let it rest and then slice and package it, or can I let it rest until morning?
As always, THANKS!

Unread 12-05-2009, 11:51 PM   #23
BBQSamYesIam
Knows what a fatty is.

One other option......We've got a warming drawer in our kitchen. Could I just put the foil-wrapped brisket into the warming drawer and let it set until morning?

Unread 12-06-2009, 07:47 AM   #24
River City Smokehouse
is One Chatty Farker

Yea, make sure you have a good pellet like OHP and you"ll have all the BTU's you need.
Traeger Texas BBQ 075
UDS "Cool Hand Luke"
3 Weber Kettles and a Yellow Thermapen
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge #8425
River City Smokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-06-2009, 08:39 AM   #25
Candy Sue
Take a breath!

You folks that use heating fuel are truly gambling with your food's quality. I work at a pellet plant and I wouldn't use our heating fuel to cook with.
Candy Sue is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-06-2009, 10:57 AM   #26
BBQSamYesIam
Knows what a fatty is.

Well, this turned out to be my best brisket yet, even after the troubles! Sandwiches for lunch and brisket chili for dinner!!

Unread 12-06-2009, 11:30 AM   #27
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 4

Kinda late now but, Yes! Wrap that sucker up in foil really tight and line a cooler with a towel to wrap around it and that thing will stay hot for hours! I think letting them rest longer makes them more moist and tender... the bark suffers for it though.

We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this. ~Butz

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
KnucklHed BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-06-2009, 12:11 PM   #28
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

Quote:
You folks that use heating fuel are truly gambling with your food's quality. I work at a pellet plant and I wouldn't use our heating fuel to cook with.

I am in no way doubting the quality of your product, But on the other hand, I would love to see a analisys (sp) between Somerset Heating pellets and the oak that you sell. I have tried OHP and Somerset and my findings are that the OHP can have a lower temp because of the length of the pellet. But the Somerset pellets are short and deliver excellent results as a filler BTU source to stretch the yield of expensive flavour pellets.

Dan

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is online now   Reply With Quote